PDA

View Full Version : Many suffered from anti-gay violence in 2008

LiberalNation
12-24-2008, 12:12 AM
sad....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081224/ap_on_re_us/anti_gay_violence;_ylt=As.SiQg45ICPr_FOOMPqnIRvzwc F

SAN FRANCISCO – From a series of street bashings in Seattle to the baseball bat murder of an Ecuadorean immigrant in New York, episodes of anti-gay violence punctuated a year now ending with police investigating the alleged gang rape of a lesbian near San Francisco.

Advocates said Tuesday they do not know whether the threats, beatings and murders reflect a true rise in attacks or increased reporting of hate-based crimes that persist even as gays gain greater visibility and legal protections.

"When you are talking about hate crimes, people think someone is likely to report it, but in some communities the message is not always clear that our society has accepted LGBT folks," said Sarah Tofte, a researcher at New York-based Human Rights Watch, referring to the acronym for lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people.

In Richmond, the crime-ravaged Bay Area city where the 28-year-old lesbian reported being assaulted by four men 10 days ago, police on Tuesday received so many calls from community members wanting to help that they asked the local rape crisis center to set up a fund to aid her.

FBI statistics show there were 1,265 hate crimes based on sexual orientation in 2007, up from 1,017 two years earlier and 1,239 in 2003. That compares to 3,820 racially motivated incidents in 2007 and 1,400 in which the victim's religion was a factor.

Because not all states allow attacks motivated by anti-gay bias to be charged as hate crimes and because some victims are reluctant to reveal their sexual orientations to police, gay and transgender rights advocates suspect the numbers to be much higher.

The vast majority of brutality against gays is carried out by young men, usually acting in groups, said Riki Wilchins, executive director of Gender Public Advocacy Coalition, a Washington nonprofit that works in schools to address discrimination.

Their victims most often are other young men with feminine demeanors or transgender women, said Wilchins. "These assailants are looking to eradicate and exterminate something that enrages them, and that is what makes them hate crimes," he said.

GenderPAC published a report in 2006 cataloguing the murders of 50 such victims under 30 years old over a 10-year period. The group has identified another 20 murders of "gender non-conforming youth" that have taken place in the two years since, although FBI statistics for the same period show only five hate crime slayings linked to the victim's sexual orientation.

"There has definitely been a huge spike. I don't think anybody knows why," Wilchins said.

Many of the incidents that have captured headlines this year — from the February shooting death of a gay teenager at his Southern California middle school to this month's slaying of a Brooklyn man who was fatally beaten while walking arm-and-arm with his brother — fit Wilchins' profile.

Larry King, the 15-year-old shot by a classmate, wore feminine clothing and makeup. Jose Sucuzhanay, 31, was beaten with a baseball bat in Brooklyn and kicked by three men who jumped out of a car yelling anti-gay and anti-Hispanic slurs.

The unidentified woman who was sexually assaulted in Richmond on Dec. 13 also was jumped by a group. Detectives say she was attacked after she got out of her car, which bore a rainbow gay pride sticker.

After one of the four men struck her, the group dragged the woman into the street, assaulted her, forced her back into her car and took her to a burned-out apartment building, where she was raped again. Authorities are still searching for the suspects.

The National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, a network of organizations working to address gay-related violence, has tracked numerous other anti-gay crimes this year. They include the deaths of transgender women in Tennessee and Colorado; an arson that destroyed the home of a 65-year-old gay man in New York, and a spate of street beatings in Seattle's gay district.

PostmodernProphet
12-24-2008, 06:39 AM
it strikes me that compared to the national incidence of straight on straight, non-hate violence, as a percentage, a person who is hated has a much lower chance of being attacked than someone who isn't......amazing, isn't it?......

moon
12-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Pope Benedict XVI has said that saving humanity from homosexual or transsexual behaviour is just as important as saving the rainforest from destruction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7796663.stm

The world can survive with a gay community. It can't survive without rainforests. Ratso is cracking up. The violent/moronic populace will use his words to promote homophobia. Probably illegal logging and forest-burning too.

Nukeman
12-24-2008, 07:28 AM
The world can survive with a gay community. It can't survive without rainforests. Ratso is cracking up. The violent/moronic populace will use his words to promote homophobia. Probably illegal logging and forest-burning too.

Tell me again how tolerant the Islamist are with homosexuals and other religions????:poke:

Immanuel
12-24-2008, 10:33 AM
it strikes me that compared to the national incidence of straight on straight, non-hate violence, as a percentage, a person who is hated has a much lower chance of being attacked than someone who isn't......amazing, isn't it?......

You should be careful in how you word things. This can be used by liberals to declare that "Hate Crime" laws are beneficial to the community; without those laws, they will claim, that crimes against the oppressed would be much higher than they are now.

That being said, I do not believe that anyone should be attacked for any reason let alone if they are gay, a different color or what have you. The penalty for any crime should not be different just because someone is "different". Attack me and you should go to prison just as long as you would if you attacked my friend who happens to be gay.

Immie

moon
12-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Nukeman;

Tell me again how tolerant the Islamist are with homosexuals and other religions????

Sure, when you show me an article by the head honcho muslim claiming that ridding the world of homosexuality is as important as protecting rainforests.

Yurt
12-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Nukeman;

Sure, when you show me an article by the head honcho muslim claiming that ridding the world of homosexuality is as important as protecting rainforests.

red herring...

what happens to homosexuals under sharia law moon? what does the quran or hadiths say is the punishment for homosexuals moon?

namvet
12-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Iran Executes Two Homosexual Boys

Two gay Iranian teenagers -- one 18, the other believed to be 16 or 17, were executed this week for the "crime" of homosexuality, the Iranian Student News Agency (ISNA) reported on July 19. (The ISNA report is in Farsi, and was translated into English by the British gay rights group OutRage!, ISNA also provided the terrifying photos of the teens' last moments you see on this page (check below).The two youths -- identified only by their initials as M.A. and A.M., were hanged on July 19 in Edalat (Justice) Square in the city of Mashhad in north-eastern Iran, on the orders of Court No. 19. The hanging of the teens was also reported by the National Council of Resistance of Iran.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8059/2998zi2.jpg

source (source) well moon ????

12-24-2008, 01:17 PM
How about those who are suffering from pro gay violence?

PostmodernProphet
12-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Nukeman;

If I recall, the head honcho Iranian thinks he has rid Iran of homosexuality......

5stringJeff
12-24-2008, 06:17 PM
How about those who are suffering from pro gay violence?

My thoughts exactly. How many gays attacked people over their anti-gay views?

moon
12-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Yurt;

red herring...

Not at all. Nukeman introduced Islam into a thread about American homophobic violence and I addressed his post. You are simply trying to further dilute the thread with your own ingrained Islamophobia.

PostModernProphet;

If I recall, the head honcho Iranian thinks he has rid Iran of homosexuality......

Nobody's infallible. The American public thinks it has rid the White House of assholes.

Yurt
12-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Yurt;

Not at all. Nukeman introduced Islam into a thread about American homophobic violence and I addressed his post. You are simply trying to further dilute the thread with your own ingrained Islamophobia.

PostModernProphet;

Nobody's infallible. The American public thinks it has rid the White House of assholes.

moon, why is it you so often cut out parts of my post? it seems to always be when i present facts or questions that do not comport to your world view...are you that insecure in your world view that you can't honestly discuss an issue, so insecure that you have to delete the counter view point question or fact?

what happens to homosexuals under sharia law moon? what does the quran or hadiths say is the punishment for homosexuals moon?

what is it about these two little questions that caused you such great fear that you deleted them from my post?

moon
12-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Yurt;

moon, why is it you so often cut out parts of my post?

It's an act of mercy. Wtf wants to read all that crap twice ?

Quote:what happens to homosexuals under sharia law moon? what does the quran or hadiths say is the punishment for homosexuals moon?

what is it about these two little questions that caused you such great fear that you deleted them from my post?

Fear ? You're posting off-topic horseshit questions and I'm ignoring the deviations. Go start a thread about the Qur'an and quit crapping in this one.

stephanie
12-26-2008, 05:49 PM
:lol:

oooooooo, the new dude has become the thread police..

Sitarro
12-27-2008, 03:01 AM

So I guess this is what you call sticking to the thread. About your insult to all Catholics, you who will defend idiot islamic dimwits ........ what a pathetic joke you are.:321::upyours::finger3:

moon
12-27-2008, 06:26 AM
Sitarro;

So I guess this is what you call sticking to the thread. About your insult to all Catholics, you who will defend idiot islamic dimwits .......

That's fair comment, apart from the ad hominem shit which I've left out, but what you've failed to weigh is that Ratso was spouting his homophobia on national television. You can't leave such rabble-rousing out of a discussion on increased levels of violence towards gays. You might like it to be left out, for reasons of your own, but it's relevant and should be included.

On the other hand, wtf is the red herring of 'Islam' doing in the thread ? Were these muslim gays who've been bashed ? Or were their attackers muslims ? No. Somebody just thought they'd give their own brand of bigotry an airing.

PostmodernProphet
12-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Sitarro;

That's fair comment, apart from the ad hominem shit which I've left out, but what you've failed to weigh is that Ratso was spouting his homophobia on national television. You can't leave such rabble-rousing out of a discussion on increased levels of violence towards gays. You might like it to be left out, for reasons of your own, but it's relevant and should be included.

On the other hand, wtf is the red herring of 'Islam' doing in the thread ? Were these muslim gays who've been bashed ? Or were their attackers muslims ? No. Somebody just thought they'd give their own brand of bigotry an airing.

Do we have a bigotry quota how?.....only one brand of bigotry per thread?.....because I suspect that the use of "Ratso" in your posts demonstrates at least one brand already.....

moon
12-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Pope Ratzinger is known as 'Ratso' outside of Catholic circles on account of his associations with fascist groups in his youth. Give a dog a bad name......

Who have we got;

Barack 'Osama'
'Guantanamo' George
'Lon' Cheney
'Billary' Clinton
.....and dozens of others. You want to omit 'Ratzo' Ratzinger for any specific reason ? When you consider that the guy is castigating homosexuals on national television when his following of priests have been caught abusing choirboys you might find the moniker 'Ratso' rather mild. And that's without his contempt for the rainforests.

Pope Apologizes for Sexual Abuse in Australia

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/19/world/asia/19apology.html?_r=1&emc=rss&partner=rssnyt

Pope lands in the U.S., apologizes for priest abuse

http://tinyurl.com/9lcspy

This is the same Ratso that's attacking gays, right , the buggering priest's head boy ? Bigotry ? Larf.

Yurt
12-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Yurt;

Fear ? You're posting off-topic horseshit questions and I'm ignoring the deviations. Go start a thread about the Qur'an and quit crapping in this one.

answer this question and it will help determine whether it is off topic:

are you muslim?

yes or no

further, if you say no, you seemngly support muslim agendas....and it is fair to point out your hypocrisy of bashing folks here for acts against gays when islamic law dictates gays should be KILLED.

moon
12-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Yurt;

are you muslim?

yes or no

Hardly Sherlock Holmes, are you old boy. You'll never know. This isn't an interrogation and I'm not a waterboarding candidate.

Yurt
12-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Yurt;

Hardly Sherlock Holmes, are you old boy. You'll never know. This isn't an interrogation and I'm not a waterboarding candidate.

interesting that you wou ld get offended by someone asking if you are muslim...and that you would consider such question TORTURE...

the fact you are scared to answer the question shows you are not a truthful person and you are hiding behind a wall of meadowmuffins

moon
12-27-2008, 12:01 PM
They should beam you up. You're on the wrong planet.

Yurt
12-27-2008, 12:06 PM
They should beam you up. You're on the wrong planet.

stop torturing yourself by eating and spewing meadowmuffins all day

emmett
12-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Yurt;

My friend.... this thread had shit smeared all over it already!

moon
12-27-2008, 12:49 PM
It sure has. The graphic turdery started at post #4 and the rest of the kids joined in. That's the pattern here.

12-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Pope Ratzinger is known as 'Ratso' outside of Catholic circles on account of his associations with fascist groups in his youth. Give a dog a bad name......

Funny, I'm not in Catholic circles and I wouldn't insult the Pope like that. Nor would I insult any of the other people you cite. But then that's probably the difference between you and I.

Yurt
12-27-2008, 09:29 PM
It sure has. The graphic turdery started at post #4 and the rest of the kids joined in. That's the pattern here.

why do you enjoy eating and spewing meadowmuffins?

moon
12-28-2008, 08:28 AM

Funny, I'm not in Catholic circles and I wouldn't insult the Pope like that. Nor would I insult any of the other people you cite. But then that's probably the difference between you and I.

There are many differences between me and you. I'm anti-Zionist and anti-buggery. You wouldn't insult the head of the Buggery Boys, I would. That doesn't make me bigoted, mind, any more than does objecting to torture in American custody. If it were legal for Catholic priests to shag choirboys then the previous poster's 'bigotry' comment could be valid.(#18) However, it isn't, so it ain't.

Incidentally, where are all the 'anti-Semite' parrots when somebody is denouncing Ratso ? One trick ponies, no doubt, sharpening their crayons and blunted diatribe.

red states rule
12-28-2008, 09:35 AM

There are many differences between me and you. I'm anti-Zionist and anti-buggery. You wouldn't insult the head of the Buggery Boys, I would. That doesn't make me bigoted, mind, any more than does objecting to torture in American custody. If it were legal for Catholic priests to shag choirboys then the previous poster's 'bigotry' comment could be valid.(#18) However, it isn't, so it ain't.

Incidentally, where are all the 'anti-Semite' parrots when somebody is denouncing Ratso ? One trick ponies, no doubt, sharpening their crayons and blunted diatribe.

Virgil returns :lol:

moon
12-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Of course, some diatribe can never be sharpened.

red states rule
12-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Of course, some diatribe can never be sharpened.

Like the point on top of your head Virgil?

moon
12-28-2008, 09:45 AM
No, my 'points' are quite sharp enough. Dullards wouldn't be expected to appreciate just how sharp.

red states rule
12-28-2008, 09:47 AM
No, my 'points' are quite sharp enough. Dullards wouldn't be expected to appreciate just how sharp.

You seem to be in a good mood this morning - did you just come back from bombing a Jewish synagogue?

moon
12-28-2008, 09:50 AM
red states rule;

- did you just come back from bombing a Jewish synagogue?

What other kinds are there ?

namvet
12-28-2008, 10:09 AM
You seem to be in a good mood this morning - did you just come back from bombing a Jewish synagogue?

he just found out the jews are exterminating Muslim mongolids in Gaza.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/486128/0_28_122808_israel1_450.jpg

let the Muslim holocaust begin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dance::dance:

moon
12-28-2008, 10:11 AM
let the Muslim holocaust begin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Namvet', you lost in South East Asia. Why would anyone be interested in your opinions concerning other illegal slaughters ?

PostmodernProphet
12-28-2008, 11:40 AM
What other kinds are there ?
unbombed Jewish synagogues?......

12-28-2008, 11:47 AM

buggery? and you condemn the Pope who is fighting such nonsense? Please, you are a bigot and nothing more.

12-28-2008, 11:49 AM
'Namvet', you lost in South East Asia. Why would anyone be interested in your opinions concerning other illegal slaughters ?

Yeah, we "lost" in south east asia, and then the largest genocide in history took place. You see we prevent illegal slaughters.

moon
12-28-2008, 12:48 PM

buggery? and you condemn the Pope who is fighting such nonsense? Please, you are a bigot and nothing more.

I'm sorry for you, so I'll explain. What gays do in their private lives is a matter for themselves. Catholic priests committing buggery with minors is something else entirely. The bigot is you, but when you come to accept that you really don't have a clue about most of the topics you get involved in you might start to make some progress.
First- recognise your problem.
Second- address it.

Of course, Ratso has made a terrible mistake in attempting to castigate gays as a means of making redress for his priests' buggery. He has given the homophobes ammunition to commit violence, as the topic opener highlights.

Yeah, we "lost" in south east asia, and then the largest genocide in history took place.

It did ? Link please.

PostmodernProphet;

There are types of synagogues other than jewish ?

PostmodernProphet
12-28-2008, 02:05 PM
a What gays do in their private lives is a matter for themselves.

agreed....it was when they took it to the television shows and the courtrooms that they fucked it up.....

PostmodernProphet
12-28-2008, 02:07 PM
PostmodernProphet;
Quote:
Moon;There are types of synagogues other than jewish ?

it's pretty sad when you advocate the bombing of religious centers and quibble about grammar....which is worse in your mind, killing people you don't like or posting unclearly.....

moon
12-28-2008, 03:43 PM
it's pretty sad when you advocate the bombing of religious centers and quibble about grammar..

You invent circumstances for others and deceive yourself into thinking that they are real. Then you think it's sad. Geez, that's sad.

So then, you weren't any more successful in identifying a non-jewish synagogue than red states rule. How about 'foot boots', or maybe 'head hats' as additions to your shared vocabularies ? Geez, 'jewish synagogues'. This place is worse than they said.

PostmodernProphet
12-28-2008, 05:31 PM
You invent circumstances for others and deceive yourself into thinking that they are real. Then you think it's sad. Geez, that's sad.

So then, you weren't any more successful in identifying a non-jewish synagogue than red states rule. How about 'foot boots', or maybe 'head hats' as additions to your shared vocabularies ? Geez, 'jewish synagogues'. This place is worse than they said.

again....I look at your posts and see that you are concerned about oxymorons and not morons.....I despise your bigotry.....

moon
12-28-2008, 05:53 PM
again....I look at your posts and see that you are concerned about oxymorons and not morons.....I despise your bigotry.....

'jewish synogogue' isn't an oxymoron and I don't have any bigotry to be despised. That's just another of your inventions. Sad, like I said.