PDA

View Full Version : Staged Racism By ABC - And They call It News

red states rule
01-11-2009, 01:59 PM
In the liberal media, if you can't find the news you want - go ahead and create it

Confronting Racism in America (ABC Liberal barfer)
ABC News.com

1-6-09 | ERIC HANAN and YARDENA SCHWARTZ

Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 10:30:15 PM by wac3rd

It was 6:30 a.m. on a Friday in downtown Linden, N.J., when two Hispanic day laborers were struggling with their English as they tried to order a coffee and a sandwich at a deli.

But rather than getting served, they got a string of insults hurled at them from the clerk behind the counter. Their broken-English request for food was met with a barrage of racist remarks, including, "Get back in your pickup truck with the rest of your family."

This scene wasn't real. It was all part of a "What Would You Do?" experiment designed to find out what action, if any, bystanders would take after watching the men's exchange with the clerk.

Watch the story on "What Would You Do?" Tuesday at 10 p.m. ET

Seth Perlman, the manager of All Aboard Bagel and Deli, agreed to ABC News' using his business to test people's reactions to bigotry. The racist cashier standing next to him was an actor hired by ABC News, as were his victims.

Here in this working-class neighborhood 15 miles west of New York City, people have a reputation for tolerance. But, sometimes, the reactions were far less open-minded than one would expect.

In the face of blatant discrimination, many people seemed immobilized, some too stunned to react. After being turned away by the cashier, one of the day laborers asked a nearby customer for help. She suggested that he try another store down the street. Many other customers had a similar reaction, quietly walking away after being solicited to help.

Although some customers seemed indifferent, others were quite willing to let everyone know exactly how they felt.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2160092/posts

April15
01-11-2009, 03:26 PM
In the liberal media, if you can't find the news you want - go ahead and create it

Confronting Racism in America (ABC Liberal barfer)
ABC News.com

1-6-09 | ERIC HANAN and YARDENA SCHWARTZ

Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 10:30:15 PM by wac3rd

It was 6:30 a.m. on a Friday in downtown Linden, N.J., when two Hispanic day laborers were struggling with their English as they tried to order a coffee and a sandwich at a deli.

But rather than getting served, they got a string of insults hurled at them from the clerk behind the counter. Their broken-English request for food was met with a barrage of racist remarks, including, "Get back in your pickup truck with the rest of your family."

This scene wasn't real. It was all part of a "What Would You Do?" experiment designed to find out what action, if any, bystanders would take after watching the men's exchange with the clerk.

Watch the story on "What Would You Do?" Tuesday at 10 p.m. ET

Seth Perlman, the manager of All Aboard Bagel and Deli, agreed to ABC News' using his business to test people's reactions to bigotry. The racist cashier standing next to him was an actor hired by ABC News, as were his victims.

Here in this working-class neighborhood 15 miles west of New York City, people have a reputation for tolerance. But, sometimes, the reactions were far less open-minded than one would expect.

In the face of blatant discrimination, many people seemed immobilized, some too stunned to react. After being turned away by the cashier, one of the day laborers asked a nearby customer for help. She suggested that he try another store down the street. Many other customers had a similar reaction, quietly walking away after being solicited to help.

Although some customers seemed indifferent, others were quite willing to let everyone know exactly how they felt.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2160092/posts

They must have been republicans out for a ghetto walk!

red states rule
01-11-2009, 03:28 PM
They must have been republicans out for a ghetto walk!

or more actors hired by the liberal media to create their "news story"

If the liberal medai and Dems can't find an issue to whine about, they will make one up

April15
01-11-2009, 03:29 PM
or more actors hired by the liberal media to create their "news story"

If the liberal medai and Dems can't find an issue to whine about, they will make one upAre you this miserable all the time?

red states rule
01-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Are you this miserable all the time?

More like holding my side laughinf as I watch the liberal media manufacture their news

and people like you lap it up like a dog at the water bowel

April15
01-11-2009, 03:38 PM
More like holding my side laughinf as I watch the liberal media manufacture their news

and people like you lap it up like a dog at the water bowelJust as I suspected, miserable.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Just as I suspected, miserable.

So you think this is news? Actors trying to bait people into saying something racist?

I would expect something like this from Jesse Jackson ar Rev Al - but a network news department?

Trigg
01-11-2009, 03:40 PM
The thing I've always found funny about these kinds of shows, Oprah used to do them also, is they always go into majority white neighborhoods.

I've never seen them put a white/Asian/Hispanic in a majority black neighborhood.

Never seen them put a white/black/Hispanic in a majority Asian neighborhood.

Never seen them put a black/white/Asian in a majority Hispanic neighborhood.

Why is that, do you suppose????????

Answer: They're afraid they'll find racism in those neighborhoods also, and they just can't face the fact that someone other than whitie is racist.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 03:42 PM
The thing I've always found funny about these kinds of shows, Oprah used to do them also, is they always go into majority white neighborhoods.

I've never seen them put a white/Asian/Hispanic in a majority black neighborhood.

Never seen them put a white/black/Hispanic in a majority Asian neighborhood.

Never seen them put a black/white/Asian in a majority Hispanic neighborhood.

Why is that, do you suppose????????

Answer: They're afraid they'll find racism in those neighborhoods also, and they just can't face the fact that someone other than whitie is racist.

For the most part. racism comes mostly from the left. Look at the racism that comes from the left toward black conservatives

April15
01-11-2009, 03:59 PM
It is America that is racist. If you live here you are! It is almost a basic instinct. I was raised to be afraid of mexicans and black people. The church was very instrumental in that indoctrination.
Once I met a black person and found out just how wrong the stereotypes are it was my epiphany. Now I find that race is used by just about everybody in one way or another to either gain or get out of something.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 04:00 PM
It is America that is racist. If you live here you are! It is almost a basic instinct. I was raised to be afraid of mexicans and black people. The church was very instrumental in that indoctrination.
Once I met a black person and found out just how wrong the stereotypes are it was my epiphany. Now I find that race is used by just about everybody in one way or another to either gain or get out of something.

Maybe you are not up on current events

This racist country just elected its first black President

Noir
01-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Meh, everyones a little bit racist, no matter what anybody says.

Also, as far as I can gather this was done to see how the normal folk in the shop would react, and it seems that they all failed to stand up for these men if it were a real event, which I find shocking, cus I knwo for a fact I would have.

Kathianne
01-11-2009, 04:11 PM

I'd say it was your parents that were racist. Mine didn't teach me to hate anyone based on color or religion, quite the contrary. As for me, I don't make any judgments about 'people', based on my interactions with one person. What would make you think from one you could extrapolate to the group? I'd say your parents' lessons took, just not the way they intended.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Meh, everyones a little bit racist, no matter what anybody says.

Also, as far as I can gather this was done to see how the normal folk in the shop would react, and it seems that they all failed to stand up for these men if it were a real event, which I find shocking, cus I knwo for a fact I would have.

It was a staged event Noir - and passed off as news. I thought the nightly news was to tell the viewer who, what, where, when, why, and how

emmett
01-11-2009, 04:19 PM

That is a very interesting analogy. You are also absolutely correct, starting with the way Liberals managed to court them, using lies and deception, and sell them a bill of goods so as to use their voting block to assist in gaining power. All of this of course so they could push an agenda that really when examined closely does not even begin to address their true needs.

Hipanics are next of course, Asians, etc,... Anyone but a white conservative is welcome in the democratic party and soliticited by the left. Realizing of course that white males have no say so at all anymore, and are a minority, gives them great solice!

The last of the great white conservative Democrats, Zell Miller, once said when questioned by an Atlanta reporter, "it's more important to do what is right than to gamble with your conscience and lie, so as to promote an agenda."

I cannot wait until four years from now to hear the answers to questions that will be posed to BO about why he was not able to bring prosperity and riches to the poor. The creative ways he will be able to blame that on Republicans will be interesting. Democratic Senate, House and President....... ready.... set..... GO!

red states rule
01-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I cannot wait until four years from now to hear the answers to questions that will be posed to BO about why he was not able to bring prosperity and riches to the poor. The creative ways he will be able to blame that on Republicans will be interesting. Democratic Senate, House and President....... ready.... set..... GO!

Pick you excuse

1) It's Bush's fault

2) The Repubican minority would not work with us

3) The programs were not funded enough

4) The voters were not patient enough

5) Racism against President Obama

6) American's are not nuanced enough to truly appreciate a benevolent Marxist.

Noir
01-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Who- normal folk in a shop.
What- play out an openly racist scene.
Why- to see how normal folk react to this scene.
When- Last Friday.
Where- In a deli in NJ
How- by using actors to playout the situation.

I can see what you are trying to say, however what is more important here is how the people reacted, not who was conducting the experiement, and the results were horrid, as you must surly agree.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Who- normal folk in a shop.
What- play out an openly racist scene.
Why- to see how normal folk react to this scene.
When- Last Friday.
Where- In a deli in NJ
How- by using actors to playout the situation.

I can see what you are trying to say, however what is more important here is how the people reacted, not who was conducting the experiement, and the results were horrid, as you must surly agree.

If the liberal media can't find something to bash America on - now they will create the story

Like NBC and the exploding gas tanks

It is like putting $100 bill on the floor and watching people pick ot up and keep it. Then reporting how America is a dishonest country and its citizens are thieves

Noir
01-11-2009, 04:55 PM
If the liberal media can't find something to bash America on - now they will create the story

Like NBC and the exploding gas tanks

It is like putting $100 bill on the floor and watching people pick ot up and keep it. Then reporting how America is a dishonest country and its citizens are thieves

What differnce does it make if it was ABC setting the scene, or a group of social scientists, or some crazy rich guy who wants to spend his money on such experiements?

The important bit is the results, and the results gave a very poor showing of the people who were in the shop, and I hope they feel ashamed over it.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 04:57 PM
What differnce does it make if it was ABC setting the scene, or a group of social scientists, or some crazy rich guy who wants to spend his money on such experiements?

The important bit is the results, and the results gave a very poor showing of the people who were in the shop, and I hope they feel ashamed over it.

I see it as staged stunt to get the results the liberal media wanted to get - not news

Liberals keep pushing the talking point how America is a racist country - even after this racist country elected its first black President

If anyone should be ashamed, it should be ABC news for a politically motivated stunt

Noir
01-11-2009, 05:25 PM
I see it as staged stunt to get the results the liberal media wanted to get - not news

Liberals keep pushing the talking point how America is a racist country - even after this racist country elected its first black President

If anyone should be ashamed, it should be ABC news for a politically motivated stunt

No the people in the shop should be ashamed, what on earth were they thinking just standing there watching it happen?

As for 'the media getting what they wanted' it is only through the lack of action from these idiots that the media that they have so called 'got want they wanted' if the retards in the shop had acted like decent human beings then there'd be no such story.

Now obviously this has to be put into context, and it is I only a handful of people in a shop, and I believe it is in no way representitive of the American population as a whole, but it's a sorry state to hear that people just stood by and did nothing.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Noir, if you want to see REAL racism, look no further then the Democrat party.

Liberals do not hesitate to show their racism when it is directed at black conservatives

Case in point, the 2006 Senate race in MD

The liberal media, of course, ignored it

The Democrats in Maryland have decided that they like racism, especially racist stereotypes such as slave gibberish and minstrel-show caricatures of African-Americans, and have publicly come out in favor of their use in political campaigns. While such imagery would get a Republican immediately denounced as a hatemonger, Democrats feel free to use them as long as their targets are conservative African-Americans, such as Michael Steele:

Black Democratic leaders in Maryland say that racially tinged attacks against Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele in his bid for the U.S. Senate are fair because he is a conservative Republican.
Such attacks against the first black man to win a statewide election in Maryland include pelting him with Oreo cookies during a campaign appearance, calling him an "Uncle Tom" and depicting him as a black-faced minstrel on a liberal Web log. ...

"There is a difference between pointing out the obvious and calling someone names," said a campaign spokesman for Kweisi Mfume, a Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate and former president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

State Sen. Lisa A. Gladden, a black Baltimore Democrat, said she does not expect her party to pull any punches, including racial jabs at Mr. Steele, in the race to replace retiring Democratic U.S. Sen. Paul S. Sarbanes.

"Party trumps race, especially on the national level," she said. "If you are bold enough to run, you have to take whatever the voters are going to give you. It's democracy, perhaps at its worse, but it is democracy."

Delegate Salima Siler Marriott, a black Baltimore Democrat, said Mr. Steele invites comparisons to a slave who loves his cruel master or a cookie that is black on the outside and white inside because his conservative political philosophy is, in her view, anti-black.

One of the excuses used by these Democrats is that Steele refused to object when Governor Robert Ehrlich met with supporters at a club that has no black members in its history. The Elkridge Club held a fundraiser attended by Ehrlich and widely decried by the Democrats as an indication of GOP pandering to racist whites in the south. They failed to mention, however, that several Democrats have made their own use of the Elkridge Club, including the brother and chief political advisor to their gubernatorial candidate to replace Ehrlich.

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/005716.php

Noir
01-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Indeed, there are racist in all walks of life, liberal, republican, white, black, yellow blah blah blah. That's no surprise.

What is surprising (atleast to me, but maybe I'm just naive) is that not one person in this mock tried to stand up for those men, and that if that had been a real situation not one of them would have.

Do you not also look upon that in horror and disgust?

red states rule
01-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Indeed, there are racist in all walks of life, liberal, republican, white, black, yellow blah blah blah. That's no surprise.

What is surprising (atleast to me, but maybe I'm just naive) is that not one person in this mock tried to stand up for those men, and that if that had been a real situation not one of them would have.

Do you not also look upon that in horror and disgust?

We only see what ABC wants us to see

It is like LTE to the NY Times, one would think 100% of the readers hate Pres Bush and Republicans - and are in love with Obama and the Dems

Noir, according to the liberal media and Dems, only Republicans are racists, and black conservtaives are Uncle Toms. I have been told this by liberal friends of mine

Noir
01-11-2009, 05:58 PM
We only see what ABC wants us to see

It is like LTE to the NY Times, one would think 100% of the readers hate Pres Bush and Republicans - and are in love with Obama and the Dems

Noir, according to the liberal media and Dems, only Republicans are racists, and black conservtaives are Uncle Toms. I have been told this by liberal friends of mine

Well the fact is you wouldn't have seen 'what ABC want you to see' if these people were not such if idiots.

I have asked a few times if you do not also find their lack of action horrid, could you please clarify that you do.

As for tryig to make repubs look bad, is NJ a heavily repub state? Did they at any point present the folk in The deli as repubs or as just Americans?

red states rule
01-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Well the fact is you wouldn't have seen 'what ABC want you to see' if these people were not such if idiots.

I have asked a few times if you do not also find their lack of action horrid, could you please clarify that you do.

As for tryig to make repubs look bad, is NJ a heavily repub state? Did they at any point present the folk I. The deli as repubs or as just Americans?

NJ is a very liberal state. Blue as Calf

Noir I do not like any type of racism. It is ugly. What is even worse, is staged racism for the sake of a manufactured news story

What I find amazing, is the party that champions human rights, equal rights, and claims it wants to stamp out racism, is a very racist group towards those they consider traitors to their race

Kathianne
01-11-2009, 06:03 PM

As for tryig to make repubs look bad, is NJ a heavily repub state? Did they at any point present the folk I. The deli as repubs or as just Americans?

NJ is quite the blue state, Democrat if you will. The idea of getting between a racist ranting and possible illegals, is not something one thinks about during a lunch outing. There may have been something 'too staged' about the scenario, though from what I've read here, seems some did advise them of a restaurant down the way. Good advice, who would want to give that place any money if they treat customers that way?

On the other hand, they didn't, did they? That is the problem, trying to create the atmosphere they want. That is what is wrong here.

Noir
01-11-2009, 06:09 PM
NJ is a very liberal state. Blue as Calf

Noir I do not like any type of racism. It is ugly. What is even worse, is staged racism for the sake of a manufactured news story

What I find amazing, is the party that champions human rights, equal rights, and claims it wants to stamp out racism, is a very racist group towards those they consider traitors to their race

So they staged it in one of the most liberal states and yet they are repub bashing?

And it doesn't matter who carried out the experienent, it could have easily been social scientists and then have it reported by ABC the fact that ABC reported it and carried it out. The results are still the same, and it's the results that counts

red states rule
01-11-2009, 06:11 PM
So they staged it in one of the most liberal states and yet they are repub bashing?

And it doesn't matter who carried out the experienent, it could have easily been social scientists and then have it reported by ABC the fact that ABC reported it and carried it out. The results are still the same, and it's the results that counts

Set the conditions, so you get the desired results.

The liberal media have been doing that for as long as I have been following politics - more then 30 years

PostmodernProphet
01-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Are you this miserable all the time?

only when brainless liberals are running our country......

Noir
01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Set the conditions, so you get the desired results.

The liberal media have been doing that for as long as I have been following politics - more then 30 years

So If you'd have been there you would have done the same as them? I hope not.

Fact is the people in that deli had a choice, they all made the wrong one.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 06:26 PM
So If you'd have been there you would have done the same as them? I hope not.

Fact is the people in that deli had a choice, they all made the wrong one.

Well Noir, you are wrong

snip

Others grew so angry that they left the store in tears and vowed never to return. One customer was so shocked by the clerk's behavior that he became determined to set him straight.

Over the course of the "What Would You Do?" experiment, 88 people came into the store. Of those, 49 didn't get involved at all and nine sided with the cashier. Thirty customers came to the defense of the day laborers.

http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/Story?id=6551048&page=3

But again, it was staged and set up to try and bait people

I hope the idiot ower of the deli has a drop off in his business for his stupidity in allowing ABC to use his business as a social lab

Noir
01-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Well Noir, you are wrong

snip

Others grew so angry that they left the store in tears and vowed never to return. One customer was so shocked by the clerk's behavior that he became determined to set him straight.

Over the course of the "What Would You Do?" experiment, 88 people came into the store. Of those, 49 didn't get involved at all and nine sided with the cashier. Thirty customers came to the defense of the day laborers.

I hope the idiot ower of the deli has a drop off in his business for his stupidity in allowing ABC to use his business as a social lab

Well rsr no such stats were in the OP, and they do put a much more positive spin on it all, though many still did little it is good to here that 30 stood up for the men. I also find it quite sweetly ironic that to get a more positive spin you quoted the ABC website, funny no?

Ps. What the fuck? Nine sided with the cashier?!?!?

red states rule
01-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Well rsr no such stats were in the OP, and they do put a much more positive spin on it all, though many still did little it is good to here that 30 stood up for the men. I also find it quite sweetly ironic that to get a more positive spin you quoted the ABC website, funny no?

I had to dig for the numbers

ABC put them at the bottom og page 2 and top of page 3 on their website

Seems they wanted to highlight their desired results

Most people would not read the entire 3 page article

Being a college boy it should not be to hard to do a search and find the article

Noir
01-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I had to dig for the numbers

ABC put them at the bottom og page 2 and top of page 3 on their website

Seems they wanted to highlight their desired results

Most people would not read the entire 3 page article

Being a college boy it should not be to hard to do a search and find the article

It has to be said the pages are very short, I don't know why they don't have it all on one page. Must be for advert revenue, anyone who did not go to page 2 or 3 clearly had very little interest in the story.

Also note on page 1 the first guy they mentioned to side with the cashier was black, who'da thunk it?

red states rule
01-11-2009, 06:52 PM
It has to be said the pages are very sort, I don't know why try don have it all on one page. Must be for advert revenue, anyone who did not go to page 2 or 3 clearly had very little interest in the story.

Also note on page 1 the first guy they mentioned to side with the cashier was black, who'da thunk it?

I was shocked to. According to the left, only white conservatives are racist

Trigg
01-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Well Noir, you are wrong

snip

Interresting find, it doesn't surprise me that they hid it on the last page.

The fact remains they set these things up in majority white areas in order to showcase how racist whites are. I will have no respect for these types of social experiments until they start staging them in majority ethnic neighborhoods.

Until then it's simply creative editing and white bashing.

red states rule
01-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Interresting find, it doesn't surprise me that they hid it on the last page.

The fact remains they set these things up in majority white areas in order to showcase how racist whites are. I will have no respect for these types of social experiments until they start staging them in majority ethnic neighborhoods.

Until then it's simply creative editing and white bashing.

It was staged as much as a WWE wrestling match. The outcome was known before the show started

DragonStryk72
01-12-2009, 10:22 AM
I would have said, "It's 6:30 in the fuckin' morning in Jersey. They're fucking lucky that's as much as was yelled at them. Now get through the line, so the cashier can start in on the Irish bashing!".

Now, understand, I'm not racist, mainly I'm just tired of hearing about it one way or the other. There is real racism in the world, places like Darfur, like South Africa, and others where it is actually a problem. Taking some verbal abuse from a cashier? That's not epidemic racism, that's just people being assholes.

We would be a far less racist country these days if we would seriously just all shut the hell up about it, and get on with our lives.

For those that do in fact believe that racism is just as bad today as it was then, you are saying the MLK and Malcolm X failed utterly in their message, because that's what it means if things truly haven't changed at all.

April15
01-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I'd say it was your parents that were racist. Mine didn't teach me to hate anyone based on color or religion, quite the contrary. As for me, I don't make any judgments about 'people', based on my interactions with one person. What would make you think from one you could extrapolate to the group? I'd say your parents' lessons took, just not the way they intended.It was the era that I was raised in along with parents who believed what the church proclaimed.
The western part of America is probably more racist than the rest of the nation. That is just my opinion.
By the way you are correct.