PDA

View Full Version : From Beer To MP3s, Paterson Proposes 88 New Taxes

stephanie
12-16-2008, 05:32 PM
wow!

Reporting
Marcia Kramer ALBANY (CBS) ― You may want to think twice next year before downloading a song, going to the movies, or even kicking back with a beer. New Yorkers are about to pay more for just about everything under the sun with Gov. David Paterson's proposed $121 billion budget.

Paterson knew his bad news budget wouldn't please too many people. Why else would he begin his presentation with a reference to the Iraqi journalist who threw his shoes at President Bush?

"At the end of this budget presentation, if that's the most severe punishment I get, I'll sign up for it now," he said.

With proposals to raise $4 billion through a whopping 88 new taxes and fees, New Yorkers won't be able to afford to throw shoes at the governor because they probably won't be able to afford new ones. Clothing and shoe purchases under $110 will now be taxed, along with just about everything else you do.

Download a song or album on your i-Pod and you'll pay new sales taxes.

Also slated for new sales taxes are movies, sporting events, taxis, limousines, cable television, satellite radio, cigars, beer, wine, and luxury goods like cars, boats, jewelry and furs.

Sugared soft drinks will be taxed at the rate of 18 percent.

read it all here..
http://wcbstv.com/local/governor.paterson.taxes.2.888328.html

actsnoblemartin
12-16-2008, 09:04 PM
when will people understand, higher taxes = less incentive

less incentive to hire new employees, keep old employees, keep prices low

most business, the vast majority are small.

why cant we have a flat tax 10% and a sales tax 15% ?

2 fair taxes, and that's it.

Little-Acorn
12-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Hmmm, I've looked through the article carefully, that described the myriads of tax increases proposed by Gov. Paterson.

But nowhere can I find... what political party he is in.

Surely that's just an oversight. CBS would never leave out an important detail, after all the recent hooraw over which Presidential candidate would raise taxes more, which party was the habitual tax-raiser, and the repeated statements (even recently from Barack Obama himself) that raising taxes puts a drag on business, raises unemployment, decreases prosperity, etc. etc.

Would they?

5stringJeff
12-17-2008, 09:19 PM
In NY, online purchases are supposedly taxed. However, it's on the honor system: you aer supposed to keep tabs on everything you purchase online, and at the end of the year, when you file your income tax, you claim those purchases and pay the appropriate sales tax on it. Of course, almost no one admits to the State what they've bought online, either through ignorance of the law or the tedium of keeping such records.

I have a feeling a lot more stuff is going to be purchased online in NY.