PDA

View Full Version : So I fethed up my politics mock

Noir
01-10-2009, 07:46 AM
With my A-level exams coming up soon we have started doing mock papers, and aparently the one I did this thursaday for American politics was a fail, why? Cus I promoted the 2nd amendment.

Basicly the question was along the lines of 'identify and explain 2 amendments that have helped create a more democratic USA' I chose the 2nd and 19th (guns and womens right to vote) it seems that I was meant to chose womens right to vote and either abolishon of slavery or blacks right to vote, as the were the only answers on the mark scheme, which has left me a bit miffed cus during the exam I though that doing both women and blacks getting the vote would have too much of the same, and that the 2nd would be a bit different and maybes get extra marks, not less!

Anyways it's only a mock so it kinda means nothing, but all the same if that had been a real exam I may have been screwed.

Psychoblues
01-10-2009, 08:16 AM
First off, I think it remarkable that studies in your country involve understanding and recognition of the United States Constitution. I am certain that about 100% of American schools could give one shit less about the Constitutional (no pun intended) arrangements in England or about anywhere else for that matter. Secondly, I recognise your interests as commendable due to your recognition of the most important to our nation in our everlasting and ongoing struggle for truth, justice and fairness and our personal abilities to enforce/insist upon them. As you know, we have a ways to go on all of that but we're trying.

With my A-level exams coming up soon we have started doing mock papers, and aparently the one I did this thursaday for American politics was a fail, why? Cus I promoted the 2nd amendment.

Basicly the question was along the lines of 'identify and explain 2 amendments that have helped create a more democratic USA' I chose the 2nd and 19th (guns and womens right to vote) it seems that I was meant to chose womens right to vote and either abolishon of slavery or blacks right to vote, as the were the only answers on the mark scheme, which has left me a bit miffed cus during the exam I though that doing both women and blacks getting the vote would have too much of the same, and that the 2nd would be a bit different and maybes get extra marks, not less!

Anyways it's only a mock so it kinda means nothing, but all the same if that had been a real exam I may have been screwed.

Good show, Noir!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could I offer you a shot of your favorite juice?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

5stringJeff
01-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Noir, you are absolutely correct in saying that the Second Amendment has made America more democratic, in that it ensures that government can't merely trample over the rights of Americans. However, if you get the question again, consider the 17th Amendment (election of Senators directly by the people, instead of appointed by state legislatures), the 14th Amendment (equal protection under the law), or the 24th (abolishing the poll tax).

Noir
01-10-2009, 09:13 AM
First off, I think it remarkable that studies in your country involve understanding and recognition of the United States Constitution. I am certain that about 100% of American schools could give one shit less about the Constitutional (no pun intended) arrangements in England or about anywhere else for that matter. Secondly, I recognise your interests as commendable due to your recognition of the most important to our nation in our everlasting and ongoing struggle for truth, justice and fairness and our personal abilities to enforce/insist upon them. As you know, we have a ways to go on all of that but we're trying.

Good show, Noir!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could I offer you a shot of your favorite juice?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Psychoblues

Indeed Sir, I'm quite pleased at the bredth of our politics department, over 2 years and 6 moduels we have looked at Northern Ireland, the UK (2 moduels), the UN & EU, and America (2 moduels)
I've also taken on an extra moduel on political theroy coverng Marxism, pluralism and fascism. We also regulary chose a random country and a group gave to find out stuff like what political system it has, who are the main parties, what are their political aims ect.

Ofcourse, a shot of pineapple would hit the spot :)

remie
01-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Indeed Sir, I'm quite pleased at the bredth of our politics department, over 2 years and 6 moduels we have looked at Northern Ireland, the UK (2 moduels), the UN & EU, and America (2 moduels)
I've also taken on an extra moduel on political theroy coverng Marxism, pluralism and fascism. We also regulary chose a random country and a group gave to find out stuff like what political system it has, who are the main parties, what are their political aims ect.

What are you planning to do with your education Noir?

Noir
01-10-2009, 10:43 AM
What are you planning to do with your education Noir?

Well my short term goal is to get into university later this year, to study law and politics. Beond that I would like to serve in either local or centrealized governent in the UK, most likely England. Though I have also taken part in EU based compatitions, such as the youth rotery comp and the EU mock parliement 2008, so depending on the university course I may end up looking for work in the European parliement,

Abbey Marie
01-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Well my short term goal is to get into university later this year, to study law and politics. Beond that I would like to serve in either local or centrealized governent in the UK, most likely England. Though I have also taken part in EU based compatitions, such as the youth rotery comp and the EU mock parliement 2008, so depending on the university course I may end up looking for work in the European parliement,

Noir, when you are a famous politico, can you PLEASE arrange a private tour of Westminster Abbey for me? Right now, all I have is the hope that our daughter catches the eye of one of the princes, lol.

And- great nuanced answer to your exam. Obviously your teacher isn't thinking quite at your level. :beer:

Noir
01-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Noir, when you are a famous politico, can you PLEASE arrange a private tour of Westminster Abbey for me? Right now, all I have is the hope that our daughter catches the eye of one of the princes, lol.

And- great nuanced answer to your exam. Obviously your teacher isn't thinking quite at your level. :beer:

Private tours eh? I have heard of many politicans careers which have ended in disgrace after 'private tours'. So aslong as you promise not to go to the tabloids we have a deal. :beer:

Yurt
01-10-2009, 02:28 PM

i don't know what kind of schools psydeshow went to, but i studied english history all through grammar school and college and lawschool. english history plays a major part in the foundation of our country and our constitution, you wouldn't fully understand our constitution without understanding the magna carta and the great english thinkers of that day. IMO

Kathianne
01-10-2009, 03:32 PM
i don't know what kind of schools psydeshow went to, but i studied english history all through grammar school and college and lawschool. english history plays a major part in the foundation of our country and our constitution, you wouldn't fully understand our constitution without understanding the magna carta and the great english thinkers of that day. IMO

Indeed. In US history in middle school I give them brief course in Magna Carta, English Bill of Rights, Britain's civil war, Locke, Montesquieu, Mayflower Compact. It's the least they need to know.

Abbey Marie
01-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Private tours eh? I have heard of many politicans careers which have ended in disgrace after 'private tours'. So aslong as you promise not to go to the tabloids we have a deal. :beer:

Noir, would you please get your mind out of the gutter, so mine can swim by?

:laugh2:

Noir
01-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Noir, would you please get your mind your of the gutter, so mine can swim by?

:laugh2:

I don't think so m'dear, I can't leave a lady like you in a gutter like this, :cheers2:

@Yurt & Kathi, Indeed the magna carta has huge significance and has shaped world history. Along with acts such as Habous Corpus (sp?) but it seems that in recent years Americans and Europeans alike have seen fit to mush these once great pillers of our society, ironicly, in the name of civil liberties.

(btw I have a feeling there are many spelling mistakes in this post, my apologies.)

Kathianne
01-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't think so m'dear, I can't leave a lady like you in a gutter like this, :cheers2:

@Yurt & Kathi, Indeed the magna carta has huge significance and has shaped world history. Along with acts such as Habous Corpus (sp?) but it seems that in recent years Americans and Europeans alike have seen fit to mush these once great pillers of our society, ironicly, in the name of civil liberties.

(btw I have a feeling there are many spelling mistakes in this post, my apologies.)

I get the spelling and you are correct. The English too have debts, Code of Hammurabi, etc. Western Civ is not being taught and with the demise of it, so goes the culture...

Yurt
01-10-2009, 08:35 PM
I get the spelling and you are correct. The English too have debts, Code of Hammurabi, etc. Western Civ is not being taught and with the demise of it, so goes the culture...

kathy you have your pulse on this...what are they teachign kids today if not western civ? homo historical erotica and blessed be muhammad?

i don't understand how western civ has became the 'only' bad name/civ out there. as if all other civs are righteous in their actions, but those westerners are evil. is it because of the world wars, slavery, the native population in america? i guarantee you that every major civ has had these same sins, if not more, maybe not on the same scale, then again, the earth has never been this populated and the technology not as advanced. the world over enjoys numerous western civ advances, one being more equality, why is it that all those who hate us continue to move to western society? no one (not many) is moving to their countries. and those from those countries that do move here, how many ever move back to their 'paradise'?

side note: if you believe in the bible and flood, i've always wondered what it is that they did that was so bad God destroyed them in a flood.

Kathianne
01-10-2009, 08:42 PM
kathy you have your pulse on this...what are they teachign kids today if not western civ? homo historical erotica and blessed be muhammad?

i don't understand how western civ has became the 'only' bad name/civ out there. as if all other civs are righteous in their actions, but those westerners are evil. is it because of the world wars, slavery, the native population in america? i guarantee you that every major civ has had these same sins, if not more, maybe not on the same scale, then again, the earth has never been this populated and the technology not as advanced. the world over enjoys numerous western civ advances, one being more equality, why is it that all those who hate us continue to move to western society? no one (not many) is moving to their countries. and those from those countries that do move here, how many ever move back to their 'paradise'?

side note: if you believe in the bible and flood, i've always wondered what it is that they did that was so bad God destroyed them in a flood.

Seriously? I think part of Western Civ is taking deserved criticism, much of which comes from within. Then there is the fact that we take seriously the criticism from without our sphere, moreso in the past 200 years.

In the broadest sense the culture of Western Civ is not to 'toot our own horn' knowing we are imperfect people. It's the whole Judeo-Christian thing. There is a price for this. We are now paying it. I've pointed out how many Jews are criticizing Israel, while the Muslims are silent about any possible wrongs by Hamas. It's the nature of cultures, but sometime, soon, we must realize it's not a suicide pact.

Little-Acorn
01-10-2009, 08:50 PM
However, if you get the question again, consider the 17th Amendment (election of Senators directly by the people, instead of appointed by state legislatures),

If you get the question again and decide to consider the 17th amendment, you might look into the matter of the protection of powers that are reserved to the states, and how the 17th changed that protection. Ultimately, outline the result of the 17th's passage, on the balance of states' authority vs. Federal authority.

In other words, why did the Framers originally call for US Senators to be appointed by their state governments? And what effect did the passage of the 17th have, on the Framers' original intentions?

Yurt
01-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Seriously? I think part of Western Civ is taking deserved criticism, much of which comes from within. Then there is the fact that we take seriously the criticism from without our sphere, moreso in the past 200 years.

In the broadest sense the culture of Western Civ is not to 'toot our own horn' knowing we are imperfect people. It's the whole Judeo-Christian thing. There is a price for this. We are now paying it. I've pointed out how many Jews are criticizing Israel, while the Muslims are silent about any possible wrongs by Hamas. It's the nature of cultures, but sometime, soon, we must realize it's not a suicide pact.

i do not believe we are without fault. i didn't make myself clear...it seems to me that western civ is the "only" evil civ around today. especially western white civ, which is a majority of western civ. yet, other civs from every civ on earth flock to western countries.

there is no doubt that western civ should have a critical eye unto itself, without this there would be no growth and we would not have the many advances we have today.

what is the price? and what are we paying?

Kathianne
01-10-2009, 08:56 PM
i do not believe we are without fault. i didn't make myself clear...it seems to me that western civ is the "only" evil civ around today. especially western white civ, which is a majority of western civ. yet, other civs from every civ on earth flock to western countries.

there is no doubt that western civ should have a critical eye unto itself, without this there would be no growth and we would not have the many advances we have today.

what is the price? and what are we paying?

Ah, you misread my point, or rather I didn't make myself clear. We are hypercritical about ourselves, including all 'members'. Too much so, since those against us fail to see any problems of their own.

Psychoblues
01-10-2009, 09:35 PM
With apologies to Noir I am going to check back into this conversation because several members decided to dump on me and my comments on the OP. I maintain what I said and make no apologies for the misunderstanding of those that might be so readily critical of my comments or the general understanding of American students of the English national equivalent to our (American) Constitution and it's amendmends.

Perhaps if American students were taught better about international governance, genuine history of Wars and conflict, respect for accords and conventions negotiated by others than our personal selves, importance of cultures and other subjects important to international well being then we wouldn't have so many arm chair warriors (inadvertant terrorists) lurking about these otherwise innocent and informative internet message boards.

Sheesh, what a bunch of fuckin' punks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, apologies to Noir whose post was honest, forthright and pleasingly informative to me.

Anyone up for a pint, or a shot of Pineapple juice?!?!??!?!?!???!

Psychoblues

Yurt
01-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Ah, you misread my point, or rather I didn't make myself clear. We are hypercritical about ourselves, including all 'members'. Too much so, since those against us fail to see any problems of their own.

is it then our introspect alone that gives us a bad name? or are you saying that we are critical of 'all' thus, all are critical of us....

imho, if you look back less than 100 years ago, we did not consider ourselves the worst, nor did others. while the world continues sinning, only the US or the west is viewed as negative. we allow this, and maybe that is what you are trying to say. allowing introspect is good, but to view all othes as better morally is only leads to a death of that civilization. and maybe that is what we are headed for, something better. but i don't think so, given that others view more violent civs as better than us, yet they continue to come here in droves and then when here, don't learn our civ, but ensconce themselves in their former civ WHILE enjoying the benefits of ours.

Psychoblues
01-10-2009, 10:07 PM
I thinketh you full of shit, yuk, and a liar to boot!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell your crap to people that don't know any better yet somehow think that you know what you're talking about.

Cultural assimilation is a multi generational endeavor that is most often unconsciencely effected by surroundings. Many people of many cultures have assimilated amongst the US population over generations. Institutional and self segregation has not helped but overall it is getting better than you intimate.

Your aspersions to the immigration here to our "benefits" is entirely dishonest. I thought you said somewhere that you are a lawyer?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Perhaps you need to take a few courses in civics and international studies?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Better yet, take a few trips overseas, maybe even wear a uniform and tote around a powerful weapon and use your head as opposed to your power with said weapon.

I just hate bigots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Yurt
01-10-2009, 10:12 PM
anyway

Psychoblues
01-10-2009, 10:21 PM
I figured you would agree!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway

Psychoblues

Hobbit
01-11-2009, 12:23 AM
While it is technically correct that the 17th amendment did make the U.S. more democratic, this is not a good thing. The 17th amendment removed the power of state governments to pull any strings in Washington, relegating them to the status of dogs yipping for congress' table scraps. On second thought, writing an essay about how the 17th amendment makes America more democratic as a bad thing would be interesting.

Others you might consider:
7th amendment: Right to a jury trial in civil court
10th amendment: Decentralizing power so that all powers belong to the people unless the state or federal constitution says otherwise
Amendments 4, 5, 6, and 9 for keeping the federal government from having the power to make you miserable without due cause.

In all honest, I think the better project would be:
True/False: America is a democracy.
Essay: Why or why not?
True/False: Would the Founding Fathers, if brought up to speed on all historical context, agree with the current state of the United States federal government.
Essay: Why or why not?

Hint, the true/false questions are false and false.

Psychoblues
01-11-2009, 01:13 AM
As you offer no evidence as to the accuracy of your certain opinions, hibbit, I would view them as completely inaccurate on all accounts. As the longest sustaining democracy in the history of mankind I think America should continue to be cherished by all those that fully appreciate that fact.

Psychoblues

Yurt
01-11-2009, 01:16 AM
I figured you would agree!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

what makes you think i agree with you?

Psychoblues
01-11-2009, 01:26 AM
Obviously you agree or you would offer up an argument rather than indicate anything silly. You weren't trying to be silly were you, yuk?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

Hobbit
01-11-2009, 01:39 AM
As you offer no evidence as to the accuracy of your certain opinions, hibbit, I would view them as completely inaccurate on all accounts. As the longest sustaining democracy in the history of mankind I think America should continue to be cherished by all those that fully appreciate that fact.

Psychoblues

America is not a democracy. America is a republic. A democracy is an infantile form of government in which the mob rules the day. The founders despised pure democracy and, in fact, used the word 'democrat' as a derogatory term for politicians who set aside what was actually good for the country and instead did what the majority of voters wanted. Washington even warned against democracy in his farewell address.

Democracy is tyranny by mob, and can only last until the majority of people both figure out they can vote largess from the treasury and are selfish enough to do so. We're pretty much there.

Psychoblues
01-11-2009, 01:56 AM
I don't know what poison you're attempting to spew, hibbit, but America is indeed a democracy. Even the words of our current President reflect that fact and his intentions to spread the American form of democracy worldwide if possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!

America is not a democracy. America is a republic. A democracy is an infantile form of government in which the mob rules the day. The founders despised pure democracy and, in fact, used the word 'democrat' as a derogatory term for politicians who set aside what was actually good for the country and instead did what the majority of voters wanted. Washington even warned against democracy in his farewell address.

Democracy is tyranny by mob, and can only last until the majority of people both figure out they can vote largess from the treasury and are selfish enough to do so. We're pretty much there.

Good luck with your tyrannical arguments, hibbit, but this ol' Democrat ain't buying into any of that horseshit you're trying to sell as healthy for our country. Although many times disappointed I remain largely quite proud of our country, our laws, especially our Constitution and even proud enough to have worn it's uniform and fought some of it's wars.

Obviously you miss the point of American democracy.

Need something to wash down that crow you're eating?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

Yurt
01-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Obviously you agree or you would offer up an argument rather than indicate anything silly. You weren't trying to be silly were you, yuk?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

how can i offer up an argument when you offer none?

Psychoblues
01-11-2009, 02:44 AM
You don't keep up with even your own quite recent posts, do you, yuk?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!

how can i offer up an argument when you offer none?

Easy to see why you're in your present professional predicament!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Noir
01-19-2009, 05:43 AM
If I may steal the thread back,

Not long outa my real politics exam, there were 2 questions, a 10 marker and a 20 marker.

The 10 marker was 'identify and explain 2 ways inwhich the constitution can be informaly changed.

And the 20 marker was 'the inflexibility of the constitution remains a fundamental problem for the US, Discuss'

Over all I think it went pretty well, least I hope so.

The other questions were;
Supreme court;
'identify & explain 2 controversial Supreme courst decisions'
And
'the supreme court responds to popular opinion, discuss'

US political parties;
'identify and explain how the republician and democratic parties are organised'
And
'there are now major policy differences between the republican and democratic parties, discuss'.

Sitarro
01-19-2009, 06:55 AM
If I may steal the thread back,

Not long outa my real politics exam, there were 2 questions, a 10 marker and a 20 marker.

The 10 marker was 'identify and explain 2 ways inwhich the constitution can be informaly changed.

And the 20 marker was 'the inflexibility of the constitution remains a fundamental problem for the US, Discuss'

Over all I think it went pretty well, least I hope so.

The other questions were;
Supreme court;
'identify & explain 2 controversial Supreme courst decisions'
And
'the supreme court responds to popular opinion, discuss'

US political parties;
'identify and explain how the republician and democratic parties are organised'
And
'there are now major policy differences between the republican and democratic parties, discuss'.

Tell your teacher that they have the name of one of the parties wrong, it is the Democrat Party, not the Democratic Party.......

Oh and sycho, we aren't a Democracy, why expect any correct schooling from Mississippi?

Noir
01-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Tell your teacher that they have the name of one of the parties wrong, it is the Democrat Party, not the Democratic Party.......

Oh and sycho, we aren't a Democracy, why expect any correct schooling from Mississippi?

Sarry sittarro, typeo, should have read democrat

Psychoblues
01-23-2009, 10:49 PM
You were not wrong and please don't attempt to excuse it as a typo, Noir.

Sarry sittarro, typeo, should have read democrat

zero is an idiot that likes to try and correct things that she doesn't know anything about. It is and remains the Democratic Party. Do I need to offer you a link for verification?!?!?!?!?!?!???!

How about a shot of pineapple?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues