PDA

View Full Version : Detroit TV station busts UAW workers spending hours at the bar instead of at work

red states rule
12-31-2008, 10:18 AM
No wonder the Big Three are in trouble.

Watch the video, it is something else to watch

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/10235271/index.html

Binky
12-31-2008, 12:35 PM
I look at is a being pretty sad, that so many individuals make the choice to spend their time drinking. There surely must be something very interesting at the bottom of the bottle or glass to enrapture so many.

Yurt
12-31-2008, 12:43 PM
i guess those rounds are on us....

Nukeman
12-31-2008, 06:55 PM
And these are the type of guys the Union will defend as "good hard working men". Pathetic.....

Little-Acorn
12-31-2008, 07:24 PM
If I did that, I'd be out the door with a pink slip, like today.

Do union rules keep these guys from getting fired?

Psychoblues
01-01-2009, 01:35 AM
I have attended and participated in hundreds if not thousands of corporate luncheons and functions where alcohol and all anybody wanted of it was the order of the day. Many of these activities required a return to the workplace and to productive or at least the appearance of credible decision making.

The "real" workers were not invited and would have certainly been fired for even mentioning it. I wonder why nobody but me has ever noticed any of that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Another mystery of the cyberspace called DP?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

manu1959
01-01-2009, 02:43 AM
I have attended and participated in hundreds if not thousands of corporate luncheons and functions where alcohol and all anybody wanted of it was the order of the day. Many of these activities required a return to the workplace and to productive or at least the appearance of credible decision making.

The "real" workers were not invited and would have certainly been fired for even mentioning it. I wonder why nobody but me has ever noticed any of that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

were you paid to attend lunch and drink....

Psychoblues
01-01-2009, 02:49 AM
I thought that was a given and already answered in the post above?!?!??!?!???!?!?!??!

were you paid to attend lunch and drink....

Yes I was and continued to be paid until I left the employment of said corporate entities. So many here fail to recognise what an important part of the corporate world alcohol is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They seem to prefer badmouthing the workers and deitizing the idiots that have all those double standards. It's a freaking joke how some of these self defeatists operate and think!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

manu1959
01-01-2009, 03:00 AM
I thought that was a given and already answered in the post above?!?!??!?!???!?!?!??!
Yes I was and continued to be paid until I left the employment of said corporate entities. So many here fail to recognise what an important part of the corporate world alcohol is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They seem to prefer badmouthing the workers and deitizing the idiots that have all those double standards. It's a freaking joke how some of these self defeatists operate and think!!!!!!!!!!
Psychoblues

interesting....you show up at my office loaded after lunch and we fire you on the spot.....

Psychoblues
01-01-2009, 03:06 AM
I don't recall ever having worked for you or anyone like you, m'59.

interesting....you show up at my office loaded after lunch and we fire you on the spot.....

But, my resume' is extensive and impressive and I have NEVER been fired or asked to resign or even reprimanded because I went boozing and barring with the bosses whether on company time or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I've done a lot of it, don't you know?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Psychoblues

PostmodernProphet
01-01-2009, 08:36 AM
what's amazing is that a Detroit station filmed this.....a year ago they would never had admitted it was going on....

red states rule
01-03-2009, 07:27 AM

Psychoblues

You are missing or ignoring the point PB. These workers are drinking on the clock. They are to be at their jobs working - not sitting in a bar

This is part of the problem the auto companies are having. They are paying wages for no work and the wages are 30% higher then their competition

Noir
01-03-2009, 07:51 AM
I am not able to view the video as I'm on my phone, however, from what I can gather it seems pretty horrid. People on car manufacturing lines are drinking during their lunch? Surly there are health and safety guidelines fir the workplace which state that you can not be drunk in he workplace?

PostmodernProphet
01-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I am not able to view the video as I'm on my phone, however, from what I can gather it seems pretty horrid. People on car manufacturing lines are drinking during their lunch? Surly there are health and safety guidelines fir the workplace which state that you can not be drunk in he workplace?

more than just drinking during lunch break....you see, the way it works in the unions is there is a quota on how much they have to accomplish during the day....so if they start at 6am and by 10am they have filled their quota then work stops.....used to be they would sit in the break room and play cards for four hours, but it seems that things have loosened up and instead they go off premises and sit in bars and drink for four hours.....

it has become an issue finally because since Ford is going broke paying people eight hours pay for four hours work and seeking federal assistance......everybody in Detroit has known this was going on for thirty years, but now, the news seems willing to out it......

Noir
01-03-2009, 08:46 AM
more than just drinking during lunch break....you see, the way it works in the unions is there is a quota on how much they have to accomplish during the day....so if they start at 6am and by 10am they have filled their quota then work stops.....used to be they would sit in the break room and play cards for four hours, but it seems that things have loosened up and instead they go off premises and sit in bars and drink for four hours.....

it has become an issue finally because since Ford is going broke paying people eight hours pay for four hours work and seeking federal assistance......everybody in Detroit has known this was going on for thirty years, but now, the news seems willing to out it......

How odd, these people obviosly had no respect for their job and only respected the money they got from it. As far as I'm concerened if I'm working for a company then the harder I work, the better for the company, the better for me. These people shouldn't be surprised if they lose their job, and if they complain, then they are only complaning about how their life will never again be as easy as it was.

red states rule
01-03-2009, 08:58 AM
How odd, these people obviosly had no respect for their job and only respected the money they got from it. As far as I'm concerened if I'm working for a company then the harder I work, the better for the company, the better for me. These people shouldn't be surprised if they lose their job, and if they complain, then they are only complaning about how their life will never again be as easy as it was.

Noir, they are members of the UAW

Why on Earth would they worried about losing their jobs?

Noir
01-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Noir, they are members of the UAW

Why on Earth would they worried about losing their jobs?

The company's will fold, I think that has been a reality for quite a while.

red states rule
01-03-2009, 09:16 AM
The company's will fold, I think that has been a reality for quite a while.

Then they can come back without the unions, and be competitive

Noir
01-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Then they can come back without the unions, and be competitive

You think there will be a rebirth of the auto industry in america? Methinks not but it will be interesting too see, though it will be hard for the work ethic to change at a grass roots level if this is what they have been use ta

red states rule
01-03-2009, 09:38 AM
You think there will be a rebirth of the auto industry in america? Methinks not but it will be interesting too see, though it will be hard for the work ethic to change at a grass roots level if this is what they have been use ta

If the comapnies can get rid of the blood sucking unions they have a good chance

Noir, for some reason this thread has not replied to - the unions are in better shape then the auto companies

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=20528

Noir
01-03-2009, 10:17 AM
If the comapnies can get rid of the blood sucking unions they have a good chance

Noir, for some reason this thread has not replied to - the unions are in better shape then the auto companies

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=20528

Indeed how odd, it all seems to be arse-about-face, like I'm a defender of unions, and last year our teaching union did some very good work on behalf of the teachers, but these American unions just seem weird.

5stringJeff
01-03-2009, 10:30 AM
There has already been a rebirth of the auto industry in America. It just happens to be with non-Detroit automakers, manufacturing cars in right-to-work states, where the UAW can't suck the lifeblood out of the company.

red states rule
01-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Indeed how odd, it all seems to be arse-about-face, like I'm a defender of unions, and last year our teaching union did some very good work on behalf of the teachers, but these American unions just seem weird.

The unions have put many companies out of business, yet are protected by the Dems because of the huge political contributions they give them.

That money comes from the workers of course

PostmodernProphet
01-03-2009, 02:16 PM
/shrugs.....if a profit can be made doing something somewhere else, a profit can be made doing it here......

PostmodernProphet
01-03-2009, 02:17 PM

every union looks good when it is doing something for you.....in reality, what they do is bad for everyone else.....