PDA

View Full Version : One Hundred Twelve

Yurt
12-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Oldest man in the US dies in Sacramento at 112

SAN FRANCISCO – George Francis, the nation's oldest man, who lived through both world wars, man's first walk on the moon and the election of the first black president, has died. He was 112.

Francis died Saturday of congestive heart failure at a nursing home in Sacramento, his son, Anthony Francis, said Sunday.

"He lived four years in the 19th century, 100 years in the 20th century, and 8 years in the 21st century. We call him the man of three centuries," said the younger Francis, 81.

George Francis quit school after the sixth grade, became an amateur boxer as a young man and later worked as a chauffeur, an auto mechanic and a barber.

He and his wife, Josephine Johnson Francis, had a son and three daughters. Josephine Francis died of cancer in 1964.

Besides his four children, Francis is survived by 18 grandchildren, 33 great-grandchildren and 16 great-great grandchildren

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081229/ap_on_re_us/obit_oldest_american_man;_ylt=AhnRNAOOCxkNKpj.31QH 1dIDW7oF

WOW

Yurt
12-29-2008, 08:13 PM
i've stated previously that i don't know if i want kids....yet....reading this story is amazing. that guy is essentially responsible for approx. 70 earth population...that is a bit mind boggeling and gives me pause