PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Rips Movie "It's A Wonderful Life"

red states rule
12-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Leave it to liberals to try and suck the joy out the Christmas holiday

Wonderful? Sorry, George, It’s a Pitiful, Dreadful Life

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/12/19/arts/19wonderful.xlarge1x.jpg

MR. ELLMAN didn’t tell us why he wanted us to stay after school that December afternoon in 1981. When we got to the classroom — cinderblock walls, like all the others, with a dreary view of the parking lot — we smelled popcorn.

He had set up a 16-millimeter projector and a movie screen, and rearranged the chairs. Book bags, jackets and overcoats were tossed on seat backs, teenagers sat, suspicious, slumping, and Mr. Ellman started the projector whirring. “It’s a Wonderful Life” filled the screen.

I was not a mushy kid. My ears were fed a steady stream of the Clash and the Jam, and I was doing my best to conjure a dyed-haired, wry, angry-young-man teenage persona. But I was enthralled that afternoon in Brooklyn. In the years that followed, my affection for “It’s a Wonderful Life” has never waned, despite the film’s overexposure and sugar-sweet marketing, and the rolling eyes of friends and family.

Lots of people love this movie of course. But I’m convinced it’s for the wrong reasons. Because to me “It’s a Wonderful Life” is anything but a cheery holiday tale. Sitting in that dark public high school classroom, I shuddered as the projector whirred and George Bailey’s life unspooled.

Was this what adulthood promised?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/19/movies/19wond.html?_r=1&sq=&st=nyt&%2334;=&scp=1&%2334;Wendell%20Jamieson=&pagewanted=all

stephanie
12-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Liberals are never happy..

Even now with their Messiah ready to take full control of their lives(which is want they've been wanting), they still find everything unbearable..

and of course, they can't stand for anyone else to be happy, so they have to work at bringing them down also..

just look at our President and VP Joey...they are the most bummer, downer people there is...NOTHING is good with us or our Country as far as they can see..so they "GOTS SOME WORK TO DO" and only they can do it, to bring us back up.........can I get an AMEN...:coffee:

red states rule
12-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Liberals are never happy..

Even now with their Messiah ready to take full control of their lives(which is want they've been wanting), they still find everything unbearable..

and of course, they can't stand for anyone else to be happy, so they have to work at bringing them down also..

just look at our President and VP Joey...they are the most bummer, downer people there is...NOTHING is good with us or our Country as far as they can see..so they "GOTS SOME WORK TO DO" and only they can do it, to bring us back up.........can I get an AMEN...:coffee:

With the election results, I thought the libs would be very happy and actually let the rest of us enjoy the Christmas season

Oh well, like you said Steph, libs are never happy. Everything is a crisis. Every conservative is out to silence them. Every social program needs mroe funding. Every tax need to be increased

12-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Hmm... doesnt anyone ever consider that when they are rooting for the bad guy, something might be wrong?

Abbey Marie
12-21-2008, 07:02 PM
This paragraph sums up the way many libs tend to look at life. They seem to love and relate to anyone who succumbs to their base instincts and sin. Simultaneously, they riducule those who lead decent lives. After all, that's sooo boring.

Now as for that famous alternate-reality sequence: This is supposedly what the town would turn out to be if not for George. I interpret it instead as showing the true characters of these individuals, their venal internal selves stripped bare. The flirty Violet (played by a supersexy Gloria Grahame, who would soon become a timeless film noir femme fatale) is a dime dancer and maybe a prostitute; Ernie the cabbie’s blank face speaks true misery as George enters his taxi; Bert the cop is a trigger-happy madman, violating every rule in the patrol guide when he opens fire on the fleeing, yet unarmed, George, forcing revelers to cower on the pavement.

I consider myself lucky to not know the author if this article.

red states rule
12-21-2008, 07:09 PM
This paragraph sums up the way many libs tend to look at life. They seem to love and relate to anyone who succumbs to their base instincts and sin. Simultaneously, they riducule those who leave decent lives. After all, that's sooo boring.

I consider myself lucky to not know the author if this article.

Yes you are lucky.

However the writers family and friends are not. Or they share the same views and spread the misery around like a virus