PDA

View Full Version : To boost recruits, US Army relaxes weight rules

LiberalNation
01-06-2009, 10:55 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20090105/ts_csm/afat;_ylt=AjuJS2ExX0n0uOfVKrSM3dkDW7oF

Washington – The waistlines of America's youth are expanding, shrinking the pool of those eligible to join the US military. But an Army program is giving overweight enlistees a second chance – and helping the military with its own expansion.

The recently-introduced waiver program allows enlistees who don't qualify for the military because of their weight a chance to shape up after joining. So far, the program has helped the Army make its recruiting goals in what remains a tight recruiting market.

If the economic recession worsens, it could help the military's recruiting efforts as people seek stable employment. That could reduce the need for waiver programs. However, nutritionists don't see the trend of overweight Americans disappearing any time soon, ensuring the continuance of such programs in recruiting an all-volunteer force.

"We support any service who comes up with a scientifically defensible way of expanding the market [of recruits]," says Curtis Gilroy, director of accessions policy for the Pentagon.

namvet
01-06-2009, 03:18 PM
To boost recruits, US Army relaxes weight rules

says it all

emmett
01-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Hey.............. now there's a good idea! Why didn't we think of that sooner! I have another suggestion. We need to install child care facilities on the battlefield, let Outback take over food service and get rid of the five mile run in Boot Camp.

Oops.... one more. Hook up X Box and Cnn in every barracks!

namvet
01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Hey.............. now there's a good idea! Why didn't we think of that sooner! I have another suggestion. We need to install child care facilities on the battlefield, let Outback take over food service and get rid of the five mile run in Boot Camp.

shit. why didn't they think of this in my war ????? :dance:

red states rule
01-06-2009, 03:36 PM

Damn, if the Navy does the same, Virgil the Blimp may be able to re-enlist

KSigMason
01-07-2009, 03:07 AM
Stupid. Just stupid.

Oh, well, donuts! Here I come!

Trigg
01-07-2009, 09:38 AM
OK, I'm failing to see this problem with this.

What exactly is the issue.......especially if the people are meeting the weight goals by the end of bootcamp??????????

Noir
01-07-2009, 09:48 AM
What is the weight rule currently and what is it being changed to? Without that context the problem isn;t clear.

Trigg
01-07-2009, 09:52 AM
What is the weight rule currently and what is it being changed to? Without that context the problem isn;t clear.

I wondered the same thing, the article doesn't say how much they are relaxing the requirements.

Nukeman
01-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Such waivers had been studied for years but the program wasn't implemented until fiscal 2007, when it admitted about 1,500 individuals through the program (just a small slice of about 80,000 recruits). Recruits must pass a special battery of tests, including a "step test," and do a number of push-ups to demonstrate their physical abilities. If they pass and are enlisted, they have a year to comply with the Army's physical requirements, measured by "body mass index," a formula that estimates body fat based on weight and height.

Recruiting struggle
The Army's weight waiver program rests largely on a distinction between individuals who are overweight or obese and those who are physically fit but whose "body mass index," or BMI, doesn't meet Army standards.
This right here says it all. The BMI is a STUPID way to measure people for being over weight. It does NOT take into account a person who has a larger frame due to working out with weights. BMI standards put me at borderline obese yet I have a bodyfat composition of 10-11%. Tell me how can I be borderline obese yet have only 10% body fat??? The whole thing is stupid. To base your assumptions on the BMI is very self limiting.... It is about time the Army caught up to the rest of the world....

Psychoblues
01-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Good Grief!!!!!!!!!!!! Is our Army gonna turn into just a bunch of fat queers?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Some of these conversations are just exasperatin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any of you up for a Peppermint Snaptz (sp?) with your weinersnitzel?!?!?!???!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!??!?!?

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

namvet
01-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Peppermint Snaptz ???? I drink peach with Orange Juice. the old fuzzy navel.............:laugh2::laugh2:

Psychoblues
01-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Well,,,,,,All Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peppermint Snaptz ???? I drink peach with Orange Juice. the old fuzzy navel.............:laugh2::laugh2:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Psychoblues

5stringJeff
01-10-2009, 12:48 PM
The Army's weight standards are not calibrated very well. I had friends whose body types made them thicker than average, but who were by no means fat or overweight. If you are overwieght for your height, you get a "tape test," meaning they measure you to see if your weight is evenly distributed (i.e. you're one of those thicker body types). They always passed the tape test, even though they were "overwieght."

LiberalNation
01-10-2009, 12:59 PM

weight rule is over the top, a girl who could run faster than me and easily pass a pt test was still having to be tape tested and diet. Softball player type girl, big but not fat.

Psychoblues
01-10-2009, 10:19 PM
I think many miss the point. The weight standards and tape tests have become institutional over the years. I read the article as relaxing those standards and simply allowing the soldiers to get somewhat fatter without repercussions. Putting McDonalds on our military bases has exascerbated an already burgeoning (pardon the pun) perceived military problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When will they start selling 64 calorie Busch on Air Force bases?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

TheStripey1
02-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Damn, if the Navy does the same, Virgil the Blimp may be able to re-enlist

or even, you, RSR... or even you, provided of course you can find the courage to actually walk your big brave war talk.

I have faith that you can...

Do you?

actsnoblemartin
02-10-2009, 01:42 PM
im in :coffee:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20090105/ts_csm/afat;_ylt=AjuJS2ExX0n0uOfVKrSM3dkDW7oF

Washington – The waistlines of America's youth are expanding, shrinking the pool of those eligible to join the US military. But an Army program is giving overweight enlistees a second chance – and helping the military with its own expansion.

The recently-introduced waiver program allows enlistees who don't qualify for the military because of their weight a chance to shape up after joining. So far, the program has helped the Army make its recruiting goals in what remains a tight recruiting market.

If the economic recession worsens, it could help the military's recruiting efforts as people seek stable employment. That could reduce the need for waiver programs. However, nutritionists don't see the trend of overweight Americans disappearing any time soon, ensuring the continuance of such programs in recruiting an all-volunteer force.

"We support any service who comes up with a scientifically defensible way of expanding the market [of recruits]," says Curtis Gilroy, director of accessions policy for the Pentagon.

DannyR
02-10-2009, 09:20 PM
gives new meaning to the slogans "Be all you can be!" and "An army of one."

actsnoblemartin
02-10-2009, 09:35 PM

hahaha :coffee:

TheStripey1
02-11-2009, 11:52 AM

what's the chain of command structure in "an army of one"?

Psychoblues
04-24-2009, 04:26 AM
The Army of 1.5!!!!!!!! Be all you can be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose you will now be bitching about the fat queers that are running the military!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did Gomer Pyle say?!?!?!?!?!??!???!!? Surprise,,,,surprise!!!!!!!!!!