PDA

View Full Version : Researching a business

Mr. P
03-27-2007, 09:53 AM
I am researching the Laser carving engraving business. It’s a very broad area with many opportunities. The cost of equipment is high, $10k and up so this is serious research.

Just wondering if any of you have ever had any experience or know someone in the business. Most seem to go the trophy shop route; I am looking at special niche markets. One would be Engraved window glass for architects and designers…hint Manu, Glock.

All opinions and information appreciated.

Any CAD program information would also be helpful. I am running across
CorelDRAW often but hear it’s difficult to master.

Thanks

manu1959
03-27-2007, 09:57 AM
I am researching the Laser carving engraving business. It’s very broad area with many opportunities. The cost of equipment is high $10k and up so this is serious research.

Just wondering if any of you have ever had any experience or know someone in the business. Most seem to go the trophy shop route; I am looking at special niche markets. One would be Engraved window glass for architects and designers…hint Manu, Glock.

All opinions and information appreciated.

Any CAD program information would also be helpful. I am running across
CorelDRAW often but hear it’s difficult to master.

Thanks

heard of it but have never used any of the products.....

jackass
03-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Try AutoCAD. I have an older copy around here is you want it. Im sure Jim could free up some space so I could copy it somewhere for you.

Mr. P
03-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Try AutoCAD. I have an older copy around here is you want it. Im sure Jim could free up some space so I could copy it somewhere for you.

Hey Thanks, JA!

If I move forward on this I may take you up on that, I’ve read AutoCAD is a very popular program.

Did you find it easy to use, generally?

glockmail
03-27-2007, 11:34 AM
I've seen those ads in the back of magazines myself, if that's what you're thinking of buying.

It seems to me that you're really unsure of what your market will be, so try this: Get a list of previous purchasers, find one that you can work with, and resell his products to your local market. That will get you started on the CAD program that it uses, and after a while you'll be able to determine if it will be profitable to manufacture the stuff yourself. You'll also gain insight into different machines and their capabilities, plus the availability and worth of used equipment.

You'll have to find out what type of CAD program the machine uses. I have zero experience with CAD-CAM, as my final "product" is paper drawings. In my industry (civil engineering) AutoCAD is the de-facto standard. Over the years I've used 3 different CAD programs of various generations, starting with MacCAD, then VectorWorks (both Mac-based). When I made the big switch to the more professional AutoCad along with the prerequisite Windoze it was one of the most difficult learning experiences of my life. Most of that was due to Windoze but AutoCad is anything but intuitive.

If you have specific AutoCad questions I can probably help you a lot.

I've seen those ads in the back of magazines myself, if that's what you're thinking of buying.

It seems to me that you're really unsure of what your market will be, so try this: Get a list of previous purchasers, find one that you can work with, and resell his products to your local market. That will get you started on the CAD program that it uses, and after a while you'll be able to determine if it will be profitable to manufacture the stuff yourself. You'll also gain insight into different machines and their capabilities.

You'll have to find out what type of CAD program the machine uses. I have zero experience with CAD-CAM, as my final "product" is paper drawings. In my industry (civil engineering) AutoCAD is the de-facto standard. Over the years I've used 3 different CAD programs of various generations, starting with MacCAD, thenVectorWorks (both Mac-based). When I made the big switch to the more professional AutoCad along with the prerequisite Windoze it was one of the most difficult learning experiences of my life. Most of that was due to Windoze but AutoCad is anything but intuitive.

manu1959
03-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Hey Thanks, JA!

If I move forward on this I may take you up on that, I’ve read AutoCAD is a very popular program.

autocad is a bitch to use...you may want to look into micro station...most of the big retailers use micro station....and their may be a market to them for signage and displays and decorative wall panels etc....

glockmail
03-27-2007, 11:54 AM
autocad is a bitch to use...you may want to look into micro station...most of the big retailers use micro station....and their may be a market to them for signage and displays and decorative wall panels etc.... Check into the cost of that bad boy. It's used in my field mainly for big players with government contracts. In fact, most State DOTs require the consultant use it.

Another thing about AutoCad: most use LT ("light") which has reduced features, and costs $700 or so. The "full" version costs about $3000. I dunno id Microstaion has a similar "entry" product. If you buy LT, spend a little more and buy it from a dealer, and get him to agree to upgrade you to the full version later for only the cost difference. The full version is probably compatible with a second software package to actually run the machine (the CAM portion). Again, I'm not positive about any of this as I use LT only and have zero experience with CAM.

The other thing is that I use a second product for survey related work that uses an autoCad "engine". That eliminates the need for me to buy the "full" version of autocad to run a survey module. I suspect that CAM programs may be similar.

manu1959
03-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Check into the cost of that bad boy. It's used in my field mainly for big players with government contracts. In fact, most State DOTs require the consultant use it.

Another thing about AutoCad: most use LT ("light") which has reduced features, and costs $700 or so. The "full" version costs about $3000. I dunno id Microstaion has a similar "entry" product. If you buy LT, spend a little more and buy it from a dealer, and get him to agree to upgrade you to the full version later for only the cost difference. The full version is probably compatible with a second software package to actually run the machine (the CAM portion). Again, I'm not positive about any of this as I use LT only and have zero experience with CAM.

The other thing is that I use a second product for survey related work that uses an autoCad "engine". That eliminates the need for me to buy the "full" version of autocad to run a survey module. I suspect that CAM programs may be similar.

we are a rather large company and several of our larger retail clients dictate the software....and we have both micro station and autocad....full versions for each of the 200 people...so yes it is expensive but micro station is far better in my opinion ....

glockmail
03-27-2007, 01:19 PM
we are a rather large company and several of our larger retail clients dictate the software....and we have both micro station and autocad....full versions for each of the 200 people...so yes it is expensive but micro station is far better in my opinion .... I haven't used MicroStation so I'll have to defer to you. I imagine you get fairly good group discounts on the software. Being a small shop they soak me for all I'm worth.

jackass
03-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Hey Thanks, JA!

Actually I never used it. I forget where I got it, but I gave it to my dad,( who wasnt very computer illiterate) and I do believe he figured it out.

Mr. P
03-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the input so far guys.