PDA

View Full Version : Like a Soldier Gettin' Over The War

Psychoblues
03-26-2007, 10:25 PM
I was just surfing the net and my wife was surfing the tube. She ran across a channel playing the Johnny Cash jamm "Like a Soldier Gettin' Over The War". It stopped me dead in my tracks. I don't remember ever hearing that jamm before but no one can do a jamm like that as Johnny Cash does.

First off, I don't think any soldier ever gets over the War. Some handle the experience differently than many others but not one ever "gets over it". I know that I don't suffer PTSD or anything like that but there is not an hour of any of my waking time that I don't reflect on something about the Wars in which I have been involved. Other than a few drunken nights and bar room fights I never dwell on any of it but it's always there ready to jump up kick me in the ass. From every veteran I know we all do that.

Anyway, I didn't mean to be such a drag, I just wanted to talk about it a little. That's why I came to the Lounge for this one.

Set 'em up, bartender and put 'em all on my account!!!! What's your poison, cowboys and girls?!?!?!?!?

jackass
03-27-2007, 11:21 AM
If I had been in any...I would certainly talk to you about them.

Psychoblues
03-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks, ja, seriously, I appreciate you. But, you don't have to be a vet to talk to a vet or about veterans issues. On the other hand, if you are not a vet or know much about veterans issues you would be well advised to do a lot of listening, asking questions and observing before you go jumping off the handle and taking things out of context. A lot of that shit goes on here as I believe you have already discovered.

If I had been in any...I would certainly talk to you about them.

Into every life some trauma will creep. Sometimes it's our own failures to make good decisions and sometimes it's the failures of others to respect reasonable expectations of forethought, honesty and the general well intentioned inclinations of mankind, particularly Americans, to do the correct things.

One more time!!!! Set 'em up, bartender!!!!!!

jackass
03-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks, ja, seriously, I appreciate you. But, you don't have to be a vet to talk to a vet or about veterans issues.
True! If there is something you want to talk about...feel free. Most people say I am a very good listener.

On the other hand, if you are not a vet or know much about veterans issues you would be well advised to do a lot of listening, asking questions and observing

Actually my dad was in Vietnam. Everyone says he came back very different. We were never really allowed to ask him about it. It was one of those unwritten rules unfortunately. I always wanted to talk to him about it. Maybe it would have given me the insight to understand him a little more.

before you go jumping off the handle and taking things out of context. A lot of that shit goes on here as I believe you have already discovered.
Actually..this is why I dont go up to the upper half of the board too much. I really am not that informed in all of it.

Psychoblues
03-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks, ja. Actually I had been reading an article or a book review written by a Vietnamese girl/lady that experienced the Viet Nam War and she talked about it more from a Vietnamese perspective. So, I was already in a strange mood when that Jonny Cash jamm came on. I posted somewhere else here about that article/book review. I'll try to find it and get back with you

True! If there is something you want to talk about...feel free. Most people say I am a very good listener.

Actually my dad was in Vietnam. Everyone says he came back very different. We were never really allowed to ask him about it. It was one of those unwritten rules unfortunately. I always wanted to talk to him about it. Maybe it would have given me the insight to understand him a little more.

Actually..this is why I dont go up to the upper half of the board too much. I really am not that informed in all of it.

Thanks a lot, ja, and I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to talk to your Dad about his experiences. I am certain that he could have given you a rich perspective on the meanings and consequenses of WAR.

On edit, here is the thread that had me thinking about it all again. Please feel free to go and read it, follow the link, comment or just contemplate. It's worth it, at least to me that I know you are interested.

More: http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=2040

jackass
03-27-2007, 04:52 PM
While the subject is here. Does anyone know if there is a way to find out what my dad did? Where he was dispatched, any battles he may have been in, how long and where he was in?
Thanks

Gaffer
03-27-2007, 05:54 PM
While the subject is here. Does anyone know if there is a way to find out what my dad did? Where he was dispatched, any battles he may have been in, how long and where he was in?
Thanks

First question, do you know what unit he was in? What time frame was he there? There are a lot of individual unit websites that give a lot of info. I could better direct you if you happen to know that info.

Here's a site that contains all the operations that took place in Vietnam.

http://www.3rdmarines.net/Vietnam_Operations_by_Name.htm

jackass
03-27-2007, 06:56 PM
First question, do you know what unit he was in? What time frame was he there? There are a lot of individual unit websites that give a lot of info. I could better direct you if you happen to know that info.

Here's a site that contains all the operations that took place in Vietnam.

http://www.3rdmarines.net/Vietnam_Operations_by_Name.htm

Its sad to say..I know NOTHING about his time there. Maybe I can ask my grandmother. She may know something.

Psychoblues
03-27-2007, 08:57 PM
As gaffer said earlier, there are a number of web sites that can give you enormous amounts of information. Key question of course is What branch of service? Revealing too much information on this particular type of site or in these threads is not adviseable, ja.

Its sad to say..I know NOTHING about his time there. Maybe I can ask my grandmother. She may know something.

Do some surfing and see what you can come up with.

Gaffer
03-27-2007, 09:09 PM

I don't need any personal info. Just what branch he was in, what year/years and if you can get what unit he was in that would help. I can then try to steer you to a site that you can search using the personal info. even if you can only get the division he was in we can narrow it down from there.

Psychoblues
03-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Gaffer, as I believe you are aware, I have done considerable work with veterans and much of it has been to do with their families. I have ran across this exact circumstance many times and I do need at least a name and if at all possible an approximate birthdate. I would furnish neither of these pieces of information on this site.

I don't need any personal info. Just what branch he was in, what year/years and if you can get what unit he was in that would help. I can then try to steer you to a site that you can search using the personal info. even if you can only get the division he was in we can narrow it down from there.

It has been my experience that many times I could find with only those two pieces of information all I needed to continue my research. Other times the search required only a little more and other times it required a lot more. Try looking for NCO or Airman Bob Smith, born on or about 26 April, 1950, USAIRForce, about 1969-1973. It ain't gonna be an easy one. See what I mean? First and foremost you have to have a name.

Gaffer
03-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Gaffer, as I believe you are aware, I have done considerable work with veterans and much of it has been to do with their families. I have ran across this exact circumstance many times and I do need at least a name and if at all possible an approximate birthdate. I would furnish neither of these pieces of information on this site.

It has been my experience that many times I could find with only those two pieces of information all I needed to continue my research. Other times the search required only a little more and other times it required a lot more. Try looking for NCO or Airman Bob Smith, born on or about 26 April, 1950, USAIRForce, about 1969-1973. It ain't gonna be an easy one. See what I mean? First and foremost you have to have a name.

I don't need a name to give him a starting point to search from. He has the personal information and he can look it all up if he has a site to go too. I don't want anyones personal info. If his father was in the 1st Infantry he can go to a 1st Infantry site and look for info for himself. Almost every unit that was there has some sort of vets site available now where you can search for info and even contact other vets. Its posible he could even locate someone that knew his father.

By the way JA if you could get your hands on his DD-214 that will tell you a whole lot about him and give you a search point as well.

Psychoblues
03-27-2007, 11:03 PM
Excellent advise, gaffer. The DD214 may very well be registered in the county clerks office of his home of record at the time of his discharge. I know for sure that all 3 of mine are. I was advised by the VA upon my first discharge in 1972 to register the DD214 and I thought that to be important advise. I think most do.

I don't need a name to give him a starting point to search from. He has the personal information and he can look it all up if he has a site to go too. I don't want anyones personal info. If his father was in the 1st Infantry he can go to a 1st Infantry site and look for info for himself. Almost every unit that was there has some sort of vets site available now where you can search for info and even contact other vets. Its posible he could even locate someone that knew his father.

By the way JA if you could get your hands on his DD-214 that will tell you a whole lot about him and give you a search point as well.

Gaffer, I know you like to repeat a lot of shit that you've heard about me or maybe you actually believe what you say. But, we can work together on issues where we find agreement, don't you think?

Gaffer
03-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Excellent advise, gaffer. The DD214 may very well be registered in the county clerks office of his home of record at the time of his discharge. I know for sure that all 3 of mine are. I was advised by the VA upon my first discharge in 1972 to register the DD214 and I thought that to be important advise. I think most do.

Gaffer, I know you like to repeat a lot of shit that you've heard about me or maybe you actually believe what you say. But, we can work together on issues where we find agreement, don't you think?

As you notice I have said nothing to you deragatory in this thread. We are on the same page here.

Abbey Marie
03-27-2007, 11:14 PM
As you notice I have said nothing to you deragatory in this thread. We are on the same page here.

Band of Brothers- sweet!

Psychoblues
03-28-2007, 12:49 AM
"Like a Soldier Gettin' Over The War"

Ain't happenin', cowgirl.

Gaffer
03-28-2007, 01:44 AM
"Like a Soldier Gettin' Over The War"

Ain't happenin', cowgirl.

Back to your old self i see.

Psychoblues
03-28-2007, 03:13 AM
I pride myself in not being the sanctimonious prick that you claim to be.

Back to your old self i see.

In short, from an old western TV show. You have discussions? I will discuss.

Gaffer
03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
I pride myself in not being the sanctimonious prick that you claim to be.

In short, from an old western TV show. You have discussions? I will discuss.

So I see, you take pride in being a sucker punch kinda guy.

jackass
03-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the advice...both of you. I talked to my sister, she actually has his discharge papers in Pa. (We are living in SC now). Hopefully we can get up there so I have a starting place at least. Thanks again!

Gaffer
03-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the advice...both of you. I talked to my sister, she actually has his discharge papers in Pa. (We are living in SC now). Hopefully we can get up there so I have a starting place at least. Thanks again!

Your very welcome. Hope it will help steer you in the right directions. Good Luck.

Psychoblues
03-30-2007, 05:11 AM
If you hit a dead end let me know, ja. I still have a few connections in DoD and I might be able to help you.

The DD214 is vital but not end all. Glad to see you have found something!!!!!!!

Psychoblues
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Don't let Hollywood distort your impressions of realities such as "Band Of Brothers", Abbey.

Band of Brothers- sweet!

In the theatres of operations of WAR we certainly are Brothers and now Sisters. Outside that theatre we all reserve the rights to kick the shit out of each other as deemed appropriate at the time. Gaffer is not and probably never will be a true friend of mine and I am happy with that conclusion. I tried, he/she failed. Fuck it!!!!!!!

krisy
04-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Don't let Hollywood distort your impressions of realities such as "Band Of Brothers", Abbey.

In the theatres of operations of WAR we certainly are Brothers and now Sisters. Outside that theatre we all reserve the rights to kick the shit out of each other as deemed appropriate at the time. Gaffer is not and probably never will be a true friend of mine and I am happy with that conclusion. I tried, he/she failed. Fuck it!!!!!!!

Come on psych. Gaffer is my father in law,and a very good guy,as I'm sure you are. Sure you disagree politically,but you have too much in common to not get along!!!

"Can't we all just get along?" :laugh2:

:salute: both of you for your service

Psychoblues
04-13-2007, 02:51 AM
krisy, I do not dislike gaffer but I do have a bone to pick with him. Out of nowhere I start getting neg reps, unintelligible remarks to some of my posts and downright insults from one that chooses to call himself "gaffer". I took it for a while but as I saw it was becoming a habit I shot back. I have never went after gaffer as he has done to me but I don't intend to take anymore of his shit without at least a response, humorous or otherwise.

Come on psych. Gaffer is my father in law,and a very good guy,as I'm sure you are. Sure you disagree politically,but you have too much in common to not get along!!!

"Can't we all just get along?" :laugh2:

:salute: both of you for your service

Thanks for the :salute: ,krisy, but I am no officer and I only expect what my government has promised to it's veterans and to it's citizens.

If gaffer wants to communicate with me, my mailbox is open or he can post it and I will reply as I see it.

Thanks for your concern, krisy. You are a tried and true Trooper in my book!!!!