PDA

View Full Version : After 15 Years, North Carolina Plant Unionizes

Psychoblues
12-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Considering the blustering threats towards the American workers by Sens. Corker, Shelby, etc. this past week I suspect our dear country will see more activation by regular Americans to demand and protect their rights in the very near and even distant future. The dilemma that the Republicans would provide for us is now well documented and without doubt!!!!!!!!!!!! Other articles and information to follow.

By STEVEN GREENHOUSE
Published: December 12, 2008

After an expensive and emotional 15-year organizing battle, workers at the world’s largest hog-killing plant, the Smithfield Packing slaughterhouse in Tar Heel, N.C., have voted to unionize.

Skip to next paragraph
Related
Union, in Organizing Fight, Tangles With Celebrity Cook (April 20, 2007) The United Food and Commercial Workers, which had lost unionization elections at the 5,000-worker plant in 1994 and 1997, announced late Thursday that it had finally won. The victory was significant in a region known for hostility toward organized labor.

The vote was one of the biggest private-sector union successes in years, and officials from the United Food and Commercial Workers said it was the largest in that union’s history.

The union won by 2,041 votes to 1,879 after two years of turmoil at the plant. As a result of a federal crackdown on illegal immigrants, more than 1,500 Hispanic workers have left the plant. Its work force is now 60 percent black, up from around 20 percent two years ago.

After the results were announced, Wanda Blue, a hog counter, was among the many workers who were celebrating.

“It feels great,” said Ms. Blue, who makes $11.90 an hour and has worked at Smithfield for five years. “It’s like how Obama felt when he won. We made history.”

“I favored the union because of respect,” said Ms. Blue, who is black. “We deserve more respect than we’re getting. When we were hurt or sick, we weren’t getting treated like we should.”.......................................... ...........

Much More: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/13/us/13smithfield.html?_r=1&hp

You can only screw over people for so long and eventually they will fight back. You can bank on that and put it with whatever you cheated them out of, if you're afraid of them fighting back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I get anyone something to settle in with?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Binky
12-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Well, unions were started to begin with to protect the workers from abusive bosses and owners and to make better working conditions, and better wages etc. In a day and age when the powers that be are trying to break the unions, it's amazing and good to hear that another one has been created.

Good for them. :dance: :clap:

Yurt
12-14-2008, 12:00 PM
and just how are they not beign respected? just how are things so bad for them? $12 an hour is bad? then get another job...look at how many more americans work there due to getting rid of illegals, how is that bad? yes, conditions must be so terrible that americans took the place of all the illegals....what nonsense.

and if you notice, the vote was nearly even, so the union is not entirely wanted or needed. they all chose to work there, and the article did not cite one single negative thing about working there. those who didn't want the union are not going to be forced to pay union dues, unless of course there is an opt out which i doubt.

darin
12-14-2008, 04:16 PM
This is a dark day for that company...Unions strip freedoms.

April15
12-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Samuel Gompers may smile again.

Psychoblues
12-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Doesn't anybody appreciate the bloody history of labor relations in this country anymore? Doesn't anyone ever listen to old Woodie Guthrie jamms?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!

Our Unions have done more for the American workers and general citizens than any politician has ever done. The collective voices of the people can be quieted for a time but when injustice rears it's ugly head the people will once again be heard!!!!!!!!! That's a natural American FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Binky
12-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Doesn't anybody appreciate the bloody history of labor relations in this country anymore? Doesn't anyone ever listen to old Woodie Guthrie jamms?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!

Our Unions have done more for the American workers and general citizens than any politician has ever done. The collective voices of the people can be quieted for a time but when injustice rears it's ugly head the people will once again be heard!!!!!!!!! That's a natural American FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Problem is, people are more worried and jealious about the wages and benefits the workers get, than to give a thought as to what took place to begin with that led to voting in the union. They don't give a damn about what good the unions have done. They only see them as greedy because they, themselves aren't getting those wages. It always comes back to the money.

Psychoblues
12-17-2008, 01:49 AM
It's a premeditated and certainly planned murder by fear of sustained self survival propagated by inerests other than our own, binky.

Problem is, people are more worried and jealious about the wages and benefits the workers get, than to give a thought as to what took place to begin with that led to voting in the union. They don't give a damn about what good the unions have done. They only see them as greedy because they, themselves aren't getting those wages. It always comes back to the money.

This is 2008. We are smarter than we used to be. Correct?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!

How 'bout a sasparilly?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

Binky
12-17-2008, 01:58 AM
I used to think we were smarter than we used to be, but I've been a bit skeptical for awhile now. It seems we can't stop ourselves from repeating the same asinine things over again, causing ourselves continual pain and suffering. Apparently, we aren't as smart as I thought, because we just don't seem to pay attention and learn from past events.

Psychoblues
12-17-2008, 02:03 AM
It's called living in America, Binky.

I used to think we were smarter than we used to be, but I've been a bit skeptical for awhile now. It seems we can't stop ourselves from repeating the same asinine things over again, causing ourselves continual pain and suffering. Apparently, we aren't as smart as I thought, because we just don't seem to pay attention and learn from past events.

Welcome to the real world.

Can I get you a refreshment?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

Binky
12-17-2008, 02:21 AM
How about a doobie? :dance:

Psychoblues
12-17-2008, 03:45 AM
I'm a juice freak, Binky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about a doobie? :dance:

But I appreciate the offer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Binky
12-17-2008, 10:18 AM
I'll take a toke for ya! :420:

Psychoblues
12-21-2008, 03:30 AM
And I'll tip a cold one for ya, Binky, and wish for you nothing but the very best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll take a toke for ya! :420:

I'm into real freedoms, Binky, not just some bullshit some here would verbalize and yet ostracize and condemn you for?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

How about some grape juice?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I wouldn't want anything to interfere with your most excellent buzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Binky
12-21-2008, 09:48 AM
And I'll tip a cold one for ya, Binky, and wish for you nothing but the very best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm into real freedoms, Binky, not just some bullshit some here would verbalize and yet ostracize and condemn you for?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

How about some grape juice?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I wouldn't want anything to interfere with your most excellent buzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Naaa, but I'll take a diet coke, please. And with my most excellent buzz the worst that would ever happen is I'd be searching the cupboards and fridge for some piggin' out food, eat and then fall asleep. It does tend to make one relaxed and able to nod off for a nice long nap. Ahhh......

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 02:38 AM
Binky, please be aware of where you are posting your entertainments.

Naaa, but I'll take a diet coke, please. And with my most excellent buzz the worst that would ever happen is I'd be searching the cupboards and fridge for some piggin' out food, eat and then fall asleep. It does tend to make one relaxed and able to nod off for a nice long nap. Ahhh......

The internet is not private and there are some here that would be more than glad to snitch you out, if you know what I mean?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues