PDA

View Full Version : European Countries May Take Detainees

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Under Bush, Nations Refused to Resettle Guantanamo Prisoners

By Peter Finn
Washington Post Staff Writer

European nations have begun intensive discussions both within and among their governments on whether to resettle detainees from the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, as a significant overture to the incoming Obama administration, according to senior European officials and U.S. diplomats.

The willingness to consider accepting prisoners who cannot be returned to their home countries, because of fears they may be tortured there, represents a major change in attitude on the part of European governments. Repeated requests from the Bush administration that European allies accept some Guantanamo Bay detainees received only refusals.

The Bush administration "produced the problem," Karsten Voigt, coordinator of German-American cooperation at the German Foreign Ministry, said in a telephone interview. "With Obama, the difference is that he tries to solve it."

At least half a dozen countries are considering resettlement, with only Germany and Portugal acknowledging it publicly thus far.

German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier has instructed officials to look into political, legal and logistical aspects of the matter, a ministry spokesman said yesterday. A discussion paper on the issue has been circulating among ministries in Berlin for weeks, German officials said.

European officials put out tentative feelers to Barack Obama's team to see whether it was willing to discuss the issue, but the incoming administration has rejected holding even informal talks until after the Jan. 20 inauguration, according to European and U.S. officials aware of the outreach.

"President-elect Obama has repeatedly said that he intends to close Guantanamo, and he will follow through on those commitments as president. There is one president at a time, and we intend to respect that," said Brooke Anderson, chief national security spokeswoman for the Obama transition team.

The Portuguese government pushed what had been private discussions in Europe into the open this month when Foreign Minister Luís Amado brought up the issue in a letter to his counterparts in other countries.

"The time has come for the European Union to step forward," he wrote. "As a matter of principle and coherence, we should send a clear signal of our willingness to help the U.S. government in that regard, namely through the resettlement of detainees. As far as the Portuguese government is concerned, we will be available to participate."

Amado said yesterday in a phone interview that he plans to raise the issue at a meeting of E.U. foreign ministers in late January. It will also be discussed at an E.U. General Affairs and External Relations Council meeting on Jan. 26, he added.

"I believe the new administration will have the conditions to create a new dynamic of cooperation," Amado said. He noted that when he first raised the issue of Guantanamo Bay at a meeting of E.U. foreign ministers about seven months ago, some countries resisted assisting the Bush administration.

"I assume the new administration will have someone on a plane to Europe within minutes of Obama being sworn in," said Sarah E. Mendelson, director of the Human Rights and Security Initiative at the Center for Strategic and International Studies and the author of a report on closing Guantanamo Bay...........................................

Much More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/22/AR2008122201749.html?hpid=topnews

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

(bolded emphasis in article my own)

Kathianne
12-23-2008, 05:55 AM
That would be fantastic. If the Europeans will take these folks and assimilate them into their populations, I can't see a problem with that.

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Just where did you get that word "assimilation", Kat?

That would be fantastic. If the Europeans will take these folks and assimilate them into their populations, I can't see a problem with that.

Are you just kidding?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

Kathianne
12-23-2008, 06:02 AM
Just where did you get that word "assimilation", Kat?

Are you just kidding?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

I was not kidding. If they want them, I think they should get them. Both sides happy and the detainees won't be tortured.

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 06:17 AM
I think Leavenworth, Kansas wants them as well but I don't think "assimilation" into the Kansas society is the primary objective!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was not kidding. If they want them, I think they should get them. Both sides happy and the detainees won't be tortured.

How's that Cosmos holding up for you?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!

Psychoblues

Kathianne
12-23-2008, 06:23 AM
I think Leavenworth, Kansas wants them as well but I don't think "assimilation" into the Kansas society is the primary objective!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's that Cosmos holding up for you?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!

Psychoblues

I don't think Leavenworth wants them, indeed their being sent anywhere outside our borders sounds like a grand idea. I'm sure they are, have been, and will be model people in Europe. I'm on coffee, after my evening rest. How about you, another 6 pack?

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 06:31 AM
Don't think so? On what do you base your opinion?

I don't think Leavenworth wants them, indeed their being sent anywhere outside our borders sounds like a grand idea. I'm sure they are, have been, and will be model people in Europe. I'm on coffee, after my evening rest. How about you, another 6 pack?

I'm jammin' coffee as well. Could I offer you some Columbian?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

Psychoblues

Noir
12-23-2008, 06:38 AM
indeed, we have already taken most of ours back over the last few years, I think there is one left, though I may be wrong in that.

Kathianne
12-23-2008, 06:41 AM
indeed, we have already taken most of ours back over the last few years, I think there is one left, though I may be wrong in that.

Oh it's implied from original post that more are desired, even if not from Europe. I think it a great idea, the tolerance and such being so far superior than elsewhere among humanity.

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Obviously you didn't even bother to read the OP (original post) Kat, so just what do you know about any of this?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Oh it's implied from original post that more are desired, even if not from Europe. I think it a great idea, the tolerance and such being so far superior than elsewhere among humanity.

jk!!!!!!!!! :laugh2:

Psychoblues

Kathianne
12-23-2008, 06:52 AM
Obviously you didn't even bother to read the OP (original post) Kat, so just what do you know about any of this?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!

jk!!!!!!!!! :laugh2:

Psychoblues
We're both old enough and wise enough to know the premise is more Euro blathering. Good way to dis Bush for one of the last times and get the conversation off Blago and Barack's strange to liberal appointments and announcements, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Europe to take these boy scouts home.

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 07:05 AM
I didn't read the article that way at all, Kat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're both old enough and wise enough to know the premise is more Euro blathering. Good way to dis Bush for one of the last times and get the conversation off Blago and Barack's strange to liberal appointments and announcements, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Europe to take these boy scouts home.

Just what is your obsession with Blaggo? I know he is your governor and all but is he really that important to you that you have to bring his name up in these international discussions?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!

How's the java holding up?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??

Psychoblues

Kathianne
12-23-2008, 07:21 AM
I didn't read the article that way at all, Kat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just what is your obsession with Blaggo? I know he is your governor and all but is he really that important to you that you have to bring his name up in these international discussions?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!

How's the java holding up?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??

Psychoblues

Let's just say my guess regarding Blago and the new administration's connections will eventually come out, but more likely at the election not from Fitzgerald. In the meantime, one must remind folks where he and his close buddies hail from. Indeed I think the press stories like this are meant to shut that story down.

I never run out of coffee. Milk? Regularly. Sugar? Here and there. Coffee? Never.

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 07:32 AM
I don't guess I've ever met a Republican that didn't need a little titty every now and then.

Let's just say my guess regarding Blago and the new administration's connections will eventually come out, but more likely at the election not from Fitzgerald. In the meantime, one must remind folks where he and his close buddies hail from. Indeed I think the press stories like this are meant to shut that story down.

I never run out of coffee. Milk? Regularly. Sugar? Here and there. Coffee? Never.

Milk?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Kathianne
12-23-2008, 07:38 AM
I don't guess I've ever met a Republican that didn't need a little titty every now and then.

Milk?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

At 6:30 am, my friend just called, "Hi! You're awake? Thought so. Do you have coffee on?" She's coming over in a couple minutes. ;)

Psychoblues
12-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Enjoy your company and coffee, Kat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At 6:30 am, my friend just called, "Hi! You're awake? Thought so. Do you have coffee on?" She's coming over in a couple minutes. ;)

Let me and the dipshit work out our own differences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:coffee:

Psychoblues