PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming Causes Coldest Weather In 15 Years

red states rule
01-11-2009, 09:31 AM
I remember Al Gore giving one of his first "Global Warming" propaganda speeches several years ago in NYC, on the coldest day in history.

Now would be a good time to make a return vist :laugh2:

Coldest Weather In 15 Years To Hit The Boulevard; Apartment Dwellers Fear Heat Outages

Accuweather and local news affiliates report next weeks highs will struggle to reach 30 degrees as the coldest air since 1994 whips past Stonewall Jackson's monument on the Boulevard. Are you ready for ice, snow and COLD!??! More importantly has your landlord been diligent in maintaining heating equipment in your building? Tell us using the contact form and we'll run a photo of a thermometer in your cold and chilly apartment.

http://www.10sboulevard.com/node/311

emmett
01-11-2009, 10:42 AM
It is not politically correct to bring up Global Warming in the winter RSR. Since people seem to have a problem buying into the Global Warming prop, The Times, and most other pubs don't mention much about it when record cold temps are being recorded and early season blizzards are freezing stuff to the ground.

I on the other hand, being a big believer in Global Warming, since I see it each day, such as this morning when the surface temp in my home town has increased over 8 degrees just in the last one hour, do not buy into the prop that it is not obvious. The Wather Channel just published a story about how a raise in temps could occur today of catastrpohic proportions. They are expecting a gain of 20 degrees by 4:00, Now while I do not trust Al Gore, I do trust them!

red states rule
01-11-2009, 10:47 AM
It is not politically correct to bring up Global Warming in the winter RSR. Since people seem to have a problem buying into the Global Warming prop, The Times, and most other pubs don't mention much about it when record cold temps are being recorded and early season blizzards are freezing stuff to the ground.

I on the other hand, being a big believer in Global Warming, since I see it each day, such as this morning when the surface temp in my home town has increased over 8 degrees just in the last one hour, do not buy into the prop that it is not obvious. The Wather Channel just published a story about how a raise in temps could occur today of catastrpohic proportions. They are expecting a gain of 20 degrees by 4:00, Now while I do not trust Al Gore, I do trust them!

When have I ever been PC Emmett

For those who do believe in global warming - this ones for you

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/2008/oct/01_10_2008_DvTempRank_pg.gif

emmett
01-11-2009, 12:23 PM
One thing is for sure my friend.... you are politically incorrect!!!!!

red states rule
01-11-2009, 12:26 PM
One thing is for sure my friend.... you are politically incorrect!!!!!

and don't you ever forget it! :laugh2:

April15
01-11-2009, 03:31 PM
The scientific minds on this board leave much to b e desired.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 03:31 PM
The scientific minds on this board leave much to b e desired.

Why? Because they dare disagree with Uncle Al? :laugh2:

April15
01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Why? Because they dare disagree with Uncle Al? :laugh2:Al Gore, I believe that is who you mean by uncle al, has nothing to do with the science of GW. The science behind the phenomenon's occurrence is just more than those on this board or most people can understand.

Trigg
01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
-78 in Tok Alaska......place frozen smilie here

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99162528

Right now it's cold in Alaska. Really cold. In the town of Tok, it was 78 degrees below zero yesterday

red states rule
01-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Al Gore, I believe that is who you mean by uncle al, has nothing to do with the science of GW. The science behind the phenomenon's occurrence is just more than those on this board or most people can understand.

Al seems to think he the waorld leading authority on the subject

As far as your statement

31,000 Signatures Prove ‘No Consensus’ About Global Warming

Briefing | By Melinda Zosh | May 22, 2008

Presidential candidate Barack Obama said on Monday that “we have to get used to the idea that we can’t keep our houses at 72, drive our SUVs and eat all we want.” Arthur B. Robinson, president and professor of chemistry at the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, has a different response.

“I don’t want to give up eating all I want because of a failed hypothesis,” said Robinson at the National Press Club here on May 19. Robinson said global warming is not a threat to America. He said that the global temperature increased by just .5 degrees in the last century.

Robinson spoke about his petition signed by 31,000 U.S. scientists who reject the claims that “human release of greenhouse gases is damaging our climate.”

“World temperatures fluctuate all the time,” said Robinson. “The temperature of the Earth has risen many times, far more times than carbon dioxide could drive it. There is no experimental evidence that humans are changing the environment…”

Robinson said that in recent years the U.N. and a group of 600 scientists, representing less than one percent of the scientific population, reached a “consensus” that global warming is happening. This has never been done before, Robinson insists.

Dennis Avery, Director for the Center of Global Food Issues at the Hudson Institute, agrees with Robinson. “Nobody can do science by a committee. You do science by testing,” said Avery. “To me it is appalling that an international organization of the stature of the U.N. would ignore the evidence of past climate changing.”

The signers of Robinson’s petition, including 9,000 Ph.Ds, all have one thing in common. They believe that human rights are being taken away.

http://www.aim.org/briefing/31000-signatures-prove-no-consensus-about-global-warming/

red states rule
01-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Sounds like a great time to take a trip to the beach :laugh2:

April15
01-11-2009, 03:47 PM

And it should be. The equatorial zones are moving out and putting the jjetstream in an inordinate place and pattern.

5stringJeff
01-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Wow. It's cold in winter, therefore global warming is not real. Are you really putting forth such an ignorant argument?

red states rule
01-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Wow. It's cold in winter, therefore global warming is not real. Are you really putting forth such an ignorant argument?

No, I am pointing out the myth of global wamring, and those that keep wanting to spend our tax money to change Earth's climate are full of it

red states rule
01-11-2009, 06:29 PM
No Global Warming Since 1998 As Planet Cools Off
UN scientists admit that natural weather occurrences more powerful than CO2 emissions

Top UN scientists have been forced to admit that natural weather occurrences are having a far greater effect on climate change than CO2 emissions as a continued cooling trend means there has been no global warming since 1998.

But despite overwhelming signs of global cooling - China's coldest winter for 100 years and record snow levels across Northeast America - allied with temperature records showing a decline - global warming advocates still cling to the notion that the world is cooling because of global warming!

"Global temperatures will drop slightly this year as a result of the cooling effect of the La Nina current in the Pacific, UN meteorologists have said," reports the BBC.

"The World Meteorological Organization's secretary-general, Michel Jarraud, told the BBC it was likely that La Nina would continue into the summer."

"This would mean global temperatures have not risen since 1998, prompting some to question climate change theory."

The report admits that La Nina and its counterpart, El Nino, are "two great natural Pacific currents whose effects are so huge they resonate round the world."

http://www.propagandamatrix.com/arti..._cools_off.htm

China battles "coldest winter in 100 years"
Mon Feb 4, 2008 9:28am GMT Email | Print | Share| Single Page[-] Text [+]
(Adds quotes paragraphs 7-9)

By John Ruwitch

CHENZHOU, China, Feb 4 (Reuters) - Millions remained stranded in China on Monday ahead of the biggest holiday of the year as parts of the country suffered their coldest winter in a century.

Freezing weather has killed scores of people and left travellers stranded before the Lunar New Year, or Spring Festival -- the only opportunity many people have to take a holiday all year.

It has also brought China unwanted negative publicity six months before the Summer Olympics in Beijing.

President Hu Jintao chaired an emergency Politburo meeting on Sunday for the second time in a week to discuss rescue efforts.

"We have to be clear-minded that the inclement weather

red states rule
01-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Will someone please punch a hole in the damn ozone layer and get some real global warming to us?

http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/current/acttemp_325x220.jpg

Kathianne
01-15-2009, 08:51 AM
This morning woke up to -23F on thermometer. Wind chill around -45-50. Most schools closed, but not mine.

red states rule
01-15-2009, 08:55 AM
This morning woke up to -23F on thermometer. Wind chill around -45-50. Most schools closed, but not mine.

They say aerosol cans damage the ozone. I took 2 cans of PAM, went outside, held them up, and while spraying up into the atmosphere I screamed "Give me some f****** heat!"

DannyR
01-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Problem with Global Warming is that too many people have no idea what the science actually says.

Its pretty clear to me that human actions have caused some small changes in temperature. If human actions can cause heat islands around cities, pollute rivers, cause dead zones along the coast, why do so many people think pumping tons of pollution into the air will have no impact whatsoever? A volcanic erruption has a proven temperature impact across the globe, and humans pump far more gasses into the air than most volcano's emit, but still people doubt humans impact things at all.

And what are those changes? About a 1 degree warming across the planet. 1 whole degree.

So I pretty much laugh at people who post charts for a single year its colder or warmer as "proof" that global warming is true or false. Thats not science, its propaganda for either side.

I'm in favor of cutting emissions simply because I don't like breathing bad air. When I moved to Atlanta from a more rural area I coughed everytime I went outside. But I'm hardly worried Atlanta is going to be coastal property anytime in my lifetime.

red states rule
01-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Problem with Global Warming is that too many people have no idea what the science actually says.

Its pretty clear to me that human actions have caused some small changes in temperature. If human actions can cause heat islands around cities, pollute rivers, cause dead zones along the coast, why do so many people think pumping tons of pollution into the air will have no impact whatsoever? A volcanic erruption has a proven temperature impact across the globe, and humans pump far more gasses into the air than most volcano's emit, but still people doubt humans impact things at all.

And what are those changes? About a 1 degree warming across the planet. 1 whole degree.

So I pretty much laugh at people who post charts for a single year its colder or warmer as "proof" that global warming is true or false. Thats not science, its propaganda for either side.

I'm in favor of cutting emissions simply because I don't like breathing bad air. When I moved to Atlanta from a more rural area I coughed everytime I went outside. But I'm hardly worried Atlanta is going to be coastal property anytime in my lifetime.

Maybe you missed this post

No Global Warming Since 1998 As Planet Cools Off
UN scientists admit that natural weather occurrences more powerful than CO2 emissions

Top UN scientists have been forced to admit that natural weather occurrences are having a far greater effect on climate change than CO2 emissions as a continued cooling trend means there has been no global warming since 1998.

But despite overwhelming signs of global cooling - China's coldest winter for 100 years and record snow levels across Northeast America - allied with temperature records showing a decline - global warming advocates still cling to the notion that the world is cooling because of global warming!

"Global temperatures will drop slightly this year as a result of the cooling effect of the La Nina current in the Pacific, UN meteorologists have said," reports the BBC.

"The World Meteorological Organization's secretary-general, Michel Jarraud, told the BBC it was likely that La Nina would continue into the summer."

"This would mean global temperatures have not risen since 1998, prompting some to question climate change theory."

The report admits that La Nina and its counterpart, El Nino, are "two great natural Pacific currents whose effects are so huge they resonate round the world."

DannyR
01-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Saw the post, changes very little to what I said. Science behind "Global Warming" is all of 1 degree difference over the last 100 years!

Admit it? We've known this for years. Human CO2 emissions represent only about 5% of all natural causes across the globe. And CO2 as a whole isn't the strongest greenhouse gas by far.

Seems like you are raising a strawman argument here. The real science behind global warming is not that humans are the primary cause of temperature change, only that they do in fact impact global temperature at all, something many refuse to admit.

Its the nuts who run with this and try to enact things like Kyoto that cause problems.

red states rule
01-15-2009, 05:58 PM

Saw the post, changes very little to what I said. Science behind "Global Warming" is all of 1 degree difference over the last 100 years!

Admit it? We've known this for years. Human CO2 emissions represent only about 5% of all natural causes across the globe. And CO2 as a whole isn't the strongest greenhouse gas by far.

Seems like you are raising a strawman argument here. The real science behind global warming is not that humans are the primary cause of temperature change, only that they do in fact impact global temperature at all, something many refuse to admit.

Its the nuts who run with this and try to enact things like Kyoto that cause problems.

I thought the glaciers were melting?????

Bad weather was good for Alaska glaciers
MASS BALANCE: For decades, summer snow loss has exceeded winter snowfall.

By CRAIG MEDRED
cmedred@adn.com

Published: October 13th, 2008 11:08 PM
Last Modified: October 13th, 2008 09:32 AM

Two hundred years of glacial shrinkage in Alaska, and then came the winter and summer of 2007-2008.

Unusually large amounts of winter snow were followed by unusually chill temperatures in June, July and August.

"In mid-June, I was surprised to see snow still at sea level in Prince William Sound," said U.S. Geological Survey glaciologist Bruce Molnia. "On the Juneau Icefield, there was still 20 feet of new snow on the surface of the Taku Glacier in late July. At Bering Glacier, a landslide I am studying, located at about 1,500 feet elevation, did not become snow free until early August.

"In general, the weather this summer was the worst I have seen in at least 20 years."

Never before in the history of a research project dating back to 1946 had the Juneau Icefield witnessed the kind of snow buildup that came this year. It was similar on a lot of other glaciers too.

"It's been a long time on most glaciers where they've actually had positive mass balance," Molnia said.

That's the way a scientist says the glaciers got thicker in the middle.

http://www.adn.com/news/environment/story/555283.html

Kathianne
01-15-2009, 06:04 PM

That I can agree with. The chance that humans have 'an' effect on total contributors, likely. The chance that it 'changes' the overall temps significantly? Not so much. Kyoto was bad law, something Europeans are realizing and not enforcing, while clucking at US.

DannyR
01-15-2009, 06:12 PM

Um, yeah. See your own post:

Two hundred years of glacial shrinkage in Alaska, and then came the winter and summer of 2007-2008.

So we have had a colder year, and even decade. Again, only point I'm trying to make is that looking at such short term results proves or disproves nothing regarding global warming or cooling.

Long term trends over the past century on the other hand are closer to being significant. Global trends are measured not by a few years.

Doesn't mean we need to overreact and tax cow farts. But it does mean we should be aware that we can impact the planet and shouldn't just toss our trash where we please. I'm all in favor of reducing emissions if we can, without breaking the bank. Goodness knows its even possible to make a profit on it, such as with algae farms that can actually use smokestack emissions as fuel.

red states rule
01-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Um, yeah. See your own post:

So we have had a colder year, and even decade. Again, only point I'm trying to make is that looking at such short term results proves or disproves nothing regarding global warming or cooling.

Long term trends over the past century on the other hand are closer to being significant. Global trends are measured not by a few years.

Doesn't mean we need to overreact and tax cow farts. But it does mean we should be aware that we can impact the planet and shouldn't just toss our trash where we please. I'm all in favor of reducing emissions if we can, without breaking the bank. Goodness knows its even possible to make a profit on it, such as with algae farms that can actually use smokestack emissions as fuel.

First global warming needs to be proven

31,000 Signatures Prove ‘No Consensus’ About Global Warming

By Melinda Zosh | May 22, 2008

Presidential candidate Barack Obama said on Monday that “we have to get used to the idea that we can’t keep our houses at 72, drive our SUVs and eat all we want.” Arthur B. Robinson, president and professor of chemistry at the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, has a different response.

“I don’t want to give up eating all I want because of a failed hypothesis,” said Robinson at the National Press Club here on May 19. Robinson said global warming is not a threat to America. He said that the global temperature increased by just .5 degrees in the last century.

Robinson spoke about his petition signed by 31,000 U.S. scientists who reject the claims that “human release of greenhouse gases is damaging our climate.”

“World temperatures fluctuate all the time,” said Robinson. “The temperature of the Earth has risen many times, far more times than carbon dioxide could drive it. There is no experimental evidence that humans are changing the environment…”

Robinson said that in recent years the U.N. and a group of 600 scientists, representing less than one percent of the scientific population, reached a “consensus” that global warming is happening. This has never been done before, Robinson insists.

Dennis Avery, Director for the Center of Global Food Issues at the Hudson Institute, agrees with Robinson. “Nobody can do science by a committee. You do science by testing,” said Avery. “To me it is appalling that an international organization of the stature of the U.N. would ignore the evidence of past climate changing.”

The signers of Robinson’s petition, including 9,000 Ph.Ds, all have one thing in common. They believe that human rights are being taken away.

http://www.aim.org/briefing/31000-signatures-prove-no-consensus-about-global-warming/

DannyR
01-15-2009, 06:44 PM

Why did you post that petition in response to your comment? Petition states only that "human release of greenhouse gases is damaging our climate"

Thats an entirely different argument than if it exists at all. There is very little doubt that it does exist.

Even the author of that petition agrees with me 100%:

Robinson said global warming is not a threat to America. He said that the global temperature increased by just .5 degrees in the last century.

red states rule
01-15-2009, 06:46 PM

Why did you post that petition in response to your comment? Petition states only that "human release of greenhouse gases is damaging our climate"

Thats an entirely different argument than if it exists at all. There is very little doubt that it does exist.

Even the author of that petition agrees with me 100%:

Global warming is a scam - nothing more

For the enviro wackos to think they can alter the Earth's climate is laughable

DannyR
01-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Global warming is a scam - nothing more

For the enviro wackos to think they can alter the Earth's climate is laughable

I think you are confusing the extremes that the "wachos" advocate with the actual science involved.

I have no doubt that global warming exists. No doubt either that humans influence planetary climate. The doubt is in what amount of impact we cause. Right now that represents a fraction of a degree change. We aren't causing hurricanes. We aren't melting the ice caps. But we are changing our planet. Basic physics 101. Its impossible to observe nature without altering it.

The "bad science" is in pushing for things like taxing cow farts and enacting policies like Kyoto to "save" the planet.

The planet doesn't need saving in my opinion. Earth has been far warmer in the past. However its just good policy to try and use renewable energy rather than burning limited resources and not polluting our oceans and skies if we can avoid doing so.

One only has to visit a pristine natural forest vs LA to see the effects humans have on our planet. If the differences can be felt so easily at the city level, why do so many people doubt that the earth as a whole might be impacted, if only slightly. To argue differently is the scam.

PostmodernProphet
01-15-2009, 09:46 PM

global warming is history....we are now in global cooling and we must beware the next ice age....wouldn't it be ironic if the only thing that keeps us from freezing to death is carbon emissions?.......

5stringJeff
01-17-2009, 09:29 AM
I can't think of many stupider arguments than to attempt to use cold winter weather to "disprove" global warming. If you pay attention to meteorologists' reports, you'd know that the proximate cause of the extremely cold weather this week is an arctic air mass that has moved south because of changes in the flow of the jet stream. This is a naturally occuring phenomenon, and has nothing to do with climate change, whether or not climate change is human-caused or not.

red states rule
01-17-2009, 09:30 AM
I can't think of many stupider arguments than to attempt to use cold winter weather to "disprove" global warming. If you pay attention to meteorologists' reports, you'd know that the proximate cause of the extremely cold weather this week is an arctic air mass that has moved south because of changes in the flow of the jet stream. This is a naturally occuring phenomenon, and has nothing to do with climate change, whether or not climate change is human-caused or not.

Eh, I thought that is what I was saying Jeff. Global warming does not exist, and the weather we are having is normal

April15
01-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Now the New York Times has a front page item on GW.

Warming in Antarctica Looks Certain

* Sign In to E-Mail or Save This
* Print
* Reprints
o Linkedin
o Digg
o Facebook
o Mixx
o Yahoo! Buzz
o Permalink

Article Tools Sponsored By
By KENNETH CHANG
Published: January 21, 2009

Antarctica is warming.
Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image
NASA

An illustration that depicts the warming that scientists have determined has occurred in West Antarctica during the last 50 years. The dark red shows the area that has warmed the most.
Related
Analysis Finds Large Antarctic Area Has Melted (May 16, 2007)
Op-Ed Contributor: Cold, Hard Facts (July 27, 2006)
Dot Earth: Antarctica: New Evidence of Western Warming (January 21, 2009)
Times Topics: Global Warming
Earth in Flux: An Antarctic Ice Shelf Crumbles (March 25, 2008)
The Melting (Freezing) of Antarctica; Deciphering Contradictory Climate Patterns Is Largely a Matter of Ice (April 2, 2002)
Ozone Hole Is Now Seen as a Cause for Antarctic Cooling (Mary 3, 2002)

That is the conclusion of scientists analyzing half a century of temperatures on the continent, and the findings may help resolve a climate enigma at the bottom of the planet.

While some regions of Antarctica, particularly the peninsula the stretches toward South America, have warmed rapidly in recent decades, weather stations including the one at the South Pole have recorded a cooling trend. That ran counter to the forecasts of computer climate models, and global warming skeptics have pointed to Antarctica in questioning the reliability of the models.

In the new study, scientists took into account satellite measurements to interpolate temperatures in the vast areas between the sparse weather stations.

“We now see warming is taking place on all seven of the earth’s continents in accord with what models predict as a response to greenhouse gases,” said Eric J. Steig, a professor of space sciences at the University of Washington in Seattle and the lead author of a paper appearing Thursday in the journal Nature.

“We’re highly confident our calculation is very good,” Dr. Steig said.

Because of the climate record is still short, more work needs to be done to determine how much of the warming results from natural climate swings and how much from the warming effects of carbon dioxide released by the burning of fossil fuels, Dr. Steig said.

He and another author, Drew T. Shindell of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York, presented the findings at a news conference on Wednesday.

From 1957 through 2006, temperatures across Antarctica rose an average of 0.18 degrees Fahrenheit per decade, comparable to the warming that has been measured globally.

red states rule
01-21-2009, 05:09 PM
There seems to be different stories on the same subject

Antarctic Deep Sea Gets Colder
ScienceDaily (Apr. 23, 2008) — The Antarctic deep sea is getting colder, which might stimulate the circulation of the oceanic water masses. This is the first result of the Polarstern expedition of the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research in the Helmholtz Association that has just ended in Punta Arenas/Chile. At the same time satellite images from the Antarctic summer have shown the largest sea-ice extent on record. In the coming years autonomous measuring buoys will be used to find out whether the cold Antarctic summer induces a new trend or was only a "slip“.

Under the direction of Dr. Eberhard Fahrbach, Oceanographer at the Alfred Wegener Institute, 58 scientists from ten countries were on board the research vessel Polarstern in the Southern Ocean from 6 February until 16 April, 2008. They studied ocean currents as well as the distribution of temperature, salt content and trace substances in Antarctic sea water. "We want to investigate the role of the Southern Ocean for past, present and future climate,“ chief scientist Fahrbach said. The sinking water masses in the Southern Ocean are part of the overturning in this region and thus play a major role in global climate. "While the last Arctic summer was the warmest on record, we had a cold summer with a sea-ice maximum in the Antarctic. The expedition shall form the basis for understanding the opposing developments in the Arctic and in the Antarctic,“ Fahrbach said.

In the frame of the GEOTRACES project the scientists found the smallest iron concentrations ever measured in the ocean. As iron is an essential trace element for algal growth, and algae assimilate CO2 from the air, the concentration of iron is an important parameter against the background of the discussion to what extent the oceans may act as a carbon sink.

As the oceanic changes only become visible after several years and also differ spatially, the data achieved during the Polarstern expeditions are not sufficient to discern long-term developments. The data gap can only be closed with the aid of autonomous observing systems, moored at the seafloor or drifting freely, that provide oceanic data for several years. "As a contribution to the Southern Ocean Observation System we deployed, in international cooperation, 18 moored observing stations, and we recovered 20. With a total of 65 floating systems that can also collect data under the sea ice and are active for up to five years we constructed a unique and extensive measuring network,“ Fahrbach said.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080421111622.htm