PDA

View Full Version : Time: Obama Is An Anti-Gay Rights Bigot

red states rule
12-21-2008, 08:48 PM
The liberal media is really pissed Rick Warren will give the benediction at the messiah's coronation

The Problem for Gays with Rick Warren — and Obama
By John Cloud Thursday, Dec. 18, 2008

About three years ago, a reporter at Fortune asked Rick Warren, the successful pastor whom the President-elect has asked to pray at his Inauguration, about homosexuality. "I'm no homophobic guy," Warren said. His proof? He has dined with gays; he has a church "full of people who are caring for gays who are dying of AIDS"; he believes that "in the hierarchy of evil ... homosexuality is not the worst sin." So gays get to eat — sometimes even with Rick Warren! Then they get to die of AIDS — possibly under the care of Rick Warren's congregants. And when they go to hell, they won't be quite as far down in Satan's pit as other evildoers.

Obama reminds me a little bit of Richard Russell Jr., the longtime Senator from Georgia who — as historian Robert Caro has noted — cultivated a reputation as a thoughtful, tolerant politician even as he defended inequality and segregation for decades. Obama gave a wonderfully Russellian defense of Warren on Thursday at a press conference. Americans, he said, need to "come together" even when they disagree on social issues. "That dialogue is part of what my campaign is all about," he said. Russell would often use the same tactic to deflect criticism of his civil rights record. It was a distraction, Russell said, from the important business of the day uniting all Americans. Obama also said today that he is a "fierce advocate for equality" for gays, which is — given his opposition to equal marriage rights — simply a lie. It recalls the time Russell said, "I'm as interested in the Negro people of my state as anyone in the Senate. I love them."

Many gays I know gave money to Obama, which mystified me. The favored explanation was that he doesn't "really" believe gays shouldn't be allowed to marry; he just has to say that in order to win. People seemed to feel that once he had won, he would find a way — in his contemplative style — to help convince Americans that gay people really do deserve basic equality. Instead, he has found a way to insult gay people deeply.

In California, some gay activists are planning to put marriage on the 2010 ballot so that Proposition 8 — which (thanks partly to Warren's support) passed last month, banning marriage equality in the state — can be undone. Gays will need to reach older, religious, and African-American voters in order to overturn Prop. 8 (those three groups all voted disproportionately for it). If gays hoped that President Obama would help, they may want to reconsider.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1867664,00.html

red states rule
12-24-2008, 09:31 AM
With all the Obamabots and gay rights folks here - I am surprised not a single lib jumped in on this thread

Could it be the resident Obamabots are not pleased with the messiah's stand on Prop 8?

Well, now a "reporter" at LSDMSNBC found another black liberal who is also against it

Whoops! Shuster Discovers Rev. Lowery Doesn't Support Gay Marriage
By Mark Finkelstein (Bio | Archive)
December 23, 2008 - 20:38 ET

Given some of the reactions to an item I wrote yesterday about Barney Frank's objections to Rick Warren giving the invocation at the inauguration, let me state for the record that I lean libertarian on marriage. On the one hand, I don't like courts substituting their judgment for legislatures or the will of the people. But in the long run, I think it might be better for government to recognize that marriage is a religious or spiritual institution, and confine its role to enforcing agreements between partners.

That said, I can't help but chuckle at the way the MSM is twisting itself into knots over the Rick Warren issue. The latest, most entertaining episode occured on this evening's 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, on MSNBC. David Shuster discovered that, contrary to his presumption, civil rights pioneer Rev. Joseph Lowery, also on the inaugural program, does not support gay marriage!

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-finkelstein/2008/12/23/shusters-shock-rev-lowery-opposed-gay-marriage-too

emmett
12-24-2008, 10:17 AM
The whole issue just goes to show how quickly a supposedly convicted supporter of a left handed politician, will do an about face when they don't walk hands out in front of them, like a mummy, to rank and file the agenda.

Politicians are soon to find out, even the left handers, that sexual preference may be an issue they would rather had stayed away from, like the democrats of the 60's - 80's were able to do by just not addressing them. High price to pay I presume just to have courted a few votes. LOL

red states rule
12-24-2008, 10:22 AM
The whole issue just goes to show how quickly a supposedly convicted supporter of a left handed politician, will do an about face when they don't walk hands out in front of them, like a mummy, to rank and file the agenda.

Politicians are soon to find out, even the left handers, that sexual preference may be an issue they would rather had stayed away from, like the democrats of the 60's - 80's were able to do by just not addressing them. High price to pay I presume just to have courted a few votes. LOL

It is amazing how the rabid left and their supporters in the liberal media will attack anyone who speaks out against gay marriage - as long as they do NOT have a "D" at the end of their name

They left wing kooks in CA are attacking supports of Prop 8 but NOT the black churchs, and NOT Obama.

They get a pass all because they are liberals and black