PDA

View Full Version : Cyber cops on their way?

stephanie
12-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Obama urged to establish new office for regulating Internet

Posted: December 09, 2008
10:36 pm Eastern

By Drew Zahn
© 2008 WorldNetDaily

A panel of web experts from government, private and the military sectors released a report yesterday urging the next president to establish a new office of cyberspace security and begin federal regulation of the Internet.

The report, "Securing Cyberspace for the 44th Presidency," from the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington, D.C., think tank established during the Cold War, alleges the Department of Homeland Security has failed to secure the Internet and new measures are needed – despite inevitable concerns about online privacy – to keep America safe.

"We still have an industrial-age government that was organized a century ago," said Jim Lewis, one of CSIS's directors, as reported by the San Francisco Chronicle. "The DHS has a 1970s-style solution to a 21st century problem."

"The United States must treat cybersecurity as one of the most important national security challenges it faces," the CSIS panel asserts in its report. "This is a strategic issue on par with weapons of mass destruction and global jihad."

To back its claim, the panel cites a litany of cybersecurity breaches that it claims hit sensitive areas in 2007 alone:

read it all..
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=83156

12-13-2008, 01:14 PM
I see some serious jurisdiction and search and seizure issues with this.

Missileman
12-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I see some serious jurisdiction and search and seizure issues with this.

Nah, it's called implied consent.

Silver
12-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Its called "Democrats in total power".......

and the idiots were afraid Bush would hear you ordering your pizza with an illegal wiretap.......ha..

Mr. P
12-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Nah, it's called implied consent.

Its called "Democrats in total power".......

and the idiots were afraid Bush would hear you ordering your pizza with an illegal wiretap.......ha..

Yer both wrong. It's called BIG BROTHER.

Missileman
12-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Yer both wrong. It's called BIG BROTHER.

Implied consent was policy for computer use in the military...you watch, that'll become the model for internet policing.

Mr. P
12-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Implied consent was policy for computer use in the military...you watch, that'll become the model for internet policing.

It is in business too..and yeah it may go that way for the public too, IF we let it.

Missileman
12-13-2008, 02:53 PM
It is in business too..and yeah it may go that way for the public too, IF we let it.

I'm not saying I'm in favor, only suggesting that there are ways to make warrants and such unnecessary.

Mr. P
12-13-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm not saying I'm in favor, only suggesting that there are ways to make warrants and such unnecessary.

That's true...but do you think that's the intent? Or would the intent be more about "control/censorship" of information under the guise of prevention of "terrorism" or "Hackers"? I don't trust government fingers in anything, much less the world wide web..damn look at China. Think of all the "Just temporary until..." things that the US government have started that have become PERMANENT.

I don't want the Gov. more involved in public life than they already are, which IS too much now.

Binky
12-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Isn't there enough damn offices in our government? The trouble with Washinton is that there are far too many turds in it and not enough toilets.

Missileman
12-13-2008, 04:35 PM
That's true...but do you think that's the intent? Or would the intent be more about "control/censorship" of information under the guise of prevention of "terrorism" or "Hackers"? I don't trust government fingers in anything, much less the world wide web..damn look at China. Think of all the "Just temporary until..." things that the US government have started that have become PERMANENT.

I don't want the Gov. more involved in public life than they already are, which IS too much now.

Agreed...but I won't be surprised if they stick their noses into it in the name of "protecting" us.