PDA

View Full Version : Is this standard behavior?

Abbey Marie
01-05-2009, 02:40 PM
I heard on the news that Obama and family are staying in a hotel right across from the White House. Is this what incoming Presidents do? If not, it seems kind of pushy and obnoxious...

Monkeybone
01-05-2009, 02:50 PM
When you're the Man of Change and Hope, you can do whatever you want Abbey.

Abbey Marie
01-05-2009, 03:13 PM
When you're the Man of Change and Hope, you can do whatever you want Abbey.

Point taken. So what's next on the pre-inauguration agenda? Press conferences on the White House lawn? Seems that being gracious is not going to be a hallmark of the new Prez.

LiberalNation
01-05-2009, 03:25 PM
his kids are going to school in dc ya know. Nothing wrong with living in washington considering that is where headquarters are. Scraping the barrel trying to bash Obama aren't we.

Abbey Marie
01-05-2009, 03:28 PM
his kids are going to school in dc ya know. Nothing wrong with living in washington considering that is where headquarters are. Scraping the barrel trying to bash Obama aren't we.

The only hotel in Washington is right across from the White House? I'm shocked. I think I hear the sounds of scraping for a justification.

red states rule
01-05-2009, 03:29 PM

Public School's OK for us, but not the Obamas.

Typical double standards for liberals

Barack Obama’s daughters report for class at private school
By Associated Press
Monday, January 5, 2009 - Added 4h ago

WASHINGTON - Barack Obama’s two daughters are now at their new schools.

Security appeared relatively low key this morning, as the president-elect’s daughters showed up for their first day of classes there.

A spokeswoman for Michelle Obama says the future first lady accompanied 7-year-old Sasha and 10-year-old Malia to Sidwell Friends. Sasha is in second grade. She arrived at Sidwell’s elementary-school campus in Bethesda, Md. in bluejeans and a brown, hooded jacket, carrying a pink, magenta and gray backpack.

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/2009_01_05_Barack_Obama_s_daughters_report_for_cla ss_at_private_school/srvc=home&position=recent

red states rule
01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
The only hotel in Washington is right across from the White House? I'm shocked. I think I hear the sounds of scraping for a justification.

Abbey, it is the only hotel "worthy" of the messiah and his royal, eh loyal, family

LiberalNation
01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
it's one of the nicest hotels in washington, personally I bet secret security guys had a hand in it as well.

PostmodernProphet
01-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Usually they stay at the Blair House, which for some reason was booked.....that seems more suspicious than the choice of this place.....if they usually use Blair House, why didn't Blair House make sure the rooms were available in an inauguration year?......

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Usually they stay at the Blair House, which for some reason was booked.....that seems more suspicious than the choice of this place.....if they usually use Blair House, why didn't Blair House make sure the rooms were available in an inauguration year?......

They did for the 'normal' 5 days preceding the inauguration. They will go to Blair House on the 15th, How the Post reports:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/01/05/ST2009010500613.html

..The family had asked to stay at Blair House, a guesthouse near the White House where the president-elect typically lives just before inauguration. But they were rebuffed by the Bushes, who said the building was already booked "by White House officials, the State Department and its Office of Protocol for various events."

So the Obamas headed to the posh Hay-Adams, just off Lafayette Square, a stone's throw from their future home on Pennsylvania Avenue. The future first lady and daughters arrived Saturday night, hurried in mostly out of view by a caravan of black SUVs....

How USA Today reports:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2009-01-05-obama-hill-economy_N.htm

The Obamas will live in the Hay-Adams Hotel until the Blair House, the White House guest quarters, is available Jan. 15.

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Abbey, it is the only hotel "worthy" of the messiah and his royal, eh loyal, family

Hey, that's where we stayed for a week with my dad & brother. Best hotel I've ever been in!

red states rule
01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey, that's where we stayed for a week with my dad & brother. Best hotel I've ever been in!

Well if it is good enough for you Kat, it is surely good enough for the messiah :laugh2:

I wonder why Obama is not staying in the apartment/condo he has in DC?

Abbey Marie
01-05-2009, 05:03 PM
They did for the 'normal' 5 days preceding the inauguration. They will go to Blair House on the 15th, How the Post reports:

If the usual time spent there is 5 days, why are they across from the White House more than two weeks ahead of the day? As I said, I do not know the sop on this, but it seemed too early to be staring across the road and making his presence known. Kind of like having your date stand across the street from the cemetary, while you pay your last respects to your dearly departed wife.

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 05:06 PM
If the usual time spent there is 5 days, why are they across from the White House more than two weeks ahead of the day? As I said, I do not know the sop on this, but it seemed too early to be staring across the road and making his presence known. Kind of like having your date stand across the street from the cemetary, while you pay your last respects to your dearly departed wife.

LOL! Well it's probably the best hotel in the District and the Obama's have the money. As it's so close to the WH, like across the street, most likely easier for Secret Service too. I know that one Sunday, Bush & Laura were going to church on the opposite corner, the streets were shut down for less than 5 minutes, then when there were 'in' cleared again. Not tying up traffic, just a thought.

red states rule
01-05-2009, 05:07 PM

Part of it so the kids could go to their PRIVATE school. They started today Abbey, and the liberal media was fawning over them - and Mr and Mrs Messiah

CNN and WaPo's Sally Quinn Gush Over Obama Kids' 'Magical' New School
By Matthew Balan (Bio | Archive)
January 5, 2009 - 14:37 ET

CNN correspondent Joe Johns’ report on Monday’s American Morning heaped praise upon Sidwell Friends School, the new school for the Obama daughters. Johns read from one of the school’s own mission statements about its “Quaker values” and later described how President-Elect Obama apparently “often seems in tune with Quaker principles -- seeking consensus with others; talking rather than fighting with opponents; and, at least in the case of Iraq, if not Afghanistan, opposing war even when the majority supports it.” The correspondent also featured three clips from The Washington Post’s Sally Quinn, who gushed over school: “Sidwell is a happy school....it can be a really magical place.”

Johns began introducing Sidwell Friends as “among the elite private schools in Washington,” and set the laudatory tone of the report by playing the first clip from Quinn, who described the school as “very much about peace and community” and that it’s “very progressive.” He continued by highlighting how “the Obamas selected the school that was the best fit for what their daughters need right now.”

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-balan/2009/01/05/cnn-waposts-quinn-gush-over-obama-kids-new-magical-school

Abbey Marie
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Okey doke. I'll give him the benefit if the doubt for now on this one.

Classact
01-05-2009, 08:50 PM
The only hotel in Washington is right across from the White House? I'm shocked. I think I hear the sounds of scraping for a justification.There are very few places in Washington DC outside of government buildings safe to stay, there isn't a hotel in front of the White House it's behind it and over a block or two. With the exception of Gerogetown DC gets pretty basic after dark.

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
There are very few places in Washington DC outside of government buildings safe to stay, there isn't a hotel in front of the White House it's behind it and over a block or two. With the exception of Gerogetown DC gets pretty basic after dark.

The only thing separating the WH and Hay Adams is Lafayette Park, basically the backyard of the WH. As I said, the hotel is great, even if haunted. Right across the street is a church. Across the other street is Lafayette Park.

manu1959
01-05-2009, 10:00 PM
I heard on the news that Obama and family are staying in a hotel right across from the White House. Is this what incoming Presidents do? If not, it seems kind of pushy and obnoxious...

they usually stay in a guest house but bush had booked it....

Mr. P
01-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Is this place morphing into a DU site?

Geeezzz, how many straws are you folks gonna grab at? :rolleyes:

I didn't vote for the guy but he is, like it or not, the President Elect.
I'm willing to give him some time before slamming him.

As far as private school...my guess is the Secret Service may have had something to do with that despite his stand on vouchers. Same for the Hotel, a security issue. Good grief, the first black Pres in this United States, the security issues are NO DOUBT tremendous!

Get a grip folks, stop the baseless BS stuff.
This site doesn't need to be a gutter full of loons like DU.

That's my 2 cents.

PostmodernProphet
01-06-2009, 12:06 AM

As far as private school...my guess is the Secret Service may have had something to do with that despite his stand on vouchers. Same for the Hotel, a security issue. Good grief, the first black Pres in this United States, the security issues are NO DOUBT tremendous!

That's my 2 cents.
??....nobody even called him a name, we aren't even close to the du(mb) site.....

Mr. P
01-06-2009, 12:23 AM
??....nobody even called him a name, we aren't even close to the du(mb) site.....

A few here are getting very close.

Abbey Marie
01-06-2009, 12:34 AM

Well said, prophet. It seems that Obama may be weaving his magical teflon everywhere.

Yurt
01-06-2009, 12:52 AM

That's my 2 cents.

yes, lets have fewer posts...and make sure they are censored first

5stringJeff
01-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Historically, yes, it is customary for Presidents to stay in Washington hotels in the weeks preceding the inauguration. In fact, in the days before internet, phones, etc., the President would arrive there early in order to make Cabinet selections.

What Obama is doing is perfectly normal.

namvet
01-07-2009, 10:14 PM
attempt on Harry Trumans life

(The Truman family stayed in the Blair House during renovation of the White House from 1948 to 1952).

story (story)

http://nylatinojournal.com/home/images/stories/october_rev_3.jpg

CASUALTY OF THE REVOLUTION
The body of Griselio Torresola Roura after the attempt on President Truman’s life at Blair House, Washington, DC. Oscar Collazo, the other Nationalist who participated in the attempted assassination of President Truman, survived and served 29 years in prison until released by President Jimmy Carter in 1979.

DragonStryk72
01-08-2009, 02:23 AM

Actually, most usually, they would stay in the Blair House, right near the White House, save for fact that Bush apparently decided to rent it out to someone else. That's why they're staying in a hotel instead

Abbey Marie
01-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Actually, most usually, they would stay in the Blair House, right near the White House, save for fact that Bush apparently decided to rent it out to someone else. That's why they're staying in a hotel instead

Yes, they do, but from what I've since read, Presidents'-elect arrive two weeks later than Obama did. In Obama's case, he asked to arrive two weeks early, so it would coincide with the enrollment of his children in school. No harm in his asking, and no harm in the White house saying no, since it was two weeks earlier than expected and it was booked.

stephanie
01-08-2009, 10:30 AM
you are correct Abbey..

a lot of his cult followers figured President Bush should of stopped all he had planned for the end of his term, to let the great Messiah in..

PostmodernProphet
01-08-2009, 11:01 AM
attempt on Harry Trumans life

interesting....I had never heard of this before....