PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my window fluid?

Binky
12-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I've refilled it, replaced the cap and tried squirting it on the windows and nothing comes out. What's up with that? I don't want to drive until I can figure out what silly thing is wrong with it.

darin
12-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Does it make a noise when you try to activate it?

Little-Acorn
12-16-2008, 11:37 AM
The tubes that bring it from the reservoir to the windshield sprayers, might be clogged with dirt. Most often happens right at the nozzles.

Or the little electric pump might have gone out, especially if you tried to spray fluid earlier when the reservoir was empty. Either a fuse blew, or the pump motor itself died.

Or, if you're in a really cold area, you might have gotten some water or something in the nozzles and they froze. Can also happen if you watered down the washer fluid. Five years in Minnesota, we ALWAYS used it full strength.

Or, if you're driving an old VW, your spare tire is flat.

Binky
12-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Only noise it makes is the same one it always does when you hit the button for the wash to squirt and then the wipers begin moving. The tiny hole where the fluid squirts from isn't plugged on the outside. So unless it's somewhere underneigth then I can't see it. I'm in Michigan so I don't want to drive without it working. First thing that would happen is someone would spit up gunk on my window and there I'd be with no way to clean it off.

Mr. P
12-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Only noise it makes is the same one it always does when you hit the button for the wash to squirt and then the wipers begin moving. The tiny hole where the fluid squirts from isn't plugged on the outside. So unless it's somewhere underneigth then I can't see it. I'm in Michigan so I don't want to drive without it working. First thing that would happen is someone would spit up gunk on my window and there I'd be with no way to clean it off.

broken or disconnected hose.

darin
12-16-2008, 12:05 PM
When you lift the hood look for the hoses running up into it. Those are the washer-fluid hoses.

Is it cold outside? Could be water has frozen in the hoses.

You can try washing the nozzles themselves w/ CLR, etc, too.

Abbey Marie
12-16-2008, 12:33 PM
I have a similar problem, but definitely not cold-related as it started in the warm weather. I can hear the same noise as ever. We checked the hoses and they are connected. In fact, a tiny bit of water comes out, but it doesn't come close to hitting the windshield. I imagine the lines are about 90% clogged, but have no idea how to clear them.

Do I put something like CLR into the washer fluid reservoir?

PostmodernProphet
12-16-2008, 01:20 PM
I have a similar problem, but definitely not cold-related as it started in the warm weather. I can hear the same noise as ever. We checked the hoses and they are connected. In fact, a tiny bit of water comes out, but it doesn't come close to hitting the windshield. I imagine the lines are about 90% clogged, but have no idea how to clear them.

Do I put something like CLR into the washer fluid reservoir?

CLR shouldn't be necessary as lime buildup is highly unlikely.....try disconnecting the tube where it connects to the wiper and blow (not suck) to see if you can clear it....

April15
12-16-2008, 02:23 PM
You could use compressed air or buy new tubes as if they are clogged most likely the tubes are rotted.

Immanuel
12-16-2008, 02:55 PM
The tubes that bring it from the reservoir to the windshield sprayers, might be clogged with dirt. Most often happens right at the nozzles.

Or the little electric pump might have gone out, especially if you tried to spray fluid earlier when the reservoir was empty. Either a fuse blew, or the pump motor itself died.

Or, if you're in a really cold area, you might have gotten some water or something in the nozzles and they froze. Can also happen if you watered down the washer fluid. Five years in Minnesota, we ALWAYS used it full strength.

Or, if you're driving an old VW, your spare tire is flat.

broken or disconnected hose.

When you lift the hood look for the hoses running up into it. Those are the washer-fluid hoses.

Is it cold outside? Could be water has frozen in the hoses.

You can try washing the nozzles themselves w/ CLR, etc, too.

CLR shouldn't be necessary as lime buildup is highly unlikely.....try disconnecting the tube where it connects to the wiper and blow (not suck) to see if you can clear it....

You could use compressed air or buy new tubes as if they are clogged most likely the tubes are rotted.

You guys sure are not helping the economy at all!

What's that matter with you? Don't you know that when something like that breaks it's time to buy a new Ford? Get with the program will ya? :poke:

Immie

Yurt
12-16-2008, 03:17 PM
when i lived in the nw my 4runner nozzles often froze or got extremely dirty in the winter and i found that just wiping the nozzles worked. may not work for you, but it worked for me everytime.

Mr. P
12-16-2008, 03:29 PM

What's that matter with you? Don't you know that when something like that breaks it's time to buy a new Ford? Get with the program will ya? :poke:

Immie

I'm helping my economy..I sent her an invoice. :laugh2:

PostmodernProphet
12-16-2008, 03:32 PM
/to the tune of something by John Philips Sousa....

"I'm a Yankee Doodle Spender, a Yankee Doodle Buy or Die....a real live customer of Uncle Sam, Born on Black Fri---day....

Noir
12-16-2008, 03:36 PM

Immie

Immie, ya's are all going to buy a new ford, the bailout memo?
You can't expect her to shell out for two new cars can you?
:p

Abbey Marie
12-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Well, it IS my birthday and all. You know what, I'm reasonable. I won't even ask for the giant red bow on top of the car. :beer:

Abbey Marie
12-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. :cheers2:

Noir
12-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Well, it IS my birthday and all. You know what, I'm reasonable. I won't even ask for the giant red bow on top of the car. :beer:

^.^

Happy b-day

Classact
12-16-2008, 05:58 PM
The washer system is pretty simple, first check your fuses and if good just look under the hood and disconnect the hose near the sprayer and have someone activate the washer if water shoots out it's the sprayer on the hood that is cliped on with simple clips that slide out, take it out and either attempt to clean it or buy a new one. If no water comes out of the hose then find the fill tank, the little pump is inside the bottom of the tank, find the power leads to that little pump and assure the connections are connected. Then cut the hose above the tank water level and have a friend run the washer if water shoots out then the pump is good and all you have to do is replace the hose, you can buy the hose at an auto supply or at Walmart cheaper in the aquarium supplies section. If the pump is not working then have the power leads tested with a volt meter, if you have power then the pump is broke. Go to a junker and pick up the whole damned tank with a pump for just a few bucks... but the pumps almost never wear out so you will probably fix it with the other steps.

Note if you don't have a electronic tester you can test the wires going to the pump with a dome light from the car by using two bare wires inserted into the connections while someone activates the pump touch the wires to each end of the light. Or you could use a section from a discarded christmas tree light, just cut one light out leaving the two leads and insure the light bulb is good and you have a 12 volt tester.

namvet
12-18-2008, 03:01 PM
both sprayers stopped working on my truck. it was a bad pump under under the fluid bottle.

No1tovote4
12-18-2008, 10:18 PM
both sprayers stopped working on my truck. it was a bad pump under under the fluid bottle.
Both of mine stopped working. Apparently it is necessary to keep putting fluid in there.

namvet
12-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Both of mine stopped working. Apparently it is necessary to keep putting fluid in there.

you are truely a mastermind. don't for the gas