PDA

View Full Version : Pork Update

Hobbit
03-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Looks like the 'emergency' funding bill also contains pork that will fund both parties' national conventions. Will it ever end?

http://www.examiner.com/a-640957~Senate__emergency__war_bill_has_almost__20_ billion_in_domestic_spending_tacked_onto_it.html

loosecannon
03-27-2007, 12:34 PM
so your definition of pork is

$14 billion for Hurricane Katrina aid and more than $4 billion for “emergency farm relief.”

Kathianne
03-27-2007, 12:39 PM

Yeah, when the definitions of the aid is along these lines:

...The $100 million for the political party conventions — $50 million for the Democratic convention in Denver and $50 million for the Republican convention in St. Paul, Minn. — is included in a section described as “Katrina recovery, veterans’ care and for other purposes.”

The Senate Appropriations Committee noted that the committee provided roughly $50 million to help defray the costs of policing the 2004 conventions. A senate staffer pointed out, however, that the 2004 funding earned approval through the normal appropriations process rather than the less-stringent “emergency” process permitted for the current bill.

The new bill also includes $13 million for “ewe replacement and retention,” $24 million for sugar beets growers and $95 million for dairy producers.

Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said the bill contains “enough in each of the four food groups for a balanced meal.”

And it includes $3.5 million for the Capitol’s guided–tour program and $20 million for, in part, insect infestation control in Nevada, thanks to Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Among the other beneficiaries of the Senate “emergency” war bill is the tree assistance program, including, specifically, Christmas trees.

“This bill is both literally and figuratively a Christmas tree,” said one Senate staffer who has studied the bill.

loosecannon
03-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Well I am no fan of pork either of the bridge to nowhere republican variety (gazillions) to the newly majoritied dem variety (not one penny yet).

But seriously there is not enough info on the thread yet to make any judgements at all about any of it save one item.

Members of Congress do get security courtesy of the federal government, so the $50 million to secure the conventions doesn't surprise me.

But after stealing the nation blind for 6 years I hope you are not one of those republican apologists who is now gonna go apeshit if the dems act in kind to a more modest degree.

Kathianne
03-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Well I am no fan of pork either of the bridge to nowhere republican variety (gazillions) to the newly majoritied dem variety (not one penny yet).

But seriously there is not enough info on the thread yet to make any judgements at all about any of it save one item.

Members of Congress do get security courtesy of the federal government, so the $50 million to secure the conventions doesn't surprise me.

But after stealing the nation blind for 6 years I hope you are not one of those republican apologists who is now gonna go apeshit if the dems act in kind to a more modest degree.
when the security is thrown into Katrina aid, excuse me? As for what kind of apologist ;) I am, I hope you are not going to be one of those hypocrits that slam GOP spending and are now going to use moral equivalency as an answer to democratic wrongs?

Hobbit
03-27-2007, 01:17 PM

After the kind of money we've already dumped into Katrina 'relief' only to see it pissed away, yeah, that's most definitely pork. The second one is just a euphamism for crop subsidies, which I'm also against.

Even if you believe in these programs, there's no way you can justify putting them into a war spending bill.

5stringJeff
03-27-2007, 01:30 PM

$14 billion for Hurricane Katrina aid and more than $4 billion for “emergency farm relief.”

Two years after the fact of Hurricane Katrina, yes.

And "emergency" farm relief is a sham. Farmers get more handouts and subsidies than almost anyone else in America.

loosecannon
03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
After the kind of money we've already dumped into Katrina 'relief' only to see it pissed away, yeah, that's most definitely pork. The second one is just a euphamism for crop subsidies, which I'm also against.

Even if you believe in these programs, there's no way you can justify putting them into a war spending bill.

Why not include them in a supplemental spending bill. It isn't a war spending bill.

And I have as many gripes as you do about the way money for Katrina has been mis spent, take that up with Bush.

I do know that the aid that was needed still hasn't met the probs.

I don't pretend to know the specs, but none of ya'll know the specs of any of these items.

Generic rebuff of ag subsidies doesn't mean you have clue one about this specific allocation.

Lets hear some outrage over the waste of money that is the Iraq war if you want me to take any of ya'll seriously.

5stringJeff
03-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Why not include them in a supplemental spending bill. It isn't a war spending bill.

And I have as many gripes as you do about the way money for Katrina has been mis spent, take that up with Bush.

I don't pretend to know the specs, but none of ya'll know the specs of any of these items.

Generic rebuff of ag subsidies doesn't mean you have clue one about this specific allocation.

Lets hear some outrage over the waste of money that is the Iraq war if you want me to take any of ya'll seriously.

I think you'll find a disproportionate number of budget hawks around here, both on the war and other pork. However, I'd like to address ag subsidies: the details of the subsidies are not important. The basic principle is that agricultural subsidies are little more than wealth redistribution schemes, and are therefore bad for a free market. And, before you ask, I am also against subsidies, industry-specific tax breaks, tariffs, and other tax-code benefits for corporations.

loosecannon
03-27-2007, 10:15 PM
I think you'll find a disproportionate number of budget hawks around here, both on the war and other pork. However, I'd like to address ag subsidies: the details of the subsidies are not important. The basic principle is that agricultural subsidies are little more than wealth redistribution schemes, and are therefore bad for a free market. And, before you ask, I am also against subsidies, industry-specific tax breaks, tariffs, and other tax-code benefits for corporations.

I oppose ag subsidies in the general sense. But I know nothing about these specific subsidies.

I don't tend to think of agricorps when I think subsidies either altho I suppose they are the big winners.

I still think about family farms being lost to harsh competition and bad farming cycles. All the farmers I have ever known were family farmers.

Hugh Lincoln
03-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Man. You gotta love bipartisanship.

CockySOB
03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Man. You gotta love bipartisanship.

You mean the agreement between Democrats and Republicans to continue fleecing the public at-large via taxes and then spending it in a willy-nilly fashion? Yeah, it's about the only thing Democrat and Republican politicians agree to work together on.

Gaffer
03-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Something not mentioned here was the 3.5 million that was included in the bill for raises for the congress. Oops, did they actually put that in the military spending bill? They sure did. They are willing to cut funding to the troops while raising their pay at the same time. This is the shits we have for representatives.

5stringJeff
03-28-2007, 10:24 PM
WTF. I had not seen that, but it sucks.

I would love to see Congress skip their pay raises one year.

CockySOB
03-28-2007, 10:42 PM
WTF. I had not seen that, but it sucks.

I would love to see Congress skip their pay raises one year.

They need to skip the raise for about 10 straight years, if not actually reduce their salaries to a more realistic level.

TheStripey1
03-29-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:

apparently so... bush promised aid to the victims of hurricane katrina but... since they weren't his base (you know, the have mores), he reneged on it and neglected to provide them any real money...

but it just goes to show bush... he can't build shit on hot air no matter how hard he tries.

TheStripey1
03-29-2007, 06:10 PM
...The $100 million for the political party conventions — $50 million for the Democratic convention in Denver and $50 million for the Republican convention in St. Paul, Minn. — is included in a section described as “Katrina recovery, veterans’ care and for other purposes.”

The Senate Appropriations Committee noted that the committee provided roughly $50 million to help defray the costs of policing the 2004 conventions. A senate staffer pointed out, however, that the 2004 funding earned approval through the normal appropriations process rather than the less-stringent “emergency” process permitted for the current bill.

The new bill also includes $13 million for “ewe replacement and retention,” $24 million for sugar beets growers and $95 million for dairy producers.

Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said the bill contains “enough in each of the four food groups for a balanced meal.”

And it includes $3.5 million for the Capitol’s guided–tour program and $20 million for, in part, insect infestation control in Nevada, thanks to Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Among the other beneficiaries of the Senate “emergency” war bill is the tree assistance program, including, specifically, Christmas trees.

“This bill is both literally and figuratively a Christmas tree,” said one Senate staffer who has studied the bill.

Are you against americans who have been the victims of natural disasters getting aid? Why? Don't you think americans deserve as much help getting their lives back together as the iraqis?

and one more thing... how much do the iraqis pay in american taxes?

TheStripey1
03-29-2007, 06:11 PM

pork is pork... let's cut it all off... annnnnnnnnnnd then

we can have a BBQ!!!!

TheStripey1
03-29-2007, 06:13 PM
when the security is thrown into Katrina aid, excuse me? As for what kind of apologist ;) I am, I hope you are not going to be one of those hypocrits that slam GOP spending and are now going to use moral equivalency as an answer to democratic wrongs?

bush said he was going to aid the victims of katrina... did you forget that? it was on TV... when all of Nawlins was dark, he was in full light of day, promising he'd help...

well?

when?

:dance:

TheStripey1
03-29-2007, 06:15 PM

whats the matter hobbit? Don't you eat vegetables?

Why are all of you people so against americans getting aid? If you're so gung ho on Iraqis getting the monetary aid why don't you move there and help them out...

TheStripey1
03-29-2007, 06:16 PM

that ain't gonna happen here, loose... these people love the war...

TheStripey1
03-29-2007, 06:19 PM
:clap:
You mean the agreement between Democrats and Republicans to continue fleecing the public at-large via taxes and then spending it in a willy-nilly fashion? Yeah, it's about the only thing Democrat and Republican politicians agree to work together on.:clap:

I have to admit to laffing out loud reading this CSOB... good one...

TheStripey1
03-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Something not mentioned here was the 3.5 million that was included in the bill for raises for the congress. Oops, did they actually put that in the military spending bill? They sure did. They are willing to cut funding to the troops while raising their pay at the same time. This is the shits we have for representatives.

How are they cutting funding to the troops, gaff? Their money's in the bill too... and if you have a problem with your elected officials, by all means, why don't YOU run for office... or... help someone who is... you have 18 months to work on it...

Gaffer
03-29-2007, 06:53 PM
How are they cutting funding to the troops, gaff? Their money's in the bill too... and if you have a problem with your elected officials, by all means, why don't YOU run for office... or... help someone who is... you have 18 months to work on it...

hmmmm Gaffer for President. I don't think you would like me as president. The eu would hate me as would ALL the libs. And ALL the muslims.

As for nawlins, they don't need any more money thrown their way until the dem leaders there stop pocketing it and get off their butts and do something. Has anyone checked congressman jeffersons freezer lately? Money and aid have poured into that state for two years and NOTHING has been done. Ms and Al got slammed too. They don't seem to have a problem rebuilding.

TheStripey1
03-29-2007, 07:04 PM
hmmmm Gaffer for President. I don't think you would like me as president. The eu would hate me as would ALL the libs. And ALL the muslims.

As for nawlins, they don't need any more money thrown their way until the dem leaders there stop pocketing it and get off their butts and do something. Has anyone checked congressman jeffersons freezer lately? Money and aid have poured into that state for two years and NOTHING has been done. Ms and Al got slammed too. They don't seem to have a problem rebuilding.

laffs... probably not... but you forget... I'm not a lib... and I'm not a democrat... so you can prosecute jefferson any time you get the urrrrrrrrrge... go ahead... no fur off my muzzle...

I don't like any politician that is corrupt... but how about you? Do you like corrupt politicians when they are in your own party?

Gaffer
03-29-2007, 08:45 PM
laffs... probably not... but you forget... I'm not a lib... and I'm not a democrat... so you can prosecute jefferson any time you get the urrrrrrrrrge... go ahead... no fur off my muzzle...

I don't like any politician that is corrupt... but how about you? Do you like corrupt politicians when they are in your own party?

Well I think your a fullblown liberal. And I don't believe you were ever a republican.

I think 90% of the politicans are corrupt. Since I'm an independent conservative I have no party. I dislike a lot of republicans and I dispise all the liberals. I'm not a christian either so I don't have the guilt trip when I say I hate somebody.