PDA

View Full Version : State panel endorses idea of levy tied to yearly miles logged on a car's odometer.

stephanie
12-12-2008, 11:17 AM
By Mark Johnson

Posted: Thursday, Dec. 11, 2008
RALEIGH A special transportation committee gave final approval Wednesday to a report that proposes a new tax on the number of miles a car is driven each year, as well as other options for generating highway and transit money.

The vehicle miles tax would be calculated during the car's annual inspection and likely would supplement or replace the gas tax.

Legislators on the 21st Century Transportation Committee cautioned that a new tax is unlikely to advance during a budget crisis.

The special committee was formed to propose a menu of options for transportation funding, because the state's primary sources of money – the gas tax and a tax on car sales – are flat or declining.

The group also proposed toll booths on I-77 and I-95.

Committee member Chuck McGrady, however, said the committee skirted the question of overhauling how the Department of Transportation operates after years of complaints about turf battles, political patronage and dysfunctional divisions.

“We haven't gone far enough,” said McGrady, a Henderson County commissioner.

Asheville Mayor Terry Bellamy, another committee member, cast the lone no vote on the final version of the recommendations, saying the vehicle miles tax unfairly penalized rural residents with long commutes and no public transportation.

read the rest and comments..
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/local/story/407443.html

No1tovote4
12-12-2008, 12:32 PM
The Title should read, "State Panel Endorses killing local farmers' chances at competing with the big guns."

12-12-2008, 01:07 PM
how exactly do they expect to know how many miles someone drives on a car????

5stringJeff
12-12-2008, 05:06 PM
how exactly do they expect to know how many miles someone drives on a car????

I would imagine that it would be part of getting your car tabs each year.

namvet
12-12-2008, 05:22 PM
tell em you inflate the tires and keep it tuned per DC directive. STFU and leave.

Immanuel
12-12-2008, 05:29 PM
If the tax actually replaced the gas tax on a dollar for dollar basis I would not see a problem with this method of taxation, but we all know that in the quote:

The vehicle miles tax would be calculated during the car's annual inspection and likely would supplement or replace the gas tax.

or replace will naturally be relined and it will become an additional tax upon the citizens of North Carolina.

Immie