PDA

View Full Version : Ex-wife becomes a man; ex-husband seeks end to alimony

5stringJeff
03-28-2007, 12:53 PM
I think "WTF" sums up this story pretty well.

-------------
CLEARWATER, Florida (AP) -- Lawrence Roach agreed to pay alimony to the woman he divorced, not the man she became after a sex change, his lawyers argued in a Florida court Tuesday in an effort to end the payments.

But the ex-wife's attorneys said the operation does not alter the agreement.

The lawyers and Circuit Judge Jack St. Arnold agreed the case delves into relatively uncharted legal territory. They found only a 2004 Ohio case that addressed whether or not a transsexual could still collect alimony after a sex change.

"There is not a lot out there to help us," St. Arnold said.

Roach and his wife, Julia, divorced in 2004 after 18 years of marriage. The 48-year-old utility worker agreed to pay her $1,250 a month in alimony. Since then, Julia Roach, 55, has had a sex change and legally changed her name to Julio Roberto Silverwolf.

"It's illegal for a man to marry a man, and it should likewise be illegal for a man to pay alimony to a man," said Roach's attorney, John McGuire. "When she changed to a man, I believe she terminated that alimony."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/27/sexchange.alimony.ap/index.html?eref=rss_us

Gaffer
03-28-2007, 02:29 PM
I agree with that. If she wants to be a man she needs to act like one.

The ClayTaurus
03-28-2007, 02:51 PM
I agree with that. If she wants to be a man she needs to act like one.Should men who have gender changes be allowed to compete against women in sports?

Gaffer
03-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Should men who have gender changes be allowed to compete against women in sports?

Why not. Real women would bowl em over. They were sissies to begin with. A bull dyke would take them apart.

Hagbard Celine
03-28-2007, 03:23 PM
I think "WTF" sums up this story pretty well.

-------------
CLEARWATER, Florida (AP) -- Lawrence Roach agreed to pay alimony to the woman he divorced, not the man she became after a sex change, his lawyers argued in a Florida court Tuesday in an effort to end the payments.

But the ex-wife's attorneys said the operation does not alter the agreement.

The lawyers and Circuit Judge Jack St. Arnold agreed the case delves into relatively uncharted legal territory. They found only a 2004 Ohio case that addressed whether or not a transsexual could still collect alimony after a sex change.

"There is not a lot out there to help us," St. Arnold said.

Roach and his wife, Julia, divorced in 2004 after 18 years of marriage. The 48-year-old utility worker agreed to pay her $1,250 a month in alimony. Since then, Julia Roach, 55, has had a sex change and legally changed her name to Julio Roberto Silverwolf.

"It's illegal for a man to marry a man, and it should likewise be illegal for a man to pay alimony to a man," said Roach's attorney, John McGuire. "When she changed to a man, I believe she terminated that alimony."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/27/sexchange.alimony.ap/index.html?eref=rss_us

Of course it's in Florida. :lol:

The ClayTaurus
03-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Why not. Real women would bowl em over. They were sissies to begin with. A bull dyke would take them apart.Although I disagree, I appreciate you consistency.

Mr. P
03-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Should men who have gender changes be allowed to compete against women in sports?

Not IMO. Applies an Oranges, don’t ya think? One is a court order; the other is in a business public venue.

Who was that guy that did that anyway, I remember hearing about it.

Abbey Marie
03-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Not IMO. Applies an Oranges, don’t ya think? One is a court order; the other is in a business public venue.

Who was that guy that did that anyway, I remember hearing about it.

Was it Dr. Renee Richards, competing in women's tennis?

Mr. P
03-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Was it Dr. Renee Richards, competing in women's tennis?

No someone else I think, not too long ago, just a few years maybe.

LiberalNation
03-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Well if his contract didn't say she had to remain a woman to get the money he/she should still get the money. They were married, that was the deal. Adding a penis on her part doesn't change it.

LiberalNation
03-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Told ya.

Judge: Sex change doesn't end alimony

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070328/ap_on_re_us/sex_change_alimony;_ylt=Ako9NBZx2FPvM8vYhkgdaFFvzw cF