PDA

View Full Version : The End of White America?

red states rule
01-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Check out this cover and story in The Atlantic.

And it is said only Republicans play the race card

http://www.theatlantic.com/images/printcover/200901_toc.jpg

snip

As white men of comfort and privilege living in an age of limited social mobility, of course, Stoddard and the Buchanans in his audience had nothing literal to fear. Their sense of dread hovered somewhere above the concerns of everyday life. It was linked less to any immediate danger to their class’s political and cultural power than to the perceived fraying of the fixed, monolithic identity of whiteness that sewed together the fortunes of the fair-skinned.

From the hysteria over Eastern European immigration to the vibrant cultural miscegenation of the Harlem Renaissance, it is easy to see how this imagined worldwide white kinship might have seemed imperiled in the 1920s. There’s no better example of the era’s insecurities than the 1923 Supreme Court case United States v. Bhagat Singh Thind, in which an Indian American veteran of World War I sought to become a naturalized citizen by proving that he was Caucasian. The Court considered new anthropological studies that expanded the definition of the Caucasian race to include Indians, and the justices even agreed that traces of “Aryan blood” coursed through Thind’s body. But these technicalities availed him little. The Court determined that Thind was not white “in accordance with the understanding of the common man” and therefore could be excluded from the “statutory category” of whiteness. Put another way: Thind was white, in that he was Caucasian and even Aryan. But he was not white in the way Stoddard or Buchanan were white.

The ’20s debate over the definition of whiteness—a legal category? a commonsense understanding? a worldwide civilization?—took place in a society gripped by an acute sense of racial paranoia, and it is easy to regard these episodes as evidence of how far we have come. But consider that these anxieties surfaced when whiteness was synonymous with the American mainstream, when threats to its status were largely imaginary. What happens once this is no longer the case—when the fears of Lothrop Stoddard and Tom Buchanan are realized, and white people actually become an American minority?

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200901/end-of-whiteness

emmett
01-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Check out this cover and story in The Atlantic.

And it is said only Republicans play the race card

http://www.theatlantic.com/images/printcover/200901_toc.jpg

snip

As white men of comfort and privilege living in an age of limited social mobility, of course, Stoddard and the Buchanans in his audience had nothing literal to fear. Their sense of dread hovered somewhere above the concerns of everyday life. It was linked less to any immediate danger to their class’s political and cultural power than to the perceived fraying of the fixed, monolithic identity of whiteness that sewed together the fortunes of the fair-skinned.

From the hysteria over Eastern European immigration to the vibrant cultural miscegenation of the Harlem Renaissance, it is easy to see how this imagined worldwide white kinship might have seemed imperiled in the 1920s. There’s no better example of the era’s insecurities than the 1923 Supreme Court case United States v. Bhagat Singh Thind, in which an Indian American veteran of World War I sought to become a naturalized citizen by proving that he was Caucasian. The Court considered new anthropological studies that expanded the definition of the Caucasian race to include Indians, and the justices even agreed that traces of “Aryan blood” coursed through Thind’s body. But these technicalities availed him little. The Court determined that Thind was not white “in accordance with the understanding of the common man” and therefore could be excluded from the “statutory category” of whiteness. Put another way: Thind was white, in that he was Caucasian and even Aryan. But he was not white in the way Stoddard or Buchanan were white.

The ’20s debate over the definition of whiteness—a legal category? a commonsense understanding? a worldwide civilization?—took place in a society gripped by an acute sense of racial paranoia, and it is easy to regard these episodes as evidence of how far we have come. But consider that these anxieties surfaced when whiteness was synonymous with the American mainstream, when threats to its status were largely imaginary. What happens once this is no longer the case—when the fears of Lothrop Stoddard and Tom Buchanan are realized, and white people actually become an American minority?

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200901/end-of-whiteness

What happens once this is no longer the case—when the fears of Lothrop Stoddard and Tom Buchanan are realized, and white people actually become an American minority?

Immagration out of hand, bailouts of housing and banking, automakers falerting, infringements of civil liberty reach all time high, freedom gone, companies start mass producing pants that are designed to ride down around knees.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Immagration out of hand, bailouts of housing and banking, automakers falerting, infringements of civil liberty reach all time high, freedom gone, companies start mass producing pants that are designed to ride down around knees.

It is also known as utopia - evey liberals dream

crin63
01-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Personally the color of someones skin doesn't matter to me at all. As long as they love America and our Constitution the way the founding fathers envisioned them. I guess that leaves most liberals out and all leftists. I am willing to grant that liberals like psycho and a couple others really love America. In their own misguided and warped way. :coffee:

red states rule
01-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Personally the color of someones skin doesn't matter to me at all. As long as they love America and our Constitution the way the founding fathers envisioned them. I guess that leaves most liberals out and all leftists. I am willing to grant that liberals like psycho and a couple others really love America. In their own misguided and warped way. :coffee:

Most liberals, not all, see everything through the lens of color, race, gender, and political affiliation

Personally I see most racism, not all, comes from the left

Yurt
01-11-2009, 04:26 PM
so if the next president is white, is that the end of black america?

red states rule
01-11-2009, 04:27 PM
so if the next president is white, is that the end of black america?

No, just that America is still a racist nation