PDA

View Full Version : Congress Gets $4,100 Pay Raise

red states rule
12-18-2008, 06:20 AM
Harry "the war is lost" Reid and San Fran Nan once again shows the level of their arrogance knows no bounds

Libs have screamed how the US economy is in a depression, how America is tunring into one big soup line, and yet they take another pay raise

Will any lib defend this - or will you blame Pres Bush for this?

Congress gets $4,100 pay raise

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congress members in 2008 will receive salaries of $169,300, a boost of $4,100 over the salary they have had since January 2006.
That 2.5% increase is mirrored by similar raises for associate justices of the Supreme Court, who will see their pay go from $203,000 to $208,100, and Chief Justice John Roberts, whose pay will rise to $217,400 from $212,100.

The salary figures were published in Tuesday's edition of the Federal Register.

Last year was the first since 1999, when the pay was $136,700, that members of Congress did not receive a cost-of-living allowance raise along with other federal employees. Democrats, newly elected to the majority, had vowed to block an increase in their paychecks until Congress raised the minimum wage.

With the minimum wage increase accomplished last year, House Democratic leaders joined with their Republican counterparts to oppose a procedural vote to bring the COLA issue to the floor, leaving the way clear for their automatic raise

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-01-09-Raise-me_N.htm

darin
12-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Good deal. I have a LOT less responsibility than a member of congress, yet I'll get close to $5k in raises this year. 2.5% they are getting is paltry.

red states rule
12-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Good deal. I have a LOT less responsibility than a member of congress, yet I'll get close to $5k in raises this year. 2.5% they are getting is paltry.

Dems tall auto execs how they ned to sacrifice. Dems tell taxpayers to fork over more of their money to help pay the bills.

Yet Dems do not think twice about taking more in pay and perks

darin
12-18-2008, 08:56 AM
There are more than Dems in congress. ;) DARIN doesn't think twice, either, each time HE gets a pay raise :)

red states rule
12-18-2008, 08:59 AM
There are more than Dems in congress. ;) DARIN doesn't think twice, either, each time HE gets a pay raise :)

You actually do something for the money Darin

How much of the raise do you see after taxes?

I would like to see members of Congress on commission. They get paid when they save taxpayer money, and actually accomplish something

darin
12-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Genearally, I don't pay many taxes. I get most returned at the end of the year.

red states rule
12-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Genearally, I don't pay many taxes. I get most returned at the end of the year.

Good for you Darin. You still pay other taxes, and I am sure the total is up there

12-18-2008, 01:24 PM
glad to know Congress has their priorities straight.

REDWHITEBLUE2
12-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Maybe all us tax payers should ask congress for a $4100 tax break

Yurt
12-20-2008, 12:11 AM
well, since the money comes from a US printer....

krisy
12-20-2008, 12:13 PM
I think the American people should get to vote on raises for Congress. I can't believe the arrogance of them taking a pay raise right now.....unstinkin believable. They are accomplishing nothing!!!

red states rule
12-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I think the American people should get to vote on raises for Congress. I can't believe the arrogance of them taking a pay raise right now.....unstinkin believable. They are accomplishing nothing!!!

The Reid and Pelosi Congress accomplished nothing for 2 years and was reelected - and gained seats

The voters helped grow their arrogance, and now they are getting what they deserve

AlbumAddict
12-21-2008, 01:09 AM

If this is a serious suggestion...you've got to be kidding! Even if they were all flippin' perfect the tax payers would never vote to give them raises. Americans (as a standard) are selfish and greedy.

Our local city councilmembers are part-time (but on the clock 24/7 for the people in the city who want to call and complain, etc.) and make a paltry $11,000 a year. The ballot two years ago (BEFORE the economic issues were hitting everyone) had a small raise for them (I think $2000) and it was voted down by a landside. Our city council does a pretty decent job too.

As for the rest...Darin makes the best point. Look at their raise in proportion to the income. You can't look at dollar amounts, you have to look at percentages to determine fairness. If you don't think your senators/reps/president/etc are doing a good job, then don't re-elect them. It's not complicated.

As for me, both my husband and I are getting 0% this year because of the economy. I work in education and he's in law enforcement. I'm happy for Darin and everyone else, but I have an issues with those two career fields being "frozen". Pretty important parts of society imo. Not only that, but our state is cutting spending to deal with our budget issues. What's one of the first cuts? Education. Schools received 2% less per student in October. We are receiving another 2% cut in February and they are saying next year it will be an additional 6-10% cut per student. Time to revisit priorities.

Hope that all made sense. It's one in the morning and I should be having visions of sugar plums dancing in my head, not ranting about how crappy the economy and cuts are!