PDA

View Full Version : Obama Picks Leon Panetta to Head CIA

red states rule
01-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Leon Panetta is appereantly going to be our next CIA Director.

So, what is his experience to head the CIA?

Being a political hack and Clinton Chief of Shaft?

WASHINGTON – Two Democratic officials say President-elect Barack Obama has chosen former Clinton White House chief of staff Leon Panetta to run the CIA. Panetta was a surprise pick for the post, with no experience in the intelligence world. An Obama transition official and another Democrat disclosed his nomination on a condition of anonymity since it was not yet public.

Panetta was director of the Office of Management and Budget and a longtime congressman from California.

He served on the Iraq Study Group, a bipartisan panel that released a report at the end of 2006 with dozens of recommendations for the reversing course in the Iraq war.

Panetta currently directs with his wife Sylvia the Leon & Sylvia Panetta Institute for Public Policy, based at California State University, Monterey Bay a university he helped establish on the site of the former U.S. Army base, Fort Ord.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090105/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cia_director

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Even AP is agreeing that experience is missing here. I think it shows Obama's take on the need for intelligence, it's no longer necessary, as true under Clinton. Worked out well for us, no?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090105/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_spy_agencies

Obama's intel picks short on direct experience

By PAMELA HESS, Associated Press Writer
43 mins ago

WASHINGTON – President-elect Barack Obama's decision to fill the nation's top intelligence jobs with two men short on direct experience in intelligence gathering surprised the spy community and signaled the Democrat's intention for a clean break from Bush administration policies.

red states rule
01-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Given the importance for solid ontel these days, you would think an appropriate pick would have SOME Intellegence experience, wouldn't you?

Then again, it's not like our President-elect has any experience to be President, so why would we expect him to pick experience to head our CIA?

How many Clinton retreads does this make now, for the "agent of change"? But we still need someone to head the FBI and Jamie Garelick needs a job :eek:

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Given the importance for solid ontel these days, you would think an appropriate pick would have SOME Intellegence experience, wouldn't you?

Then again, it's not like our President-elect has any experience to be President, so why would we expect him to pick experience to head our CIA?

How many Clinton retreads does this make now, for the "agent of change"? But we still need someone to head the FBI and Jamie Garelick needs a job :eek:

Not if it's not a concern. Last I heard, Jamie Gorelick was being considered for a spot too. I don't think he plans to emphasize war on terror or foreign policy in particular. Of course, neither did Bush. You gets what you gets.

Yurt
01-05-2009, 07:17 PM
this guy thinks the presidency is some joke...he is serious about this job?

red states rule
01-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Not if it's not a concern. Last I heard, Jamie Gorelick was being considered for a spot too. I don't think he plans to emphasize war on terror or foreign policy in particular. Of course, neither did Bush. You gets what you gets.

We are screwed, and the terrorists are jumping for joy. The war on terror will now be considered a crime and treated as such

On the other hand being chief of shaft for Clinton gave him a good bit of covert experience.

It's not easy running a whore house in the middle of DC, without getting caught more times than he did.

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm a conservative, I backed Bush, especially in 2000. Truth is, he wanted to be a domestic president, that's where his plans were. He got something else and played the hand dealt. Lots of mistakes, though the gist was right.

Why do you think they were caught so far short in the aftermath? It hadn't really been addressed.

Obama seems to be reiterating Bush II more than anyone else, regardless of hype.

red states rule
01-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm a conservative, I backed Bush, especially in 2000. Truth is, he wanted to be a domestic president, that's where his plans were. He got something else and played the hand dealt. Lots of mistakes, though the gist was right.

Why do you think they were caught so far short in the aftermath? It hadn't really been addressed.

Obama seems to be reiterating Bush II more than anyone else, regardless of hype.

The Clinton Administration dismantled of our existing intel gathering capabilities, and the "wall" was put up between the intel agenicies- which is what led to 9-11. Now Obama, in all his wisdom, is going to turn over our primary intelligence agency to one of those who helped dismantle it?

MtnBiker
01-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I guess change meant Clinton retreads. i

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 07:40 PM
The Clinton Administration dismantled of our existing intel gathering capabilities, and the "wall" was put up between the intel agenicies- which is what led to 9-11. Now Obama, in all his wisdom, is going to turn over our primary intelligence agency to one of those who helped dismantle it?

RSR, again I'll disagree. Clinton did build the wall, thanks to advice of his appointees. It was also Bush's wish to ignore foreign affairs, problem is reality intruded. His bad luck.

Obama has plenty of notice, yet hopes to implement the true first round of GW's dream. Good luck with that.

red states rule
01-05-2009, 07:43 PM
RSR, again I'll disagree. Clinton did build the wall, thanks to advice of his appointees. It was also Bush's wish to ignore foreign affairs, problem is reality intruded. His bad luck.

Obama has plenty of notice, yet hopes to implement the true first round of GW's dream. Good luck with that.

This must be a bad dream, we're in a war, and Obama picks a political operative to head the CIA and the press says, "ho hum, how long was Obama's work out today, did you see the sun glinting off those pects".

But Leon is a liberal Dem - that is all the experience he needs for the job

hjmick
01-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Now now, Panetta was a part of the 2006 Iraq study group. And he's really, really smart.

red states rule
01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Now now, Panetta was a part of the 2006 Iraq study group. And he's really, really smart.

Leon was on the Iraq study group which recommended not going with the surge.

Now that was a good call :rolleyes:

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 08:32 PM
This must be a bad dream, we're in a war, and Obama picks a political operative to head the CIA and the press says, "ho hum, how long was Obama's work out today, did you see the sun glinting off those pects".

But Leon is a liberal Dem - that is all the experience he needs for the job

It's only a 'war' if acknowledged. As I said, Bush hadn't a problem coming into the election of 2000 without acknowledging the USS Cole or any of the other attacks. For all intents and purposes, he intended to keep the status quo, reality intervened. Now Obama thinks he can pick up 9/10, as I said, good luck with that.

red states rule
01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
It's only a 'war' if acknowledged. As I said, Bush hadn't a problem coming into the election of 2000 without acknowledging the USS Cole or any of the other attacks. For all intents and purposes, he intended to keep the status quo, reality intervened. Now Obama thinks he can pick up 9/10, as I said, good luck with that.

Now I understand more clearly why terror groups like Hamas said they wanted Obama to win

stephanie
01-05-2009, 09:16 PM
We are sooooooooooooooo screwed..

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 09:17 PM

Indeed. At the same time, opportunities present themselves. Thank you democrats!

red states rule
01-05-2009, 09:20 PM

You think Obama drank to much egg nog over the holiday? :laugh2:

red states rule
01-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Indeed. At the same time, opportunities present themselves. Thank you democrats!

What is next? Ayers for the US Supreme Court?

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 09:23 PM
What is next? Ayers for the US Supreme Court?

and that would hurt conservatives how? See what I mean?

red states rule
01-05-2009, 09:25 PM
and that would hurt conservatives how? See what I mean?

Well, in an interview with an undercover cop who got in the Weather Underground, Ayers told him those who could not give up capitalism and would not be reeducated - would have to be done away with

The left should be very happy right now

stephanie
01-05-2009, 09:27 PM
You think Obama drank to much egg nog over the holiday? :laugh2:

I think the Clintons used the black guy to win the election, because they saw he was more popular than she was, and now we have a new Clinton administration, with the Clintons running the show in the background..

If you really look at the little Marxist, he really isn't that bright, and everything he talks about, he has to use a teleprompter or a cheat sheet..

we are going to go through hell with the Clinton and Democrat, REVENGE..

They are going to sock it to us..

red states rule
01-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I think the Clintons used the black guy to win the election, because they saw he was more popular than she was, and now we have a new Clinton administration, with the Clintons running the show in the background..

If you really look at the little Marxist, he really isn't that bright, and everything he talks about, he has to use a teleprompter or a cheat sheet..

we are going to go through hell with the Clinton and Democrat, REVENGE..

They are going to sock it to us..

Here's probably what it sounded like when Obama picked Leon: "Oh, oh, oh! Can I pick somebody now, Hillary? Can I, can I?"

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Well, in an interview with an undercover cop who got in the Weather Underground, Ayers told him those who could not give up capitalism and would not be reeducated - would have to be done away with

The left should be very happy right now

and the mainstream voter would agree? You are missing the big picture. Obama will implode if he's not more careful. Ayers and the like are pushing themselves front and center, they are not 'mainstream', as are most 'republicans' and 'democrats'.

red states rule
01-05-2009, 09:38 PM
and the mainstream voter would agree? You are missing the big picture. Obama will implode if he's not more careful. Ayers and the like are pushing themselves front and center, they are not 'mainstream', as are most 'republicans' and 'democrats'.

I get what you are saying Kathy. I am worried Obama will implode and take the country with him

It is one thing to screw up the economy with his liberalism, but it is another to screw up the national security and make it easier for the terrorists to attack us again

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 09:45 PM
I get what you are saying Kathy. I am worried Obama will implode and take the country with him

It is one thing to screw up the economy with his liberalism, but it is another to screw up the national security and make it easier for the terrorists to attack us again

Not being facetious or harsh, if you have an alternative to deal with the duly elected president, let me know.

Truth is as I see it now, he's very close to GW in 2000 regarding agenda.

red states rule
01-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Not being facetious or harsh, if you have an alternative to deal with the duly elected president, let me know.

Truth is as I see it now, he's very close to GW in 2000 regarding agenda.

I am not taking it that way Kathy. Friends can speak frankly to each other

Obama may ne close to Pres Bush in 2000, but before 9-11

This pick is a joke Kathy, and I would like to know how the folks who are in the intel field feel about it

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 09:52 PM
I am not taking it that way Kathy. Friends can speak frankly to each other

Obama may ne close to Pres Bush in 2000, but before 9-11

This pick is a joke Kathy, and I would like to know how the folks who are in the intel field feel about it

If you catch what I'm saying, no disagreement with that.

red states rule
01-05-2009, 09:54 PM
If you catch what I'm saying, no disagreement with that.

I caught it

As Steph said, we are screwed

Kathianne
01-05-2009, 09:58 PM
I caught it

As Steph said, we are screwed

And as I said, there are opportunities, will we grasp them? It won't come from bitching about the inevitable right of the winners.

red states rule
01-05-2009, 10:00 PM
And as I said, there are opportunities, will we grasp them? It won't come from bitching about the inevitable right of the winners.

Well, I am glad I moved away from major population centers. I did take that opportunity

red states rule
01-06-2009, 12:08 PM
If Leon does not work out, Obama has another person in mind to run the CIA

http://www.senine.co.uk/resources/169/327/61/spy.jpg