PDA

View Full Version : Selling the Stimulus

stephanie
01-09-2009, 11:00 PM
January 9, 2009
When you’re selling something really expensive and not very palatable, it’s best to choose the words in your sales pitch carefully.

At least that seems to be the wisdom revealed in a Bloomberg report today that says Team Obama has been polling to choose the phrases it — and Congress— should use to promote the humongous economic stimulus package they are working on.

Bad: recession. Good: recovery.

Bad: infrastructure. Good: investment.

David Axelrod and campaign adviser Jim Margolis are behind the effort. But Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said the polling won’t shape what goes in the plan, just how it is presented.

“Not unlike news organizations, we poll public attitudes about where the economy is,” Gibbs told Bloomberg. “We’re not polling to see what should be in an economic-recovery plan.”

See? He said “recovery.” Obama said it seven times in his speech yesterday, and mentioned recession three times. He said some form of “invest” eight times, and “infrastructure” just twice, and then it was in the context of investing.

from..
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dc/2009/01/selling-the-stimulus.html

Classact
01-10-2009, 07:29 AM
He's also selling urgency and congress, the Senate any way will be anything but urgent! There may be some sort of legislation by March???

5stringJeff
01-10-2009, 08:59 AM
He's also selling urgency and congress, the Senate any way will be anything but urgent! There may be some sort of legislation by March???

With a rubber-stamp Congress, I wouldn't be surprised.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 07:22 AM
I have always said, liberal polices, core beliefs, and values are always subject to change based on polls and focus groups

No real executive can lead by going the Family Feud route, by polling and taking the top 5 answers and telling Congress, "The Survey says...!"

Hobbit
01-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I have always said, liberal polices, core beliefs, and values are always subject to change based on polls and focus groups

No real executive can lead by going the Family Feud route, by polling and taking the top 5 answers and telling Congress, "The Survey says...!"

Clinton somehow pulled it off.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Clinton somehow pulled it off.

So much for change then, huh?