PDA

View Full Version : This is a TV question..

stephanie
03-26-2007, 01:41 AM
I've had this Hitachi 35" tv for 13yrs..Great tv I really liked it..
And as I said it lasted for 13yrs..
sometime last yr I believe the picture tube went out..
I'm not really in need of the new fancy type tv today, can't really afford a new one right now..
I haven't got it looked at yet, because it's a monster of a tv and has to be hauled 80mls into Fairbanks, and it was winter..

The question..
Do you think this tv would be worth fixing?
Now give your honest opinion, I can take it...
Already a couple of my friend have said, to give a burial and say goodbye.:laugh2:

Here's a couple picture's..
If anyone knows about tv or even if you don't........I like your opinion..

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/MVC-464S.jpg

Here's what it's doing....I'm assuming it's a picture tube?
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/MVC-465S.jpg

Thanks..

jimnyc
03-26-2007, 03:38 AM
13yrs? BURY IT! Most of my TV's get a good 5yrs if I'm lucky. Shop around and look for sales, you can probably get a nice one for just a little more than it would cost you to have it fixed.

jackass
03-26-2007, 06:51 AM
Honestly...I think its time to buy a new one. In a couple of years your going to have to buy a converter to use such a tv. Might as well just take the hit now and get a new one.

Gaffer
03-26-2007, 07:34 AM
If the picture tube went bad then its just as cheap to get a new one. Probably can get a new one cheaper than getting it fixed.

Mr. P
03-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Had one just like it, Steph, but a different brand name.

The cost to fix it was high “if” the parts could be found to start with, it seems they’re not making them anymore..
I even tried to just give it away to repair people for the ‘good’ parts in it, they weren’t even interested.

I trashed it.

stephanie
03-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks for your opinions..

I guess deep down I knew it was probably better to get rid it...But since it lasted so long, and the newer TVs today, don't seem to last that long..
I wondered if just fixing it, it would last another 13yrs...:laugh2:

:cheers2:

jackass
03-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for your opinions..

I guess deep down I knew it was probably better to get rid it...But since it lasted so long, and the newer TVs today, don't seem to last that long..
I wondered if just fixing it, it would last another 13yrs...:laugh2:

You wish!! :laugh2:

stephanie
03-26-2007, 01:44 PM
You wish!! :laugh2:

:laugh2:

glockmail
03-26-2007, 02:19 PM
I had an old TV fixed one time and the repair place guaranteed it for 6 weeks. It lasted 7. That was when I was just out of college with money tight, so I gave up TV for a year. You'd be surprised how easy that was.

5stringJeff
03-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Go buy an HDTV. That will be the new standard in 3-4 years anyway.

glockmail
03-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Go buy an HDTV. That will be the new standard in 3-4 years anyway.

Can't you but a certain vidoe card for a desktop computer and bring in antenna/ cable signals?

jackass
03-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Can't you but a certain vidoe card for a desktop computer and bring in antenna/ cable signals?

Sure can!

Psychoblues
03-28-2007, 03:56 AM
Staphy,

Your box is history. Give it up, let it go, it ain't coming back. Technical surgery won't help it, it will only prolong the suffering and the denials. Save your dough and stop watching TV, buy a used one that works or spend a little, adventure if you will, and go out and get you an HDTV with a built in converter. I just got a Sony Bravia 4220 and I don't have an HDTV receiver for my satellite system yet but my picture is so far superior to anything I have ever seen before that I have decided not to upgrade my DirectTV system until I absolutely have to do it. I may be missing something but so far I don't realize it. What's the old adage? What they don't know won't hurt 'em?!?!?!?!?!?!

stephanie
03-28-2007, 04:18 AM
Staphy,

Your box is history. Give it up, let it go, it ain't coming back. Technical surgery won't help it, it will only prolong the suffering and the denials. Save your dough and stop watching TV, buy a used one that works or spend a little, adventure if you will, and go out and get you an HDTV with a built in converter. I just got a Sony Bravia 4220 and I don't have an HDTV receiver for my satellite system yet but my picture is so far superior to anything I have ever seen before that I have decided not to upgrade my Directv system until I absolutely have to do it. I may be missing something but so far I don't realize it. What's the old adage? What they don't know won't hurt 'em?!?!?!?!?!?!

Dammit..I knew all along I was wishing for the TV gods to save this TV..
But that new fangled stuff.....HDTV, came along and destroyed my dreams..

Thanks for your absolute honest opinions..
I knew I could ask, and receive the best honest advice..

Thanks All......I appreciate it......:cheers2:

Abbey Marie
03-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Stephanie, we still have a regular TV, I think it is around 30", and I was happy with it. But the other night we went to dinner at an English style pub to watch the NCAA's, and they had a wide-screen HDTV model TV on the wall. The picture was amazing; it was like watching a different game. Now, I want one. So, go for it!

mrg666
03-28-2007, 02:23 PM
over here (uk)
over that amount of years t.v prices have dropped dramaticly so id go with the flow
rip mr (or mrs) t.v

Psychoblues
03-30-2007, 05:21 AM
This is for Abbey and Stephanie. The price of an HDTV have gone down dramatically in the last year or so. They still aren't cheap but what are we comparing them to? The old analogue stuff will soon be completely history. Invest wisely and only when you need to invest.

Stephanie, we still have a regular TV, I think it is around 30", and I was happy with it. But the other night we went to dinner at an English style pub to watch the NCAA's, and they had a wide-screen HDTV model TV on the wall. The picture was amazing; it was like watching a different game. Now, I want one. So, go for it!

If the old stuff still works, great. If it quits, don't buy into more of the old stuff is my philosophy.

stephanie
03-30-2007, 07:04 AM
This is for Abbey and Stephanie. The price of an HDTV have gone down dramatically in the last year or so. They still aren't cheap but what are we comparing them to? The old analogue stuff will soon be completely history. Invest wisely and only when you need to invest.

If the old stuff still works, great. If it quits, don't buy into more of the old stuff is my philosophy.

Thank you Psycho and all the others who responded this post..
As I said, I knew I would get honest opinions on it, that's why I posted it.
HDTV.....sounds like the way to go...
Hell, I still don't have a cell phone...
So you know that saying.....

Teaching an old dog new tricks....:laugh2:

Mr. P
03-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Hey, Steph. I just ran across this while looking for something else an thought I'd past it on.

HDTV 101: What you need to know
http://www.komando.com/columns/index.aspx?id=2968

stephanie
03-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Hey, StephI just ran across this while looking for something else an thought I'd past it on.

[B]HDTV 101: What you need to know
[/Burl]http://www.komando.com/columns/index.aspx?id=2968[/url]

Thanks Mr.P..I've listened to Kim Komando before..I've also used some of her free downloads off her site...

Abbey Marie
04-03-2007, 05:19 PM
So Stephanie, what did you decide? I'm ready to come over and watch 24 with you!

stephanie
04-03-2007, 06:13 PM
So Stephanie, what did you decide? I'm ready to come over and watch 24 with you!

No decision yet..
Still watching my old 27"er..
Man, I want my 35"er back..:laugh2:

jackass
04-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Do you live near a Costco? 42" Vizio plasma for $999. Cant beat that.