PDA

View Full Version : 8 hp, 30" Murray Rider

Psychoblues
12-21-2008, 03:54 AM
It cranks and runs but it won't run very long. I need this mower or one like it and they just don't sell them anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!! WalMart put Murray out of business forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

PostmodernProphet
12-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Craig's list.....

Mr. P
12-21-2008, 09:43 AM
What make engine?

Nukeman
12-21-2008, 06:05 PM
It cranks and runs but it won't run very long. I need this mower or one like it and they just don't sell them anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!! WalMart put Murray out of business forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

Psychoblues
If it is at least starting after sitting for a while I would first clean/replace the fuel line and a new filter. I would also check to be sure the tank isn't dirty. I would also change the plug. If you have already done all of that than you can always buy a new engine off of ebay pretty cheap.... Just a suggestion.

Psychoblues
12-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Briggs and Stratton

What make engine?

I am suspecting loose valve seat/s as I have had that problem with another mower almost exactly like this one only years older and years ago. To be honest, however, this one really is totally worn out and should have been salvaged years ago on it's own demerits but it does cut very well and when it's running is perfect for my property. I would gladly purchase a new one if I could find one at a decent price.

Sears sells a 13.5 HP (Tecumseh)30" one made by MTD. It doesn't hold a candle to the quality or handling of this old Murray and it is about $700 high on the price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The old Murray mowers sold for $499 to $799 and the Sears rig is $1500. Considering that other mowers with much more horsepower, much wider cuts, many more amenities and stronger reputations start at about $899 I think the Sears MTD rig is just out of it's league and price range. I am considering a Snapper but again, they are really proud of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for asking bout it!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
12-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks for your advise, nm. I gave Mr. P most of the answer that I had intended for you. See Above!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is at least starting after sitting for a while I would first clean/replace the fuel line and a new filter. I would also check to be sure the tank isn't dirty. I would also change the plug. If you have already done all of that than you can always buy a new engine off of ebay pretty cheap.... Just a suggestion.

I've done all of which you suggest. It may be a float problem or even a broken coil/wire that only shows up when hot. Living where I live now it's tough to get someone that knows what they're doing to spend enough time with it to actually fix it but it does sound to me like it is starving for fuel when it dies on me. Right now I won't be needing it for anything other than leaf chopping and spreading but come middle to late March I will need it in the worst way!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wish I could find a new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Mr. P
12-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Briggs and Stratton

I am suspecting loose valve seat/s as I have had that problem with another mower almost exactly like this one only years older and years ago. To be honest, however, this one really is totally worn out and should have been salvaged years ago on it's own demerits but it does cut very well and when it's running is perfect for my property. I would gladly purchase a new one if I could find one at a decent price.

Sears sells a 13.5 HP (Tecumseh)30" one made by MTD. It doesn't hold a candle to the quality or handling of this old Murray and it is about $700 high on the price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The old Murray mowers sold for $499 to $799 and the Sears rig is $1500. Considering that other mowers with much more horsepower, much wider cuts, many more amenities and stronger reputations start at about $899 I think the Sears MTD rig is just out of it's league and price range. I am considering a Snapper but again, they are really proud of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for asking bout it!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Is it a Tecumseh?

Oppss never mind..I see it's Briggs

Mr. P
12-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Hey...I'm gonna guess this is a carb. problem..maybe not but..if ya wanna give it a try these folks seem to have parts for most engines.

http://www.psep.biz//store/briggs_and_stratton_parts.htm

Psychoblues
12-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the link, P!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey...I'm gonna guess this is a carb. problem..maybe not but..if ya wanna give it a try these folks seem to have parts for most engines.

http://www.psep.biz//store/briggs_and_stratton_parts.htm

Can I buy you a refreshment?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!

Psychoblues

Nukeman
12-23-2008, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't buy a MTD mower if your life depeded on it!! they really make junk. the last two mower I bough a Husgavarna 6.5hp push and a 15hp Gravely zero turn 40in deck. I tell you the gravely works great and the price although a little high was well worth it. Ive had it 3 years with NO problems at all.

http://www.revcut.com/images/gravely/gravely260z2.PNG

great mower!!!:coffee:

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 09:21 AM
MTD never could compete with Murray pre WalMart,,,,,,,,,now.

I wouldn't buy a MTD mower if your life depeded on it!! they really make junk. the last two mower I bough a Husgavarna 6.5hp push and a 15hp Gravely zero turn 40in deck. I tell you the gravely works great and the price although a little high was well worth it. Ive had it 3 years with NO problems at all.

http://www.revcut.com/images/gravely/gravely260z2.PNG

great mower!!!:coffee:

WalMart bankrupted Murray and now they have a hard time even getting a rider mower to sell. Even though MTD is now heavily committed to WalMart they have placed themselves in a retail position to never be overtaken by them. If you might remember, Snapper had a short relationship with WalMart. Better business sense prevailed in that case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you ever wonder why WalMart doesn't sell washing machines, clothes dryers, refrigerators, etc.?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!? What about cars and trucks!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!? The WalMart syndrome doesn't apply in some industries. Ever thought about that!???!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

namvet
12-31-2008, 10:47 AM
well better late than never. I found a forum for Murray riders

http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/44087.html

Psychoblues
01-01-2009, 03:39 AM
I appreciate all I can get on this subject, nv.

well better late than never. I found a forum for Murray riders

http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/44087.html

Right now everything is pretty good but come March I am going to need in the worst way a machine that meets something similar to my old Murray and to say in old industrial lingo, the machine is used up.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Sitarro
01-01-2009, 05:03 AM
try these.........

Psychoblues
01-01-2009, 05:08 AM
Hell fire, zero!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't heard from you in weeks or maybe it was just days or hours, I dunno?!?!?!???!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!

try these.........

Wuzzup??!?!??!?!!?!?!??! You do know I just love the goats, don't you?!?!?!?!?! Especially bar-b-cued!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

namvet
01-01-2009, 08:59 AM
or sod worms. no more mowing !!!!! my next door neighbor had em this summer. they ate 1/2 his lawn and started in on mine.

Psychoblues
01-01-2009, 09:06 AM
I would never intentionally do something that might harm my neigbors lawns, nv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or sod worms. no more mowing !!!!! my next door neighbor had em this summer. they ate 1/2 his lawn and started in on mine.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could I offer you a refreshment??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

namvet
01-01-2009, 09:23 AM
not his fault. it was his first home. more damage to his than mine. he thought the lawn was going to sleep until I showed him the worms. :laugh2: I gave him the rest of the Dylox I had. I treat for worms every summer. but it took him and his wife days/weeks to repair and replant. live and learn

Psychoblues
01-01-2009, 09:27 AM
I guess I've done similar things, nv. I don't think I have any enemies over any of it though!!!!!!!!!!!!

not his fault. it was his first home. more damage to his than mine. he thought the lawn was going to sleep until I showed him the worms. :laugh2: I gave him the rest of the Dylox I had. I treat for worms every summer. but it took him and his wife days/weeks to repair and replant. live and learn

Damn, I'd love to find a new Murray 30" rider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

namvet
01-01-2009, 11:03 AM
I guess I've done similar things, nv. I don't think I have any enemies over any of it though!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, I'd love to find a new Murray 30" rider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

the still have a site http://murray.com/

Contact Murray, 219 Franklin Rd., Brentwood, TN 37027; 800-646-8442. I just called. the line is open...................

Psychoblues
01-05-2009, 05:17 AM
I called them, nv.

the still have a site http://murray.com/

Contact Murray, 219 Franklin Rd., Brentwood, TN 37027; 800-646-8442. I just called. the line is open...................

They don't have any promising information that I can share with you as they didn't have any promising information to share with me. Pitiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

namvet
01-05-2009, 08:55 AM
I called them, nv.

They don't have any promising information that I can share with you as they didn't have any promising information to share with me. Pitiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

they still carry parts. fix er up..................

trobinett
01-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Sounds more like a coil having a "heat sink" problem.

Disconnect the kill wire, and run engine, if the unit doesn't die, its a safety switch issue, if it does, its a coil.

Generally speaking, if the unit starts, and runs good, and then dies after running for 10 minutes, its NOT a fuel system issue, its a ignition issue.

Let me know what you find out.

By the way, Briggs has acquired Murray, also snapper, and simplicity. Their under the Briggs Power Products bander. I believe they are making the rear engine rider again.

Psychoblues
01-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks, trobby!!!!!!!!!!!! Between my uncle and me we've tried about everything!!!!!!!!!!!!! The mower is really, really old and has exceeded it's projected life span by decades and hundreds of acres of mowing!!!!!!!! I'm pretty good with a wrench and screwdriver and everything I don't know I have plenty of neighbors, kinfolk and nosy passersby that will put me up to snuff on about any subject!!!!!!!!!!

I had this same problem with another Murray rear engine mower back in the 70's and we finally determined it to be loose valve seats. We placed the seats back in place and center punch peened them to stay there and the mower ran well for another couple of months. It, like this one, was well beyond it's useful and dependable life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Murray company according to the regional distributor is in bankruptcy and production has been ceased for some time now and will remain so for the the foreseeable future. I was incorrect earlier in this thread about the 13.5 hp 30" rider from Sears being made by MTD. That mower was certainly made by Murray and Sears is selling them out with no plans to ever stock it or replace it again.

Sounds more like a coil having a "heat sink" problem.

Disconnect the kill wire, and run engine, if the unit doesn't die, its a safety switch issue, if it does, its a coil.

Generally speaking, if the unit starts, and runs good, and then dies after running for 10 minutes, its NOT a fuel system issue, its a ignition issue.

Let me know what you find out.

By the way, Briggs has acquired Murray, also snapper, and simplicity. Their under the Briggs Power Products bander. I believe they are making the rear engine rider again.

Of course you know that Simplicity acquired Snapper several years ago. They make an outstanding, regardless what Consumer Reports says about them, machine and if their machine was even close to reasonable in price I would be more than glad to give them some business. I find it greatly encouraging that you remark that Briggs has now acquired them as well as Murray!!!!!!!!!!! If Briggs will refrain from displacing their manufacturing to China or Bumfuck, Ethiopia or someplace similarly disappointing I feel they will make a sound resurgence in American interest in the quality and purchasing of their products.

Thanks again, trobby and keep that Hawg rooting and rutting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I get you a beer?!??!???!!?!?!??!

Psychoblues
04-24-2009, 02:31 AM
Sears has that mower again this year. It's a bit different!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to do some research!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone up for some jellyjamm?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!