PDA

View Full Version : Obama braces nation for 'heavy lift'

stephanie
01-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Obama braces nation for 'heavy lift'
By JONATHAN MARTIN & MIKE ALLEN | 1/10/09 8:27 PM EST Text Size:

"Not everything that we talked about during the campaign are we going to be able to do on the pace we had hoped," said Obama.

In an interview on ABC's "This Week," President-elect Obama is warning that his campaign promises will take longer than he expected to carry out, and that Americans will face more of a burden than many have realized.

"I'm focused on a pretty heavy lift, which is making sure we get that reinvestment and recovery package in place," Obama said.

The interview with George Stephanopoulos, Obama's first since returning to Washington as presisdent-elect last weekend, was taped Saturday at the Newseum, where "This Week" has its studio, and will air on Sunday.

"George, I want to be realistic here: Not everything that we talked about during the campaign are we going to be able to do on the pace we had hoped," Obama said in brief excerpts released by ABC.

Obama also hinted at future tax increases and spending cuts.

"Everybody's going to have to give," Obama said. "Everybody's going to have to have some skin in the game."

read it all and comments..
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0109/17309.html

Mr. P
01-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Obama braces nation for 'heavy lift'
By JONATHAN MARTIN & MIKE ALLEN | 1/10/09 8:27 PM EST Text Size:

"Not everything that we talked about during the campaign are we going to be able to do on the pace we had hoped," said Obama.

In an interview on ABC's "This Week," President-elect Obama is warning that his campaign promises will take longer than he expected to carry out, and that Americans will face more of a burden than many have realized.

"I'm focused on a pretty heavy lift, which is making sure we get that reinvestment and recovery package in place," Obama said.

The interview with George Stephanopoulos, Obama's first since returning to Washington as presisdent-elect last weekend, was taped Saturday at the Newseum, where "This Week" has its studio, and will air on Sunday.

"George, I want to be realistic here: Not everything that we talked about during the campaign are we going to be able to do on the pace we had hoped," Obama said in brief excerpts released by ABC.

Obama also hinted at future tax increases and spending cuts.

"Everybody's going to have to give," Obama said. "Everybody's going to have to have some skin in the game."

read it all and comments..
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0109/17309.html

a no brainer.

Hobbit
01-11-2009, 12:40 AM
He's going to give me a hernia.

Yurt
01-11-2009, 01:17 AM
wasn't he going around saying joe the plumber misconstrued his words, yet here he is proving that....in fact....he wants to spread the wealth

obama is a liar

Psychoblues
01-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Lifting this country from the cesspool that gwb is leaving will indeed be a very "heavy lift". I have faith in Americans, however, and I suspect that with the leadership of President Barack Hussein Obama we can accomplish all that we can dream despite the disasters of the conservative mismanagement of the last 8 miserable years.

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Binky
01-11-2009, 05:52 AM
Well, it is certainly going to take us all working together as a people to pull ourselves out of the mire that we have gotten ourselves into. It's going to take time, work, money and stamina. We are all in this for the long haul. There are no easy fixes. It's time we pull together and get on with repairing the damage that's been done.

Psychoblues
01-11-2009, 06:06 AM
Ain't that a natural fact, Binky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it is certainly going to take us all working together as a people to pull ourselves out of the mire that we have gotten ourselves into. It's going to take time, work, money and stamina. We are all in this for the long haul. There are no easy fixes. It's time we pull together and get on with repairing the damage that's been done.

Cool one!?!?!?!?!????!???!????!?!?

Psychoblues

Kathianne
01-11-2009, 06:10 AM
Many of us 'will pay the price', but not the folks with the bailouts. $700 billion, half spent with no accountability. Now Bush is trying to get the other half, for Obama. Congress damn well better say, "No." If GW does veto, they damn well better overturn it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/09/AR2009010902846.html?hpid=topnews

Bush Prepares Request for Rest Of Bailout Funds
If Congress Votes Down Measure, Veto Power Could Come Into Play
By David Cho and Lori Montgomery
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, January 10, 2009; A01

Senior Bush administration officials, consulting with the Obama transition team, have prepared a plan to ask lawmakers for the second half of the $700 billion financial rescue package despite intense opposition in Congress, sources familiar with the discussions said.

The initiative could create an unusual political scenario straddling the Bush and Obama administrations. If Congress were to vote down the measure, either President Bush or Obama would have to exercise a veto to get the money.

Obama officials would prefer that Bush exercise any veto rather than leave the new president with the unsavory task of rebuffing his fellow Democrats in Congress to advance a widely unpopular program, sources said. The White House has declined to say publicly whether Bush would be willing to issue the veto....

Classact
01-11-2009, 07:18 AM
What happened to all the liberals that used to say Bush uses fear to do what he wants to do? Obama uses more fear tactics than Bush has ever used... don't pay attention to the land grab with a $2 million dollar per salmon http://townhall.com/Columnists/AmandaCarpenter/2009/01/10/harry_reid%e2%80%99s_land_grab don't pay attention to a $7 trillion Cap-in-Trade that will increase the average household energy by $4200.00 every year, fear Republicans saying slow down and let's talk about this.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 07:23 AM
What happened to all the liberals that used to say Bush uses fear to do what he wants to do? Obama uses more fear tactics than Bush has ever used... don't pay attention to the land grab with a $2 million dollar per salmon http://townhall.com/Columnists/AmandaCarpenter/2009/01/10/harry_reid%e2%80%99s_land_grab don't pay attention to a $7 trillion Cap-in-Trade that will increase the average household energy by $4200.00 every year, fear Republicans saying slow down and let's talk about this.

Lesson #1 with liberals is NEVER mention what they said yesterday - only mention what they say today

Classact
01-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Lesson #1 with liberals is NEVER mention what they said yesterday - only mention what they say todayYou will lose your job and stand in a soup line if you don't do exactly as I say... No thank you Uncle Sugar leave me alone and stop trying to scare me.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 07:40 AM
You will lose your job and stand in a soup line if you don't do exactly as I say... No thank you Uncle Sugar leave me alone and stop trying to scare me.

For the next several years, the Dems will use the same excuse they have used for the last 7 years:

It is Bush's fault

Psychoblues
01-11-2009, 08:26 AM
It is Bush's fault, dumbo.

For the next several years, the Dems will use the same excuse they have used for the last 7 years:

It is Bush's fault

Let's see how you categorize the next 8 years of President Barack Hussein Obama, how about it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

red states rule
01-11-2009, 08:29 AM
It is Bush's fault, dumbo.

Let's see how you catrgorize the next 8 years of President Barack Hussein Obama, how about it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

Sure. Lets ignore the fact the Reid and Pelosi Congress have passed the bailout bills with no restrictions on how the money is spent - then wonder why the economy is not improving

Lets ignore the fact Dems have controled the purse strings for the last 2 years while the deficit has increased

We were told by Reid and Pelosi without the bailouts (that have been approved) the economy would tank. Well nothing is happening so lets spend more money

Dems have no excuses now - but they will use their #1 excuse even when they have total control

"It's Bush's fault"

Psychoblues
01-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Like I said, dumbo, we'll see how your excuses work out. You're already projecting in the exact manner expected!!!!!!!!!!! You are such a fuckin' shithead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

red states rule
01-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Like I said, dumbo, we'll see how your excuses work out. You're already projecting in the exact manner expected!!!!!!!!!!! You are such a fuckin' shithead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Tytpical reaction when you have to try and deal with facts. I said Obama will be another Carter - and he is doing just that

So far $7 trillion has been spent - and Dems want more

The $7 trillion question
Do expansive federal bailout plans doom Americans to an inflationary future?
By Colin Barr, senior writer

December 8, 2008: 12:45 PM ET

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- A billion dollars here, $7 trillion there: How long till Uncle Sam has to cry "uncle?"

For now, frightened investors worldwide continue to gobble up U.S. Treasury bonds, and they aren't much concerned about the impact of all the obligations the U.S. government is taking on to try and head off economic catastrophe.

But the government printing money, lending money to shaky corporations and guaranteeing debt that may never be repaid all could have troubling consequences in the not-too-distant future.

The No. 1 concern: Even if actions taken by the Federal Reserve and the U.S. Treasury succeeds at stabilizing the global financial system, and an economic recovery takes hold, a brutal inflationary spike will be right around the corner.

"Inflation is the 8,000-pound gorilla in the room," said Gary Hager, president of Integrated Wealth Management in New Jersey. "We're sitting in the room with the coffee cups vibrating."

In that environment, long-term interest rates would soar, the value of the U.S. dollar would plummet, policy makers would face a whole new set of challenges.

"Everyone is going to lose something," said Will Hepburn, president and chief investment officer of Hepburn Capital Management in Prescott, Ariz. "The winners will be those who end up losing the least."

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/07/news/economy/bailout.question.fortune/

Psychoblues
01-11-2009, 08:42 AM
See what I mean, shithead?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? He ain't even President yet and you're already casting aspersions and innuendo about his performance as such!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you ever consider getting an education or at least a course or two on discernment and critical thinking?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!??!?!

Psychoblues

red states rule
01-11-2009, 08:45 AM
See what I mean, shithead?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? He ain't even President yet and you're already casting aspersions and innuendo about his performance as such!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you ever consider getting an education or at least a course or two on discernment and critical thinking?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!??!?!

Psychoblues

PB, Reid and Pelosi have already passed bailout bills. Obama was for them. Now Obama wants MORE bailouts. Redis and Pelosi want more bailouts

He is talking about trillion dollar plus deficits for YEARS to come

I am pointing out what he said, what he wants, and Dems said they want

Psychoblues
01-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Those are Bush bills, dumbo. Check the record.

PB, Reid and Pelosi have already passed bailout bills. Obama was for them. Now Obama wants MORE bailouts. Redis and Pelosi want more bailouts

He is talking about trillion dollar plus deficits for YEARS to come

I am pointing out what he said, what he wants, and Dems said they want

Forget that education, dumbo. Throwing good money after bad isn't going to help in your case either!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

red states rule
01-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Those are Bush bills, dumbo. Check the record.

Forget that education, dumbo. Throwing good money after bad isn't going to help in your case either!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Bush bills yes

However, the President can't spend one cent of taxpayer money. Only Congress can

Dems have ran Congress for the last 2 years - and spending and pork have soared

Dems added pork and perks to those bills PB

$7 trillion and keep the books open

Classact
01-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Lifting this country from the cesspool that gwb is leaving will indeed be a very "heavy lift". I have faith in Americans, however, and I suspect that with the leadership of President Barack Hussein Obama we can accomplish all that we can dream despite the disasters of the conservative mismanagement of the last 8 miserable years.

PsychobluesThe Democrats caused the Wall st. breakdown with fanny and freddy, the Democrats caused the war in Iraq by putting American oil and energy resources including nuclear off limits... the Gulf War and Saddam wouldn't have been a UN national interest if we weren't importing oil from the ME and we wouldn't be if we could just exploit domestic energy and develop alternative energy at the same time. So as usual it's all the Democrats fault.