PDA

View Full Version : Digital TV

Mr. P
12-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Ok, the big change comes in February..Does anyone know why? Is this necessary for some reason that benefits the public?

I don't watch much TV at all and I have old sets, so I'm thinking when it goes it goes. Is anyone else thinking they'll just go without TV when this happens? What's really on that matters if you don't have cable anyway? Honestly I haven't see much on cable worth watching. Is a new TV worth the cost to you just to watch broadcast TV? Of course there is the box, but for another $100 or so you can buy a new TV.

I think I'll turn off all my utilities too and chop wood for heat, grow a garden..then the TV will be a non-issue as I won't have the time to watch anyway. Maybe I'll even talk to a neighbor or two, if they're not watching TV. Ahhh the good ole days of being productive instead of watching this mindless waste of time stuff advertised as entertainment.:thumb:

Just some thoughts.

Yurt
12-12-2008, 10:11 PM
i sold my entire entertainment system, value $500 maybe (10 years old), when i moved back to SLO. TV, haven't missed it. sure i have the net, but i don't miss sitting in front of that box every night. that is, until i get my first big settlement and big ass flat screen :laugh2:

no really, haven't missed it. been nice. granted, my wife is almost finished her second degree, so i don't know, when she is done studying.... i just don't know..

**plans**

Mr. P
12-12-2008, 11:26 PM
i sold my entire entertainment system, value $500 maybe (10 years old), when i moved back to slo. Tv, haven't missed it. Sure i have the net, but i don't miss sitting in front of that box every night. That is, until i get my first big settlement and big ass flat screen :laugh2:

No really, haven't missed it. Been nice. Granted, my wife is almost finished her second degree, so i don't know, when she is done studying.... I just don't know..

**plans**

btw...Happy Birthday!

stephanie
12-12-2008, 11:40 PM
what!! you said someone is having a BIRTHDAY?

Have a happy one dang-it..I insist..

cheers to ya Yurt..:cheers2:

namvet
12-13-2008, 10:31 AM
if your hooked up on cable or dish no changes are needed. only sets that use outside antenna or rabbit ears need the box. its one of those world things. we have to catch up. we've used the NTSC system forever. this change to DTV is susposed to give a better pic.

what is DTV ?? (what is DTV ??)

namvet
12-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Ok, the big change comes in February..Does anyone know why? Is this necessary for some reason that benefits the public?

I don't watch much TV at all and I have old sets, so I'm thinking when it goes it goes. Is anyone else thinking they'll just go without TV when this happens? What's really on that matters if you don't have cable anyway? Honestly I haven't see much on cable worth watching. Is a new TV worth the cost to you just to watch broadcast TV? Of course there is the box, but for another $100 or so you can buy a new TV.

I think I'll turn off all my utilities too and chop wood for heat, grow a garden..then the TV will be a non-issue as I won't have the time to watch anyway. Maybe I'll even talk to a neighbor or two, if they're not watching TV. Ahhh the good ole days of being productive instead of watching this mindless waste of time stuff advertised as entertainment.:thumb:

Just some thoughts.

watch the horizon for our smoke signals :lol::coffee:

Mr. P
01-06-2009, 10:36 PM
I hear the Gov ran out of $$ for those $40 vouchers..Yer on a waiting list now, until more fund are available.:laugh2:

I still haven't heard a reasonable explanation for this FORCED conversion.

manu1959
01-06-2009, 10:52 PM
I hear the Gov ran out of $$ for those $40 vouchers..Yer on a waiting list now, until more fund are available.:laugh2:

I still haven't heard a reasonable explanation for this FORCED conversion.

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq2

Why are we switching to DTV?

An important benefit of the switch to all-digital broadcasting is that it will free up parts of the valuable broadcast spectrum for public safety communications (such as police, fire departments, and rescue squads). Also, some of the spectrum will be auctioned to companies that will be able to provide consumers with more advanced wireless services (such as wireless broadband).

Consumers also benefit because digital broadcasting allows stations to offer improved picture and sound quality, and digital is much more efficient than analog. For example, rather than being limited to providing one analog program, a broadcaster is able to offer a super sharp “high definition” (HD) digital program or multiple “standard definition” (SD) digital programs simultaneously through a process called “multicasting.” Multicasting allows broadcast stations to offer several channels of digital programming at the same time, using the same amount of spectrum required for one analog program. So, for example, while a station broadcasting in analog on channel 7 is only able to offer viewers one program, a station broadcasting in digital on channel 7 can offer viewers one digital program on channel 7-1, a second digital program on channel 7-2, a third digital program on channel 7-3, and so on. This means more programming choices for viewers.

DragonStryk72
01-06-2009, 11:00 PM

Just some thoughts.

lol, well, I work electronics, so, yeah, the digital switch over is actually necessary. Right now, they're running both Analog and Digital signals, even though there are no more Analog TVs being sold anymore, and they weren't even being sold much anymore. It requires extra power, time, and jobs to maintain the analog, and it just doesn't get used anymore, much like you don't see many telegraph offices anymore.

It's not even that expensive to get the converter, even. You can actually get a government coupon for $40 off the price, which means it only costs $10, and they usually send you two, since most people these days have more than one.

I do agree, though, we are too over-connected these days, and 'stranger danger' has made us a bunch of paranoid nutjobs.

Mr. P
01-06-2009, 11:04 PM
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq2

Why are we switching to DTV?

An important benefit of the switch to all-digital broadcasting is that it will free up parts of the valuable broadcast spectrum for public safety communications (such as police, fire departments, and rescue squads). Also, some of the spectrum will be auctioned to companies that will be able to provide consumers with more advanced wireless services (such as wireless broadband).

Consumers also benefit because digital broadcasting allows stations to offer improved picture and sound quality, and digital is much more efficient than analog. For example, rather than being limited to providing one analog program, a broadcaster is able to offer a super sharp “high definition” (HD) digital program or multiple “standard definition” (SD) digital programs simultaneously through a process called “multicasting.” Multicasting allows broadcast stations to offer several channels of digital programming at the same time, using the same amount of spectrum required for one analog program. So, for example, while a station broadcasting in analog on channel 7 is only able to offer viewers one program, a station broadcasting in digital on channel 7 can offer viewers one digital program on channel 7-1, a second digital program on channel 7-2, a third digital program on channel 7-3, and so on. This means more programming choices for viewers.

Heard all that and think it's BS.

Why does the Gov care about yer improved picture and sound quality?
As far as the police ems etc..different freq. rang anyway
As far as more channels...what are there now 100's? and none are worth a chit.

manu1959
01-06-2009, 11:07 PM

paranoid old man..............

Mr. P
01-06-2009, 11:23 PM
paranoid old man..............

:laugh2: Nah, just wondering what the legit reason is.

manu1959
01-06-2009, 11:26 PM
:laugh2: Nah, just wondering what the legit reason is.

the ability for the government to view into your house and see what you are doing only works with digital tv ...

Mr. P
01-06-2009, 11:30 PM
the ability for the government to view into your house and see what you are doing only works with digital tv ...

Damn glad I don't have one then! Fooled them, huh? :laugh2:

manu1959
01-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Damn glad I don't have one then! Fooled them, huh? :laugh2:

do you have a microwave......

krisy
01-06-2009, 11:39 PM
I can personally tell you all that digital t.v. sucks. On our living room t.v.,it has made the picture horrible. The minute my husband hooked it up,everything white on t.v. is now a giant glare. My mom told me she read somewhere that some people would need special antennas even with the digital for this reason.

It's a pain in the but and the picure on our bedroom t.v. is no better either. I have been complaining for a while about this. I wish we could get cable back,but had to get rid of it for now.

Sitarro
01-06-2009, 11:49 PM

Since you don't get to see the history channel, you have missed an incredibly good show called dogfight. It went through the history of dogfighting from the first in WW1 through WW2, Korea, Vietnam and Iraq. The show interviewed the actual pilots when available and through incredible animation techniques, showed from numerous angles, dogfights that stood out in pilot's memories. In some instances they had both the pilot of a B-17 and the pilot of the ME-109 that rammed him or a Japanese zero pilot and his adversary in a P-40. Incredibly well done. The History channel is worth the cost of basic cable by itself. There are plenty of shows and channels that are definitely worth a chit. I've never understood the thought that television is worthless, there is a wealth of information on television, it's up to the operator to find it.

Mr. P
01-06-2009, 11:51 PM
do you have a microwave......

Yes and it's covered in foil to prevent the spies from monitoring me! :thumb:

manu1959
01-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Yes and it's covered in foil to prevent the spies from monitoring me! :thumb:

:laugh2::clap::laugh2::clap::laugh2:

namvet
01-07-2009, 08:58 AM
you still have to have a cable box to convert analog to HD digital. we tried it and it really was not that great on HD broadcasts. and we have HDTV's. I took em back. waste of $$$$. so I upgraded to road runner turbo. there's a diff I could see !!!!

PostmodernProphet
01-07-2009, 09:59 AM
nonsense, we don't need digital for that....by the way, are you ever going to dust behind those curtains, it's a mess up there.....

Immanuel
01-07-2009, 10:15 AM

What you actually think they care about the public?

Immie

namvet
01-07-2009, 10:19 AM
if your on cable or dish your covered. it only affects those dumb looking rabbit ears or outside tenna................