PDA

View Full Version : *Ahem* About Those Jobs Americans "Won't Do"

Kathianne
12-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Seems they will when it seems the best alternative:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB122973612592523337-lMyQjAxMDI4MjI5MDcyMzA2Wj.html

U.S. Workers Crowding Out Immigrant Laborers
By MIRIAM JORDAN

LOS ANGELES -- A year ago, a day-laborer center adjacent to a Home Depot here teemed with Latin American immigrants who showed up and found a sure day's work painting, gardening or hauling.

These days, more than immigrants are packing the Hollywood Community Job Center: Unemployed Americans are joining them. There's little work for anybody.

"Everybody is coming to look for work," says Rene Jemio, outreach coordinator for the hiring hall. "It's not just your average immigrant anymore; it's African-Americans and whites, too."

For the first time in a decade, unskilled immigrants are competing with Americans for work. And evidence is emerging that tens of thousands of Hispanic immigrants are withdrawing from the labor market as U.S. workers crowd them out of potential jobs. At least some of the foreigners are returning home.

"We see competition from more nonimmigrant workers," says Abel Valenzuela, a professor at the University of California at Los Angeles who studies day laborers. "Employers are also paying less than in previous years," he says....

The probable outcome to this is that when the economy picks up, which it will at some point, these positions will have to pay more to meet the demand to keep them filled. This was always the point many of us were making about illegal immigrants, they were getting screwed and forcing down wages to begin with.

LiberalNation
12-22-2008, 08:20 AM
or the immigants will simply come back to refill them. What you think the employers are gona cut their bottom line to actually pay more......

Kathianne
12-22-2008, 08:26 AM
or the immigants will simply come back to refill them. What you think the employers are gona cut their bottom line to actually pay more......

Yes, they will pay more. It's the same reason that McDonald's gives raises rather than hiring new workers. It's also the reason that Americans are now forcing out the illegals, for even lower wages.

5stringJeff
12-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Or, Obama can make the Great Big American-Mexican Wall one of his "public works" projects, so the immigrants will have a much tougher time coming back when the economy turns around.

Binky
12-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Seems they will when it seems the best alternative:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB122973612592523337-lMyQjAxMDI4MjI5MDcyMzA2Wj.html

The probable outcome to this is that when the economy picks up, which it will at some point, these positions will have to pay more to meet the demand to keep them filled. This was always the point many of us were making about illegal immigrants, they were getting screwed and forcing down wages to begin with.

These linesups for day labor puts me in mind of when men stood in line during the Great Depression for a job of some type, just to make enough money to feed their families for the day. OMG! We're so headed in the wrong direction. History is beginning to repeat itself. It's time to bend over and grab our bootstraps and hang on for dear life.

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 08:59 AM
The "jobs" that Americans will not do is a reichwing myth. I have never seen a job that Americans will not do and I'm like Hank Snow, I've Been Everywhere.

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Nukeman
12-23-2008, 09:04 AM
The "jobs" that Americans will not do is a reichwing myth. I have never seen a job that Americans will not do and I'm like Hank Snow, I've Been Everywhere.

PsychobluesDon't let OCA here you say that:coffee:

He is the illegal champion of the board........

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 09:24 AM
I promised the owner of the board that I would never mention the name of that idiot again.

Don't let OCA here you say that:coffee:

He is the illegal champion of the board........

That aside, can I get you a cool one for the morning?!?!??!?!??!???!??!?

Psychoblues