PDA

View Full Version : The Conscience Of A Liberal

Psychoblues
12-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Excellent book by Paul Krugman. Although I disagree with him on a number of issues I find this piece refreshing and intellectually honest which is rare in political bookwriting these days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written by Dan Schneider
Published September 04, 2008

In reading Paul Krugman’s 2007 book, The Conscience Of A Liberal, I wanted to be able to speak of his writing style, as much as of his opinions, politically and economically. This is because I simply get tired of books being criticized simply for their arguments and not how they are presented. In the last year or so, as example, I got two books that exemplified this approach.

The first was psychologist Steven Pinker’s The Stuff Of Thought. It’s a book suffused in science, but as I detailed in this review, it also showed off Pinker’s chops as a great prose stylist, regardless of what one thought of his theories. On the other hand, I also reviewed Michael Shermer’s The Mind Of The Market, a well written book (although Shermer is not the wordsmith Pinker is) but one’s whose Libertarian beliefs so clouded his judgment as to make the book almost laughable in its assertions.

As a side note, as fair as I was in detailing Shermer’s book’s writing strengths, my systematic debunking of his poorly thought out ideas caused Shermer to huffily renege on an agreement he had to be interviewed by me. Such are the woes of dealing with books that are written by non-experts, well outside their fields of expertise (Shermer is a debunker of things supernatural by trade, not an economist), and do not feature creative writings, but contest a battle of wills and ideas to maintain their bona fides as ‘good books.’

And, on a related minor note to the writing style in The Conscience Of A Liberal, while there is not much to discuss stylistically about the writing, there was some very poor editing. As example, there are some poorly punctuated sentences in the book, where clauses are not delineated by commas nor semi-colons to set off appositives, introductory elements, or even simple clarification. I lost count after a few dozen examples of this. However, the blame lies not with Krugman, but his editor. While this is not something unusual to today’s book publishing industry, it does highlight the serious decline in simply quality standards over the last few decades.

The Conscience Of A Liberal falls somewhere between Shermer’s and Pinker’s books. On the one hand, Krugman’s straightforward, non-flowery prose shows he’s no match for Pinker as a pure writer. That stated, he’s about on par with Shermer’s prose. On the field of ideas, Krugman does not display the brilliance of a Pinker- mainly because his book is soberingly middle of the road in its tack (yes, he’s a liberal, but William Jennings Bryan he’s not), but he’s light years ahead of Shermer as an economist and social critic............................................ ..

More: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/09/04/162841.php

Spend a buck or two and give it an honest read. It's worth expanding your mind for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody into white wine and cheese?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

PostmodernProphet
12-19-2008, 05:09 AM
is this one of those mystery books.....like the search for the ark or trying to find Big Foot.....or one of those other mythological creatures.....

Psychoblues
12-19-2008, 05:14 AM
Nothing mysterical about it, pmp.

is this one of those mystery books.....like the search for the ark or trying to find Big Foot.....or one of those other mythological creatures.....

Have you read it? I doubt it. No mystery about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you need a bit more cheese to go with your whine?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

PostmodernProphet
12-19-2008, 05:29 AM
the Search for a Liberal's Conscience by Ivy Ngo Klugh....

Psychoblues
12-19-2008, 05:34 AM
Google isn't doing well for " Ngo Klugh", pmp.

the Search for a Liberal's Conscience by Ivy Ngo Klugh....

Do you have anything else?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

Need a refreshment on that whine?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!??!

Psychoblues

PostmodernProphet
12-19-2008, 05:38 AM
Google doesn't even know....

Psychoblues
12-19-2008, 05:44 AM
Google, pmp, is a search engine that can't find anything about your idiotic reference.

Google doesn't even know....

I'll check again later.

Lemme refill that mason jar for ya. Good muscadine whine is hard to come by these days!!!!!!!!!!! It helps with your cheese, don't it?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

PostmodernProphet
12-19-2008, 11:30 AM
perhaps you should run it through the phonetic irony filter first.....

Psychoblues
12-21-2008, 02:15 AM
Why bother with that, pimp?

Psychoblues

PostmodernProphet
12-21-2008, 06:51 AM
because it might raise you to a D+ in intelligence.....

Psychoblues
12-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Me, chasing after your ignorance?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Keep your day gig, cowgirl!!!!!!!!!!! Comedy doesn't appear to be your thing!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

PostmodernProphet
12-23-2008, 07:01 AM
perhaps in your case there IS something worse than fail......

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Perhaps in your case there is something beyond stupidity!!!!!!!!!!!

perhaps in your case there IS something worse than fail......

But, I didn't say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

emmett
12-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Conscience of a Liberal........ bzzzzt.. sx bzzt....... bxxxzzzzt gixxzzzzt........ unable to compute! unable to compute! unable to compute! unable to compute! bzzzzxt.........................................bz zzzzzzzzt...... bzzzzt

actsnoblemartin
12-24-2008, 09:28 PM

booo

:poke:

psycho may be a lot of things, but stupid is not one of them :salute:

actsnoblemartin
12-24-2008, 09:31 PM
the problem i find with modern day liberalism, (and im open to critiques on modern day conservatism) is the incessent need for the government i.e. the great mom and dad to do all our thinking and living for us.

I'm not opposed to helping those who need it, but ive seen first hand how the government keeps the poor poor.

Psychoblues
12-28-2008, 04:59 AM
The conservative myth of which you speak, marteen, is simply repetition. Could you be more specific?

Psychoblues