PDA

View Full Version : War Vet, 50, Stunned By New Deployment

Psychoblues
01-05-2009, 02:52 AM
For some, it never ends.

Source: KCRA

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. -- A veteran who has been out of the military for 15 years and recently received his AARP card was stunned when he received notice he will be deployed to Iraq.

The last time Paul Bandel, 50, saw combat was in the early 1990s during the Gulf War.

"(I was) kind of shocked, not understanding what I was getting into," said Bandel, who lives in the Nashville, Tenn., area.

In 1993, Bandel took the option of leaving the Army without retirement and never thought he would be called back to action.

"Here he's 50 years old, getting his AARP card, and here he's being redeployed with all these 18-year-olds," said Paul's wife, Linda Bandel.

"I can understand, say, 'Here, we have this assignment for you stateside. Go do your training,'" said Paul Bandel. "But, 'Hey, here's a gun, go back to the desert.'"

Involuntary recall allows the military, regardless of age or how long someone has been out of service, to order vets back into active duty.

"Anger's not the word. I was more concerned about the financial impact it's going to do. My pay's probably cut in half," said Paul Bandel.

"Right now, I'm just in disbelief because it's like the disbelief that this could be happening 15 years after being out of the military. It's like a dream or a nightmare," said Linda Bandel.

The veteran is dusting off his old uniforms and torn between his duty to his country and obligations as a grandfather.

"I certainly never thought I'd be going back there at this point in my life," said Paul Bandel.

The last missile system the veteran was trained to operate is no longer used by the military.

Calls to the Army and the Pentagon about how many men and women in their 50s are being called back to duty were not returned Wednesday.

Paul Bandel will be deployed overseas until 2010. His wife plans to move in with her elderly parents until his return.

More: http://www.kcra.com/family/18398827/detail.html

Just incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
01-05-2009, 05:24 AM
American War Veterans trumped by Zionists?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!? I would have never believed it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haven't the moderators made it plain that the Israeli/Palestinian problem is best discussed in the International Politics Forum, moondog?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I gotta hand it to you, cowgirl. You are a hard learner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No sweat!!!!!!!!!!! It comes honest on this board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really,,,,,,,,I know for sure!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
01-05-2009, 05:42 AM
I don't like answering my own threads but moondog is insisting on covering up the dilemma of American Veterans with his scumdog bullshit in paranoia.

If he continues to post his bullshit in this forum I will certainly continue my advocacy for American Veterans.

Psychoblues

bullypulpit
01-05-2009, 05:50 AM
Just shows how truly far off the tracks the Bush administration policy in Iraq really is, especially given that the real enemy was never there.

Psychoblues
01-05-2009, 06:10 AM
And that is the God's honest truth, bp.

Just shows how truly far off the tracks the Bush administration policy in Iraq really is, especially given that the real enemy was never there.

Thanks for kicking it back above the small arms fire of the most recent idiot!!!!!!!!

Can I get you some Holy Water?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!!?

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
01-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Can we not discuss the war on terrorism and the effect it might have on our already tired and weary veterans of previous wars now being called up to fight the present ones without the interferences of the bloodlust anti-Zionists?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

5stringJeff
01-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I'd have to respectfully decline any such request.

DragonStryk72
01-08-2009, 02:29 AM
See, and people wonder why troop levels fall. We threw troops into a bullshit war, and now, theyve gotten to the point where they're calling up guys who've done their time, who have done their fair share, and should be able to rest.

Psychoblues
01-10-2009, 09:14 AM
It goes a lot deeper than that, DS'72 but your observation is dead on!!!!!!!!!

See, and people wonder why troop levels fall. We threw troops into a bullshit war, and now, theyve gotten to the point where they're calling up guys who've done their time, who have done their fair share, and should be able to rest.

Could I offer you a Sasparilly?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

SeeingStarz
01-19-2009, 03:02 PM

I totally agree. Make a military career more attractive in terms of compensation and defense spending, put a cap on the age at which you can be called back (as do many other countries) and let these vets enjoy civilian life if they so desire.

Mr. P
01-19-2009, 04:29 PM
For some, it never ends.

Source: KCRA

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. -- A veteran who has been out of the military for 15 years and recently received his AARP card was stunned when he received notice he will be deployed to Iraq.

The last time Paul Bandel, 50, saw combat was in the early 1990s during the Gulf War.

"(I was) kind of shocked, not understanding what I was getting into," said Bandel, who lives in the Nashville, Tenn., area.

In 1993, Bandel took the option of leaving the Army without retirement and never thought he would be called back to action.

"Here he's 50 years old, getting his AARP card, and here he's being redeployed with all these 18-year-olds," said Paul's wife, Linda Bandel.

"I can understand, say, 'Here, we have this assignment for you stateside. Go do your training,'" said Paul Bandel. "But, 'Hey, here's a gun, go back to the desert.'"

Involuntary recall allows the military, regardless of age or how long someone has been out of service, to order vets back into active duty.

"Anger's not the word. I was more concerned about the financial impact it's going to do. My pay's probably cut in half," said Paul Bandel.

"Right now, I'm just in disbelief because it's like the disbelief that this could be happening 15 years after being out of the military. It's like a dream or a nightmare," said Linda Bandel.

The veteran is dusting off his old uniforms and torn between his duty to his country and obligations as a grandfather.

"I certainly never thought I'd be going back there at this point in my life," said Paul Bandel.

The last missile system the veteran was trained to operate is no longer used by the military.

Calls to the Army and the Pentagon about how many men and women in their 50s are being called back to duty were not returned Wednesday.

Paul Bandel will be deployed overseas until 2010. His wife plans to move in with her elderly parents until his return.

More: http://www.kcra.com/family/18398827/detail.html

Just incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

I'm sure there is more to the story than published. Was this guy IRR or in the guard? Ya just don't get scooped up after a 15 yr separation for deployment.

Kathianne
01-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm sure there is more to the story than published. Was this guy IRR or in the guard? Ya just don't get scooped up after a 15 yr separation for deployment.

My guess is that by 'staying active' his pension would be higher? Can you explain if I'm right or wrong?

Mr. P
01-19-2009, 05:31 PM
My guess is that by 'staying active' his pension would be higher? Can you explain if I'm right or wrong?

You would be right..if he had the 20 yrs service to retire in the first place.

That's one other thing that is left out...how long did he serve before his active separation?

Say he served 10 yrs. If he entered the active reserve after active duty he would get credit towards retirement but less than yr for yr credit, he'd do another 20 maybe in order to retire. Even then he can't draw retirement till age 60. The individual ready reserve is much like the national guard cept the feds can activate you anytime they want.

Need more info on this...story?

Kathianne
01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
You would be right..if he had the 20 yrs service to retire in the first place.

That's one other thing that is left out...how long did he serve before his active separation?

Say he served 10 yrs. If he entered the active reserve after active duty he would get credit towards retirement but less than yr for yr credit, he'd do another 20 maybe in order to retire. Even then he can't draw retirement till age 60. The individual ready reserve is much like the national guard cept the feds can activate you anytime they want.

Need more info on this...story?

So it would be like the 'kids' that signed up to 'see the world' or get paid 'for college', never figuring in the 'war scenario?' Pretty pitiful for anyone that didn't close those possibilities ASAP after 9/11. No?

Mr. P
01-19-2009, 07:20 PM
So it would be like the 'kids' that signed up to 'see the world' or get paid 'for college', never figuring in the 'war scenario?' Pretty pitiful for anyone that didn't close those possibilities ASAP after 9/11. No?

Maybe..I need more details though. Like I said, they don't just scoop someone up after a 15 yr separation for deployment, there's more to this story.

Kathianne
01-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Maybe..I need more details though. Like I said, they don't just scoop someone up after a 15 yr separation for deployment, there's more to this story.

Ok, maybe pb will fill us in.

DragonStryk72
01-20-2009, 12:32 AM
I totally agree. Make a military career more attractive in terms of compensation and defense spending, put a cap on the age at which you can be called back (as do many other countries) and let these vets enjoy civilian life if they so desire.

Heck, I'm just going for honoring the original contract is all. The compensation really isn't a huge problem, as long as you don't blow your money out your ass (Almost every sailor does this with gusto, from my time in). I mean, you get free eats (not the best, but really, who was expecting gourmet?), significant military discounts just about anywhere you go, access to the NEX/PX (tax-free, often heavily discounted), cheap air fare, medical for the rest of your life, a steady monthly paycheck with job security, housing, etc.

Psychoblues
01-21-2009, 08:52 PM
I simply shared a published article with you, Katty. I make no claims as any expert on the subject.

Ok, maybe pb will fill us in.

Is your concern for me to fill you in a new standard or expectation on this board?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

How 'bout a Cosmos?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??! Hell, it's way after 5 o'clock here!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues