PDA

View Full Version : How to Deal With Bad Grades

Hobbit
03-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Just remove the problem subjects from the tests. There, problem solved.

http://www.king5.com/education/stories/NW_032607WAB10gradewasl_seattleonlyLJ.1557997.html

loosecannon
03-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Just remove the problem subjects from the tests. There, problem solved.

http://www.king5.com/education/stories/NW_032607WAB10gradewasl_seattleonlyLJ.1557997.html

Hobbit, you must be a seattleite.

I tutor a 7th grade student in math. He is expected to be able to master math that was not taught until the 9th grade when i went to school.

If he doesn't pass the test he gets held back.

This standard IS too high. Not every student is gonna excell at math. Yet every student gets held to the same standard.

And among the 40 plus yo on this board half of you would have failed by this same measure.

5stringJeff
03-27-2007, 09:54 AM
The WASL is a joke and a waste of money. It costs something like $22 per test to administer and grade the WASL, whereas other standardized tests (like the one used in Iowa) cost around $2.

I'm fine with the concept of standardized tests, but the WASL is a failure.

Hobbit
03-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Hobbit, you must be a seattleite.

I tutor a 7th grade student in math. He is expected to be able to master math that was not taught until the 9th grade when i went to school.

If he doesn't pass the test he gets held back.

This standard IS too high. Not every student is gonna excell at math. Yet every student gets held to the same standard.

And among the 40 plus yo on this board half of you would have failed by this same measure.

Nope, I just check out Fark every day, and a lot of Farkish news comes from Seattle, because the city is full of moonbats.

If the problem really is that it's too hard, dumb it down, but removing those sections entirely are just begging to have graduating students be mathematically illiterate. Personally, I don't think everybody needs to be held to the same standard, anyway. Those of above-average intelligence should be segregated so that they can be pushed to their limits, rather than being able to 'coast' through grade school without trying.