PDA

View Full Version : I need computer help!

dan
01-01-2009, 09:46 PM
I got a new desktop for Christmas and I can't get the internet to work on it. It worked fine at my parents' place, but now that I've gotten it back to my apartment, it won't work. It's a wireless USB network adaptor going into a router, same setup as at my parents' place. I thought maybe it had something to do with the desktop having Vista, so I plugged the USB adaptor into my laptop and it didn't work there, either. On both computers, it'll connect and it reads the network fine, but it says I have 'limited connectivity'. It's like there's something blocking that adaptor from recieving information or something.

I've already tried resetting my modem and router, multiple times, and I tried installing the drivers for the adaptor on the desktop (it told me the drivers were already up-to-date, but I installed them anyway, and it still didn't make a difference). Anybody got some info for this problem? Thanks in advance.

Mr. P
01-02-2009, 12:07 AM
I got a new desktop for Christmas and I can't get the internet to work on it. It worked fine at my parents' place, but now that I've gotten it back to my apartment, it won't work. It's a wireless USB network adaptor going into a router, same setup as at my parents' place. I thought maybe it had something to do with the desktop having Vista, so I plugged the USB adaptor into my laptop and it didn't work there, either. On both computers, it'll connect and it reads the network fine, but it says I have 'limited connectivity'. It's like there's something blocking that adaptor from recieving information or something.

I've already tried resetting my modem and router, multiple times, and I tried installing the drivers for the adaptor on the desktop (it told me the drivers were already up-to-date, but I installed them anyway, and it still didn't make a difference). Anybody got some info for this problem? Thanks in advance.

Call India.

J/k I'll get back to you on this.

crin63
01-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Did you try changing the IP address in the router setup? Try changing the last number.

manu1959
01-02-2009, 12:55 AM
same wireless router at your place and your parents place?

moon
01-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Possible fix;

http://ask-leo.com/what_is_limited_connectivity_and_how_do_i_fix_it.h tml

PostmodernProphet
01-02-2009, 09:14 AM
never mind...my suggestion doesn't make sense since I reread your post and saw you still have the same router....

jimnyc
01-02-2009, 09:16 AM
It's hard to say for sure without looking at it, but try right clicking on the network icon on your taskbar and tell it "repair". It's possible it still has the old IP address and needs to be released and renewed with the router at your house to get a new IP.

Anytime you move a networked device from one network to another, it's best to reset via power or manually as I described for the devices to work on the new network.

You know my number, Dan, call me if you can't get it figured out.

dan
01-02-2009, 10:39 AM
same wireless router at your place and your parents place?

Well, they're both Netgear routers, and they look the same, but I didn't take the time to make sure they were the same model. I'll look into that.

It's hard to say for sure without looking at it, but try right clicking on the network icon on your taskbar and tell it "repair". It's possible it still has the old IP address and needs to be released and renewed with the router at your house to get a new IP.

Anytime you move a networked device from one network to another, it's best to reset via power or manually as I described for the devices to work on the new network.

You know my number, Dan, call me if you can't get it figured out.

I tried resetting my IP address and that didn't seem to help. I'll try manually changing it, though, and see if that helps. I'll give you a call if I need it, worse comes to worst I think Dad can probably run down here this weekend or something and take a look at it.

EDIT: Thanks for the help, everyone! How rude of me to not say that!

manu1959
01-02-2009, 01:44 PM
what jim said..............

Abbey Marie
01-02-2009, 02:32 PM
From my husband: The Netgear router at your house may have security settings (such as WEP encryption) that your USB adaptor doesn't have matching settings for. He suggests that you log into your router and look at the security settings. If you are not sure that the settings are correct, try putting new settings in from scratch on both the router and the USB adaptor.

dan
01-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the help, Abbey. I'll try that, too!

namvet
01-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Call India.

J/k I'll get back to you on this.

Call India

I did. and all I got was "repeat please, repeat please" huh ?????:coffee:

Mr. P
01-04-2009, 10:58 AM
I did. and all I got was "repeat please, repeat please" huh ?????:coffee:

I had a guy get so frustrated I was asking him to repeat because I couldn't understand him he hung-up on me. I did fix the problem myself a few hrs later.

dan
01-04-2009, 02:22 PM
We couldn't get it working even with another adaptor, so I just said screw it and bought a ethernet cable. Looks kinda bad with a wire running across the room, but it works!

Classact
01-04-2009, 03:08 PM
We couldn't get it working even with another adaptor, so I just said screw it and bought a ethernet cable. Looks kinda bad with a wire running across the room, but it works!My wife had the same problem with a wireless laptop... the router went out and she bought a new one and installed the new disk that came with it but it just wouldn't work. Later the damned thing bombed after she went to wiring it up direct and she had to reload the entire system and then it worked just fine.