PDA

View Full Version : Wiesel Foundation loses nearly everything in Madoff scheme

LiberalNation
12-24-2008, 01:59 PM
dude will prolly die naturally before he ever sees a jail cell.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081224/ts_alt_afp/usfinancefraudwieselfoundation

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity lost more than 15 million dollars -- nearly all of its assets -- in the alleged fraud scheme run by Wall Street baron Bernard Madoff, the fund said Wednesday.

"We are writing to inform you that the Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity had 15.2 million dollars under management with Bernard Madoff Investment Securities," said the foundation, which aims to combat anti-Semitism, on its website.

"This represented substantially all of the Foundation's assets," it said.

"We are deeply saddened and distressed that we, along with many others, have been the victims of what may be one of the largest investment frauds in history."

The statement added that the foundation "remains committed to carrying on the lifelong work of our founder, Elie Wiesel. We shall not be deterred from our mission to combat indifference, intolerance, and injustice around the world."

Wiesel, 80, a Nobel laureate and prolific author who survived the Holocaust, created the foundation some 20 years ago to foster international dialogue and youth programs to teach tolerance.

He is among dozens of wealthy Jews to have lost substantial amounts of money in Madoff's scheme.

Prosecutors say Madoff confessed to losing upwards of 50 billion dollars over years of running a pyramid scheme, where new investors were secretly fleeced to pay returns to earlier investors.

The 70-year-old former chairman of the Nasdaq stock market and a mainstay of the powerful American Jewish community is currently free on bail of 10 million dollars as police continue their probe

red states rule
12-24-2008, 02:54 PM
What I find interesting in this scandal is the liberal media does not mention Bernard Madoff is a Democrat, a Democrat fundraiser, and Obama supporter

Unlike with Republicnas, when a Dem breaks the law and gets caught, the liberal media ignores the party affilation

Noir
12-24-2008, 03:35 PM
So you think part of the blame should go to Obama rsr?

manu1959
12-24-2008, 03:39 PM
So you think part of the blame should go to Obama rsr?

no .... he thinks that the press should provide all the same facts about dem crooks as they do about pub crooks.

Kathianne
12-24-2008, 03:47 PM
no .... he thinks that the press should provide all the same facts about dem crooks as they do about pub crooks.

Even I go along with that. Trust me, Noir, if Made off had been a generous Republican backer, would have been front & center of any story.

Noir
12-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Even I go along with that. Trust me, Noir, if Made off had been a generous Republican backer, would have been front & center of any story.

That may be, but I don't think any party affilation should be made, wheather it's dem, repub, greens or anyother party unless they are acting with consent of the party, which this guy clarly wasn't.

Kathianne
12-24-2008, 04:14 PM
That may be, but I don't think any party affilation should be made, wheather it's dem, repub, greens or anyother party unless they are acting with consent of the party, which this guy clarly wasn't.

The point was, it WOULD be the story, if he were a Republican backer.

red states rule
12-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Does the name Jack Ambermoff mean anything to you folks?

We had 24/7 coverage of this guy for months. We will constantly told about him being a Republican, the money he gave to which Republicans (nothing of course about the Dems he gave money to) and how this would taint Republicans

The liberal media has a long history of not reporting those who have a "D" at the end of their name - and with the Dems running things in DC it will only get worse

As the Gov Blago incident shows, the liberal media wil not only slant the news to favor Dems, they will also act as defense attorney when needed

Noir
12-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Does the name Jack Ambermoff mean anything to you folks?

We had 24/7 coverage of this guy for months. We will constantly told about him being a Republican, the money he gave to which Republicans (nothing of course about the Dems he gave money to) and how this would taint Republicans

The liberal media has a long history of not reporting those who have a "D" at the end of their name - and with the Dems running things in DC it will only get worse

As the Gov Blago incident shows, the liberal media wil not only slant the news to favor Dems, they will also act as defense attorney when needed

Well you guys know much more about this kinda stuff than I, but I must enquire as to why conservitive news stations would not run such storys about party affiliation?

red states rule
12-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Well you guys know much more about this kinda stuff than I, but I must enquire as to why conservitive news stations would not run such storys about party affiliation?

What conservitive news stations areyou talking about? MSNBC with Chris Matthews and Keith Overbite?

Perky Katie?

I can give yu many examples where the MSM liberal media have "overlooked" the party affilation of a Dem when he gets in trouble - but points out the party affliation of a Republican in the first or second sentence of the story

Noir
12-25-2008, 03:17 PM
What conservitive news stations areyou talking about? MSNBC with Chris Matthews and Keith Overbite?

Perky Katie?

I can give yu many examples where the MSM liberal media have "overlooked" the party affilation of a Dem when he gets in trouble - but points out the party affliation of a Republican in the first or second sentence of the story

Is fox news not conservitive?

And what about all the conservitive radio shows that are always brought up when talkin about the 'fairness doc'?

red states rule
12-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Is fox news now conservitive?

And what about all the conservitive radio shows that are always brought up when talkin about the 'fairness doc'?

Fox News is mearly fair and balanced. Fox has more liberals on then the number of conservatives CNN and MSNBC have on combined

THe Fairness Doc is the left attempt to silence those conservative talk shows they can't compete with

Now, what about the liberal media's habit of NOT talking about party affilation when a Dem gets caught with his/her hand in the cookie jar?

Noir
12-25-2008, 03:35 PM
well don't the conservitive radio shows broadcast such information?

As for it happenig, I don't think it should, wheather or not he voted o e way or the other or supported anyone is not important, it's a shame if the media play one way, atleast over here our media have the decency to arts k all the party's

red states rule
12-25-2008, 03:52 PM
well don't the conservitive radio shows broadcast such information?

As for it happenig, I don't think it should, wheather or not he voted o e way or the other or supported anyone is not important, it's a shame if the media play one way, atleast over here our media have the decency to arts k all the party's

You still do n ot get it Noir. The MS liberal media is doing all they can to cover for the Dems

As I posted on another thread, Obama voters who did not know things like who said he would spread the wealth around, or who in his first election got all of his opponents kicked off the ballot, or did not know who John Ayers was - all said they get their news from The NY Times and MSNBC

It is clear, objective journaism is now dead in most newsrooms across America. They are now additional offices for Obama administration staff members