PDA

View Full Version : University of Chicago to allow co-ed dorm rooms

LiberalNation
12-22-2008, 12:48 PM
I really wish uofl would. We are "adults" in college, by law anyway.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081222/ap_on_re_us/co_ed_dorm_rooms;_ylt=AvaM7xg4nwLM1d6uFyHXMIEDW7oF

CHICAGO – The University of Chicago is joining a nationwide trend of allowing male and female students to live not just on the same dorm floor, but in the same dorm room.

The school sent a letter out to parents last week informing them of the decision. The school says it was a student-led initiative that isn't aimed at romantic couples. However, the school says couples won't be banned from asking to be roommates when the program begins next month.

Nationally more than 30 campuses allow co-ed dorm rooms.

darin
12-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Doesn't bother me. US of A is too gender-conscious. A little european-influence in that area would be welcome.

Yurt
12-22-2008, 01:09 PM
i need a second degree

12-22-2008, 03:05 PM
i need a second degree

The thought is tempting.

Mr. P
12-22-2008, 03:14 PM
I really wish uofl would. We are "adults" in college, by law anyway.

But you claim to be a lesbo, why would you want guys around? More competition? :dunno:

LiberalNation
12-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Cuz I'm rooming with a male relative and actually wouldn't mind sharing a dorm with a guy in a platonic situation. Tends to be less drama.

and finally just for the principle of freedom of choice.

Kathianne
12-22-2008, 04:07 PM
While I think there was something to gain from having roomate while I was in college, I'd never had to share a room, I think the choice makes sense. Too often even way back when, there was de facto arrangements with often one roomate trying to find a place to crash. Might as well let everyone keep and pay for their own living space.

5stringJeff
12-22-2008, 06:00 PM
While I don't have a problem with this in principle, in practice, I think this will have some unintended consequences. For example, how many platonic roommates will get sexually involved, and then decide mid-semester to break it off, and get really uncomfortable and decide they want different roomies?

Noir
12-22-2008, 06:28 PM
The uni I want to go to does allow co-habitation =/ so I'll just have to rent a flat of site, all seems a bit daft, but good show on this uni for breaking the mold in it's area.

manu1959
12-22-2008, 09:38 PM
with this economy a second degree seems in order.....

Mr. P
12-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Just a job will due for most folks I talk to everyday. That includes folks with multiple degrees. Things suck and it's getting worse I'm afraid.

Yurt
12-22-2008, 10:05 PM

http://genderstudies.uchicago.edu/undergrad/

:coffee:

Mr. P
12-22-2008, 10:56 PM
http://genderstudies.uchicago.edu/undergrad/

:coffee:

I think anyone that is married or has ever married should receive this degree.

If not can we do it online? :laugh2:

Yurt
12-22-2008, 11:47 PM
I think anyone that is married or has ever married should receive this degree.

If not can we do it online? :laugh2:

i'll take honorary

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 04:08 AM
I lived in co-ed barracks. What's wrong with co-ed university dormitories?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I think the proposition is absolutely GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Kathianne
12-23-2008, 05:48 AM
While I don't have a problem with this in principle, in practice, I think this will have some unintended consequences. For example, how many platonic roommates will get sexually involved, and then decide mid-semester to break it off, and get really uncomfortable and decide they want different roomies?

That happens with the same gender assigned roomates too. My son was stuck with a drug dealer his first year. He kept telling him not to sell out of the room, but the guy wouldn't listen. My son talked to my brother and did narc him out. Talk about 'uncomfortable,' but it beat being arrested himself.

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 05:53 AM
Co-ed does not mean having to live with criminals, Kat.

I know you mean well but can we have just a bit of respect for the conversation at hand!???!??!??!?!??!??!?

How 'bout a Cosmos?!????!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

Kathianne
12-23-2008, 05:57 AM
Co-ed does not mean having to live with criminals, Kat.

I know you mean well but can we have just a bit of respect for the conversation at hand!???!??!??!?!??!??!?

How 'bout a Cosmos?!????!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

Not at 5 am. I was addressing Jeff's post of problem roomies, has nothing to do with gender. But you knew that.

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 06:25 AM
You went into a screed about criminal activities, Kat.

Not at 5 am. I was addressing Jeff's post of problem roomies, has nothing to do with gender. But you knew that.

Sorry 'bout the misunderstanding?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

How 'bout a a cup of genuine Columbian Java?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!!?!?! I have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

5stringJeff
12-23-2008, 03:32 PM
That happens with the same gender assigned roomates too. My son was stuck with a drug dealer his first year. He kept telling him not to sell out of the room, but the guy wouldn't listen. My son talked to my brother and did narc him out. Talk about 'uncomfortable,' but it beat being arrested himself.

I know the problem wouldn't be limited to only mixed-gender roommates. But I think mixed genders would exacerbate the problem.

darin
12-23-2008, 04:53 PM
I LOVE College...might even go someday. :)

http://tailgateinfo.com/fsu.JPG