PDA

View Full Version : New Dog

Gaffer
03-26-2007, 04:53 PM
We adopted a stray about six weeks ago. It had been running around the nieghborhood for over a week. I think someone just dumped her off and left her. Since it was so cold we brought her in. She's a lab and something else cause she's not as big as labs get but has all the features. The interesting thing is she doesn't bark at anything. If some one comes to the door she just sits there and looks. Never acts aggressive and is just as quiet and behaved as can be. I wonder if she was abused because she is very timid. I have never seen a dog that would not bark at all. we started calling her Chocolate, since she is a deep brown and she seemed to respond to that whenever we said it around her. And like the cat she only wants to eat people food.

She got hit by a car the other day. Pretty badly cut up in places but no bones appear to be broke. She seems to have healed up good over the past few days and is up and walking around, but she will not go outside now unless someone is with her.So now we have to get her to start going outside again and maybe the grandson's can teach her how to play.

Sitarro
03-26-2007, 05:43 PM
We adopted a stray about six weeks ago. It had been running around the nieghborhood for over a week. I think someone just dumped her off and left her. Since it was so cold we brought her in. She's a lab and something else cause she's not as big as labs get but has all the features. The interesting thing is she doesn't bark at anything. If some one comes to the door she just sits there and looks. Never acts aggressive and is just as quiet and behaved as can be. I wonder if she was abused because she is very timid. I have never seen a dog that would not bark at all. we started calling her Chocolate, since she is a deep brown and she seemed to respond to that whenever we said it around her. And like the cat she only wants to eat people food.

She got hit by a car the other day. Pretty badly cut up in places but no bones appear to be broke. She seems to have healed up good over the past few days and is up and walking around, but she will not go outside now unless someone is with her.So now we have to get her to start going outside again and maybe the grandson's can teach her how to play.

You know Gaf, with a name like that the Mayor of Nawlins will be after her to come to the Chocalate City and become their mascot.:laugh2:

Seriously, it's a nice thing you have done rescuing her, dogs know what you have done for them and once she gets comfortable she will be an extremely loyal companion.

Gaffer
03-26-2007, 07:12 PM
You know Gaf, with a name like that the Mayor of Nawlins will be after her to come to the Chocalate City and become their mascot.:laugh2:

Seriously, it's a nice thing you have done rescuing her, dogs know what you have done for them and once she gets comfortable she will be an extremely loyal companion.

Yeah she is already comfortable with all of us. But she's skitish about going outside. She has become part of the family but she'll never be a watch dog.

glockmail
03-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah she is already comfortable with all of us. But she's skitish about going outside. She has become part of the family but she'll never be a watch dog.

I've always heard that excess barking is a sign of maturity, so this dog's prolly pretty smart. Sis#2 had a big dog that rarely barked, but when he did, he meant it. NO ONE messed with its family. My guess is that's your type. Congrats.

Psychoblues
04-05-2007, 01:14 AM

Gaffer, I have a Japanese Chin, so I am told, that I rescued from a local animal shelter about 10 years ago. I thought she was a Pekingese but she has bowed front legs, weighs about 11.5 pounds and has other characteristics that more regularly describe her as being from the Chin line rather than the Pekingese. Whatever, they are at least cousins.

My little dog, like yours, almost never barks. She was certainly abused before I got her and it took months for her to learn that she could totally relax around my wife and me. She is not mean by any definition but she does not care for children. Her avoidance of children hurt my grandaughters feelings and I had to explain to the child that the dog was simply afraid of children because they move too fast and this dog is more of a old folks dog. Since then my grandaughter is very careful to move slowly, speak gently and react with reservation when she is around this dog. The dog tolerates her better than before but I see no eveidence that she cares anymore for her now than before.

These dogs, Chins, are absolutely house dogs. They are completely self house trained and are typically ONE PERSON dogs. Mine has become over the years a TWO Person dog as she now accepts and demands the attentions of my wife almost as much as she does for me. There is no way one of these dogs could survive more than a week or so without direct human intervention but they are as independent, stubborn and defensive as if they were 200 pound Alaskan wolves. LOL

I am very glad to hear about your rescue of "Chocolate" and I hope she heals well and you enjoy her companionship for years to come!!!!!!!!

Gaffer
04-05-2007, 01:36 AM
The day after I posted about Chocolate I was sitting at the computer and hear a commotion. I got up and went to check and my daughter was swinging a dust mop at something when I got to the doorway between the kitchen and the living room I found the neighbors husky fighting with Chocolate. The husky is about twice Chocolates size and was viciously attacking her. I grabbed the dust mop from my daughter and proceeded to beat the husky as hard as I could. It was a metal handle and I bent the shit out of it. The husky finally started moving outside. And Chocolate stayed right on him the whole time. They kept fighting on the porch and out into the grass before I was able to stop our dog. I have no idea what shape the husky was or is in. But I bet its sore. Chocolate had a lot of serious bites on her and was bleeding a lot. took a while to get the bleeding stopped. So we were back to nursing her all over again. Took about four days for her to finally get back to normal. Ibuprophen and peryoxhyde can do wonders even for a dog.

It seems the door was left ajar and the husky just waltz in and began eating Chocolates food. But when it picked up her chew bone the fight was on.

She's pretty well healed up now. But I'm keeping a ball bat handy in case that husky comes over here again.

Psychoblues
04-05-2007, 02:03 AM
One war story demands another, so let me tell you about my little Chin.

I do not have a fenced yard and I hate fences and will never have one. My young neighbor likes large vicious dogs. As long as they stay over there, that's his problem and not mine. I had taken my little dog outside for her daily constitutional business and my neighbors 100 plus pound Lab/Rottweiler mix came over and snapped at her. My neighbor and his uncle were also outside. Little Bit about took his nose off, and stood her ground. My neighbor, his uncle and I all stood there watching as the dogs sparred, growled and snapped at each other for a few minutes. It was incredible. My neighbor looked at his big dog and said "Now, what you got, Big Boy?" We were all laughing so hard as the big dog tucked his tail between his legs and went and sat down under his own porch.

I went and got a case of beer and we had a good time talkin' shit for a few hours.

Life is genuinely GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

The day after I posted about Chocolate I was sitting at the computer and hear a commotion. I got up and went to check and my daughter was swinging a dust mop at something when I got to the doorway between the kitchen and the living room I found the neighbors husky fighting with Chocolate. The husky is about twice Chocolates size and was viciously attacking her. I grabbed the dust mop from my daughter and proceeded to beat the husky as hard as I could. It was a metal handle and I bent the shit out of it. The husky finally started moving outside. And Chocolate stayed right on him the whole time. They kept fighting on the porch and out into the grass before I was able to stop our dog. I have no idea what shape the husky was or is in. But I bet its sore. Chocolate had a lot of serious bites on her and was bleeding a lot. took a while to get the bleeding stopped. So we were back to nursing her all over again. Took about four days for her to finally get back to normal. Ibuprophen and peryoxhyde can do wonders even for a dog.

It seems the door was left ajar and the husky just waltz in and began eating Chocolates food. But when it picked up her chew bone the fight was on.

She's pretty well healed up now. But I'm keeping a ball bat handy in case that husky comes over here again.

krisy
04-05-2007, 12:05 PM
One war story demands another, so let me tell you about my little Chin.

I do not have a fenced yard and I hate fences and will never have one. My young neighbor likes large vicious dogs. As long as they stay over there, that's his problem and not mine. I had taken my little dog outside for her daily constitutional business and my neighbors 100 plus pound Lab/Rottweiler mix came over and snapped at her. My neighbor and his uncle were also outside. Little Bit about took his nose off, and stood her ground. My neighbor, his uncle and I all stood there watching as the dogs sparred, growled and snapped at each other for a few minutes. It was incredible. My neighbor looked at his big dog and said "Now, what you got, Big Boy?" We were all laughing so hard as the big dog tucked his tail between his legs and went and sat down under his own porch.

I went and got a case of beer and we had a good time talkin' shit for a few hours.

Life is genuinely GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

Psycho,I have 7 Rotts living next door!!! There is a privacy fence between us,thankfully. I have a Golden/German Shepard mix and an Australian Shepard/Lab mix. The AUstralian is very dog friendly and loves other dogs. He almost seems puzzled when he walks by the fence and the Rotties growl and bark at him-lol. He would love to be friends. Our German SHepard/Golden Ret mix on the other hand acts like a Golden Retriever with people and a German Shepard with some other dogs. He is very particular as to which dogs he likes and which he doesn't. There have been many a fight thru that privacy fence with him and the Rotties.

Gaffer-Kam told me about the dog fight. If I were you guys,I would have marched my ass over to that neighbor and informed them I were taking the dog to the vet and that they were paying the bill. If not,the SPCAor police would have been happy to give them a ticket for failure to confine their dog. They will do it . One of the Rotts next door got out one night and a neighbor called the police. A $100 ticket followed.

I'm glad she's doing better....but watch giving her Ibuprofen. I have heard it can be harnful to dogs. Our vet had us give Dodger aspirin after he was neutered because he was having trouble.

grunt
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Ibuprophen can really screw up a dogs stomach. If given in low doses and infrequently, it should be alright. Be careful with the peroxide too...if the cuts are too deep it can be harmful....

Gaffer
04-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Ibuprophen can really screw up a dogs stomach. If given in low doses and infrequently, it should be alright. Be careful with the peroxide too...if the cuts are too deep it can be harmful....

We only gave her two pills about 8 hours apart. to help with the pain. The peroxyhide was because the wounds were getting infected. They started healing the next day.

We did talk to the landlord about those dogs and since then I haven't seen them outside of their kennel. The neighbors weren't even home that day. They just let the dogs out to roam while they were gone.

Anymore problems and we will get the authorities involved.

Abbey Marie
04-05-2007, 02:02 PM
We only gave her two pills about 8 hours apart. to help with the pain. The peroxyhide was because the wounds were getting infected. They started healing the next day.

Poor baby! I hope she feels better very soon, G.

Gaffer
04-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Poor baby! I hope she feels better very soon, G.

She's doing a lot better now, she's up and about now. She's still wary of going outside but as long as someone is with her she will do that. She has never been playful. But she loves to be petted. I think she was abused to a point that she won't play. She doesn't even chew on things. The only thing she ever chewed was her rawhide bone which she really loves.

Abbey Marie
04-05-2007, 02:51 PM
She's doing a lot better now, she's up and about now. She's still wary of going outside but as long as someone is with her she will do that. She has never been playful. But she loves to be petted. I think she was abused to a point that she won't play. She doesn't even chew on things. The only thing she ever chewed was her rawhide bone which she really loves.

God bless you for giving her a second chance at life.