PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Lights Are Bad For the Planet

red states rule
12-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Just in time for Christmas Eve - turn off your Christmas lights you are helping to destroy Mother Earth

With Obama as President, the left will target Christmas as they have done SUV's

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/grinch.jpg

Scientists warn Christmas lights harm the planet

SCIENTISTS have warned that Christmas lights are bad for the planet due to huge electricity waste and urged people to get energy efficient festive bulbs.

CSIRO researchers said householders should know that each bulb turned on in the name of Christmas will increase emissions of greenhouse gases.

Dr Glenn Platt, who leads research on energy demand, said Australia got 80 per cent of its electricity by burning coal which pumps harmful emissions into the atmosphere.

He said: "Energy efficient bulbs, such as LEDs, and putting your Christmas lights on a timer are two very easy ways to minimise the amount of electricity you use to power your lights."

He said the nation's electricity came from "centralised carbon intensive, coal-based power stations" which were responsible for emitting over one third of Australia's greenhouse gas emissions.

Dr Platt added: "For a zero-emission Christmas light show, you may consider using solar powered lights or sourcing your electricity from verified green power suppliers."
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24839835-23272,00.html

manu1959
12-24-2008, 03:06 PM
mine are powered by the sun ..... :fu:

red states rule
12-24-2008, 03:07 PM
mine are powered by the sun ..... :fu:

Even so, the lights increase emissions of greenhouse gases and you are dooming the Earth

Merry Christmas, and put up even more lights next year to piss off the enviro wackos

manu1959
12-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Even so, the lights increase emissions of greenhouse gases and you are dooming the Earth

Merry Christmas, and put up even more lights next year to piss off the enviro wackos

how does a stand of lights (well 25 strands actually) powered by solar energy emit co2......

red states rule
12-24-2008, 03:12 PM
how does a stand of lights (well 25 strands actually) powered by solar energy emit co2......

The article says the lights give off co2

Besides, the left will then complain about light pollution. They will always find something to bitch about

How much co2 is this display giving off

http://www.freefoto.com/images/90/13/90_13_2---Christmas-Lights_web.jpg?&k=Christmas+Lights

manu1959
12-24-2008, 03:15 PM
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Dr Platt added: "For a zero-emission Christmas light show, you may consider using solar powered lights or sourcing your electricity from verified green power suppliers."
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...-23272,00.html

The article says the lights give off co2

Besides, the left will then complain about light pollution. They will always find something to bitch about

How much co2 is this display giving off

http://www.freefoto.com/images/90/13/90_13_2---Christmas-Lights_web.jpg?&k=Christmas+Lights

red states rule
12-24-2008, 03:18 PM
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...-23272,00.html

Does not matter to these idiots Manu. Even when you do what they ask you to do, they move the goal posts and find something new

Like telling nus to drive less and conserve gas. Now that we have, the left talks about a gas tax increase to offset the drop in tax revenue since less gas is being sold

You use solar - great but that will not be good enough. The enviro wackos will want more

Noir
12-24-2008, 03:29 PM
:laugh2:

Gawd rsr, be man enough to admit when you make a mistake.

As for the artical, it's hardly surprising, but it is quite belittling that some folk feel the need to spell it out.

Btw good show Manu on the solar lights.

manu1959
12-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Does not matter to these idiots Manu. Even when you do what they ask you to do, they move the goal posts and find something new

Like telling nus to drive less and conserve gas. Now that we have, the left talks about a gas tax increase to offset the drop in tax revenue since less gas is being sold

You use solar - great but that will not be good enough. The enviro wackos will want more

i planted six new oak trees and three new japanese maples to help suck up all the co2.....oh ya i also add a dozen more rose bushes ....and....i compost and make my own fertilizer and grow my own fruits and vegitables......

Kathianne
12-24-2008, 03:36 PM
i planted six new oak trees and three new japanese maples to help suck up all the co2.....oh ya i also add a dozen more rose bushes ....and....i compost and make my own fertilizer and grow my own fruits and vegitables......

That's the only thing I miss about my own yard. Damn townhome association, won't allow vegetable growing. Flowers are ok, but not trees. Sigh.

manu1959
12-24-2008, 03:41 PM
That's the only thing I miss about my own yard. Damn townhome association, won't allow vegetable growing. Flowers are ok, but not trees. Sigh.

do you have a deck or patio?

Kathianne
12-24-2008, 03:46 PM
do you have a deck or patio?

Yes, patio. They will not allow planters, as 'vegetables attract undesirable animals.' They are like nazis. On the other hand, perhaps with the economy being the way it is, an adjustment may be forthcoming?

Manu, hope your Christmas is great, how could it not be with those little children. Much joy for you and yours!

manu1959
12-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Yes, patio. They will not allow planters, as 'vegetables attract undesirable animals.' They are like nazis. On the other hand, perhaps with the economy being the way it is, an adjustment may be forthcoming?

Manu, hope your Christmas is great, how could it not be with those little children. Much joy for you and yours!

you cant have a pot with a tomatoe, a pepper plant, some herbs and lettuce in it......

i would move......

thank you for the kind wishes....two little kids and christmas are a blast....

Kathianne
12-24-2008, 03:58 PM
you cant have a pot with a tomatoe, a pepper plant, some herbs and lettuce in it......

i would move......

thank you for the kind wishes....two little kids and christmas are a blast....

No, like I said, they are nazis. I would move, if I could afford to, but not now. I could get on the board, but that sounds like more work. Besides, I really hate working with idiots.

emmett
12-24-2008, 06:02 PM
I was going to comment on this thread but all the greenhouse gas I have sucked in over the Christmas season radiating from all the festive decorations in my neighborhood has me feeling a bit slow and I can't think of anything to write.

manu1959
12-24-2008, 06:59 PM
No, like I said, they are nazis. I would move, if I could afford to, but not now. I could get on the board, but that sounds like more work. Besides, I really hate working with idiots.

working with idiots can be fun......you can get them to do lots of things.....

Yurt
12-25-2008, 12:55 AM

i planted 300,000 ganja plants to help suck up all the co2....wanna come down?

red states rule
12-25-2008, 09:52 AM
I was going to comment on this thread but all the greenhouse gas I have sucked in over the Christmas season radiating from all the festive decorations in my neighborhood has me feeling a bit slow and I can't think of anything to write.

and now look what the enviro wackos say about "light pollution"

Libs and the enviro wackos will never stop creating new and dangerous scernios

Read the pdf - "Is Light Pollution Killing Our Birds?"
Astronomers use the term ‘light pollution’ or LP (sometimes also called light at night or LAN) to describe the effect of artificial night lighting obscuring the stars. But there are other consequences too - the insidious “hidden” effect that it has on insects at the base of the food chain, on other animals and on people. All caused by artificial light at night enabling modern humans to live, work and play for 24 hours a day. It is important to get this message across about the harm being done in order to engage a wider audience for the concerns expressed in these and many other pages.

A warning on You Tube - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mFg5IzM2bWY

There are ~800 more You Tube pages about LP/LAN HERE.

Francis Parnell suggested - 'Since the "natural environment" after sunset is darkness, maybe we should call it what it really is - night pollution.' Is the 24 hour day killing off "Life On Earth"? It appears that National Geographic agree?

http://www.lightpollution.org.uk/

Noir
12-25-2008, 11:11 AM
and now look what the enviro wackos say about "light pollution"

Libs and the enviro wackos will never stop creating new and dangerous scernios

Read the pdf - "Is Light Pollution Killing Our Birds?"
Astronomers use the term ‘light pollution’ or LP (sometimes also called light at night or LAN) to describe the effect of artificial night lighting obscuring the stars. But there are other consequences too - the insidious “hidden” effect that it has on insects at the base of the food chain, on other animals and on people. All caused by artificial light at night enabling modern humans to live, work and play for 24 hours a day. It is important to get this message across about the harm being done in order to engage a wider audience for the concerns expressed in these and many other pages.

A warning on You Tube - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mFg5IzM2bWY

There are ~800 more You Tube pages about LP/LAN HERE.

Francis Parnell suggested - 'Since the "natural environment" after sunset is darkness, maybe we should call it what it really is - night pollution.' Is the 24 hour day killing off "Life On Earth"? It appears that National Geographic agree?

http://www.lightpollution.org.uk/

Do you have any credable evidence to suggest that man made light is not affecting wild animals? I though it would be pretty obvious that there was an effect, the only real dispute would be how costly such activity is.

manu1959
12-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Do you have any credable evidence to suggest that man made light is not affecting wild animals? I though it would be pretty obvious that there was an effect, the only real dispute would be how costly such activity is.

Do you have any credible evidence to suggest that man made light is affecting wild animals?

Kathianne
12-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Do you have any credible evidence to suggest that man made light is affecting wild animals?

Well for eons now, moths have been toasting themselves on lightbulbs. :laugh2:

How was Christmas morning? Share, I'm so jealous! :coffee:

Noir
12-25-2008, 11:55 AM

Nope, but rsr started this discussion, he could atleast start it with a source no?

As for my thoughts, I think it is undenyable that 24/7 light will have an effect, the questin is how much.

Nature is a language can't you read?

manu1959
12-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Nope, but rsr started this discussion, he could atleast start it with a source no?

As for my thoughts, I think it is undenyable that 24/7 light will have an effect, the questin is how much.

rsr posted an article and linked the source.....to claim he didn't is rather disingenuous........

24/7 light is a part of the fabric of nature now......to my knowledge no species has gone extinct due to artificial light pollution.....

Yurt
12-25-2008, 12:35 PM

my 300,000 ganja plants also suck up light :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
12-25-2008, 02:12 PM
i planted 300,000 ganja plants to help suck up all the co2....wanna come down?

I'm not sure that "come down", is the right direction after that amount of planting. :eek:

red states rule
12-25-2008, 03:05 PM

How could you not see the link I posted? I am also pointing out how with the left and envir wackos we are in for a never ending series of tales of doom and gloom catastrophes unless we alter our lifestyles to suite the left

Yurt
12-25-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm not sure that "come down", is the right direction after that amount of planting. :eek:

:lol:

speaking from "experience"....

Binky
12-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Bullpucky is harmful for the planet as well, and frankly, I'm tired of hearing it all. Bullpucky is the glue that holds the ears and eyes of politicians together.