PDA

View Full Version : Obama Site Linked to 'Bush Shoe Toss' Event

stephanie
01-09-2009, 11:19 PM
January 09, 2009 5:26 PM

ABC News' Teddy Davis reports:

Click here to see the reference to the Jan. 19 'Bush Shoe Toss' which was recently deleted from USAService.org.

Colin Powell held a press conference in Washington, D.C., Friday, touting the launch of Barack Obama's new Web site, USAService.org, which allows Americans to find -- and to promote -- local service opportunities that are searchable by zip code.

President Bush's former secretary of state said he was on the site this morning and vouched for its usefulness.

But here's betting that Powell didn't have time to go through all of the events on it.

Wanting to see how the Web site works, I typed in my hometown zip code in Los Angeles to find events within a 10-mile radius.

It pointed me to several events, including a blood drive, a graffiti cleanup, and an "Obama Celebration and Bush Shoe Toss."

The event, which was listed as a "Day of Service -- January 19," is taking place at the soon-to-open Carnivale Café on the corner of Vermont and Normal.

"Come celebrate with us," wrote Gilbert Gazan, 46, in the event's description. "Say goodbye to old Georgie ... Throw a shoe at a poster of Bush and win a free drink."

Click here to see the LA Weekly cover that the restaurant plans to use for the shoe-throwing contest.

Colin Powell held a press conference in Washington, D.C., on Friday, touting the launch of USAService.org.

Other than doing an occasional "very cursory" review of the site to make sure there are no "glaringly inappropriate" events on the site, the Presidential Inaugural Committee is "not vetting the groups that are offering service opportunities or the individuals that are offering service opportunities or the people who want to participate," according to Linda Douglass, the committee's chief spokesperson.

read it all and comments.
http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2009/01/obama-site-link.html