PDA

View Full Version : Obama Treasury Sec Did Not Pay Taxes

red states rule
01-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Well, another liberal did not pay his "fair share" of taxes

Why am I not surprised?

Official: Geithner did not pay personal taxes

WASHINGTON (AP) — Treasury Secretary-designee Timothy Geithner is meeting with senators to discuss why he failed to pay personal taxes and check the immigration status of a housekeeper.

An official with President-elect Barack Obama's transition office says Geithner answered senators' questions during a meeting he requested Tuesday. The person requested anonymity because the source is not authorized to speak publicly on Geithner's situation.

Obama's transition team was expected to release a statement about the issue later Tuesday.

Obama named the 47-year-old Geithner as his pick for treasury secretary in November, citing as a top priority tackling the nation's financial crisis.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-01-13-geither-questioned_N.htm

Joe Steel
01-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Well, another liberal did not pay his "fair share" of taxes

What's your point?

red states rule
01-13-2009, 06:12 PM
What's your point?

libs always demand WE pay our fair share in taxes, but have a problem with paying THEIR fair share

Joe Steel
01-13-2009, 06:15 PM
libs always demand WE pay our fair share in taxes, but have a problem with paying THEIR fair share

The guy says it was a mistake. Does making a relatively small mistake make him unfit for public office?

red states rule
01-13-2009, 06:17 PM
The guy says it was a mistake. Does making a relatively small mistake make him unfit for public office?

That seems to be the running escuse with libs like Charlie Rangel, Keith Overbite and others who are the most vocal when demanding WE pay our taxes (and are demanding we pay more)

But here is an interesting report that shows libs do cheat on their taxes

Liberals Like To Cheat On Their Taxes, Collect Welfare Illegally
By Rob on June 2, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Liberals love to advocate government policies that cost lots and lots of tax dollars. But when it comes to paying in those tax dollars in order to fund said policies it would seem as though most liberals are in favor of fudging and not paying their fair share.

They’re also, apparently, in favor of taking more than their fair share in entitlements too:

Is it OK to cheat on your taxes? A total of 57 percent of those who described themselves as “very liberal” said yes in response to the World Values Survey, compared with only 20 percent of those who are “very conservative.” When Pew Research asked whether it was “morally wrong” to cheat Uncle Sam, 86 percent of conservatives agreed, compared with only 68 percent of liberals.

Ponder this scenario, offered by the National Cultural Values Survey: “You lose your job. Your friend’s company is looking for someone to do temporary work. They are willing to pay the person in cash to avoid taxes and allow the person to still collect unemployment. What would you do?”

Almost half, or 49 percent, of self-described progressives would go along with the scheme, but only 21 percent of conservatives said they would.

When the World Values Survey asked a similar question, the results were largely the same: Those who were very liberal were much more likely to say it was all right to get welfare benefits you didn’t deserve.

The World Values Survey found that those on the left were also much more likely to say it is OK to buy goods that you know are stolen. Studies have also found that those on the left were more likely to say it was OK to drink a can of soda in a store without paying for it and to avoid the truth while negotiating the price of a car.

Liberalism is all about the redistribution of wealth. Rather than thinking that everyone should earn their own wealth, liberals think that those who earn most of the wealth should have that wealth taken away and redistributed to those who don’t earn it.

Given that, it’s not surprising that these same liberals would have such a cavalier attitude toward other people’s money.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/liberals_like_to_cheat_on_their_taxes_collect_welf are_illegally/

darin
01-13-2009, 06:21 PM
I think it's a non-story. Millions of Very rich folk often get behind or lose track of tax money. Bottom line is, the guy paid what he owed. Wanna attack somebody? Why not the guy's accountant?

:D

red states rule
01-13-2009, 06:24 PM
I think it's a non-story. Millions of Very rich folk often get behind or lose track of tax money. Bottom line is, the guy paid what he owed. Wanna attack somebody? Why not the guy's accountant?

:D

and how many Republicans who made the same error were prevented from taking jobs in the government?

Just trying to be consistent - something Dems never do

Charlie Rangel has been busted several times - and he will still write the tax laws we have to obey

stephanie
01-13-2009, 06:24 PM
wow, they can MAKE MISTAKES and not go to jail and still get elected to office..

I wonder if Wesley Snipes voted for the Democrats?

this is becoming a real friggin joke and totally disgusting...

Our government is totally our of control..

red states rule
01-13-2009, 06:29 PM
wow, they can MAKE MISTAKES and not go to jail and still get elected to office..

I wonder if Wesley Snipes voted for the Democrats?

this is becoming a real friggin joke and totally disgusting...

Our government is totally our of control..

This will be typical for what we will see over the next 4 years

namvet
01-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Treasury Secretary owes back tax's.....sounds like a comic punchline.

from 2001 to 2004 ???? no hurry here

why is it brought up now????

bookkeeper. who's he??? don't say. gotta be his fault.

investigate

sounds like someone took a dump and forgot to flush

Yurt
01-14-2009, 10:07 AM
doesn't look good at all for obama, this guy is dirty and is engaged in the same politics he and the dems accused the repubs of....i'm getting sick of politics..

Geithner’s tax problems surfaced publicly Tuesday – but Obama’s team has known about them for at least six weeks, waging a behind-the-scenes campaign to push him through the Senate Finance Committee, despite the blemishes on his record, according to documents from the committee.

Also, Obama’s choice to oversee the IRS flubbed his own tax returns – some of which he had personally prepared – to the tune of $42,700 in back taxes and penalties.

And Geithner decided to pay more than half that amount — $26,000 — only after Obama decided to nominate him, according to finance committee documents.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090114/pl_politico/17428

let's say these 'mistakes' were really honest mistake....why pay only pay half AFTER obama decided to nominate him? that is nearly 4 years after the taxes were due....

Yurt
01-14-2009, 10:10 AM
....more...

The committee notes that Geithner failed to pay his Social Security taxes while employed at IMF from 2001 to 2003 – even though he was provided documents that explained that he was required to do so.

In addition, Geithner included payments to overnight camps in calculating his dependent child care credit in 2001, 2004 and 2005. His accountant informed him in 2006 the camps were not allowable expenses. The committee notes that Geithner did not file amended returns to fix the mistake.

red states rule
01-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I remember back when Pres Bush nominated Linda Chavez for Labor Sec and similar issues

Dems said it was unacceptable and she had to withdraw

Now when it is a Dem they shrug and say it was a little mistake and we should ignore it

Double standards are the only standards liberals have

crin63
01-14-2009, 10:42 AM
If memory serves me correctly didn't the libs freak out about, "Joe the plumber" owing $1200 in back taxes? Wasn't that supposed to be some kind of dis-qualifier as to Joe personally.

red states rule
01-14-2009, 10:46 AM
If memory serves me correctly didn't the libs freak out about, "Joe the plumber" owing $1200 in back taxes? Wasn't that supposed to be some kind of dis-qualifier as to Joe personally.

Indeed it was. OCA was all over him here

The "D" at the ends on ones name provides alot of protection dosen't it?

Also, Martin Mesbitt, Obama's campaign treasurer, owed personal and corporate taxes and also has tax leins filed against him

Nothing was said or done to him

stephanie
01-14-2009, 10:49 AM

good memory..

but as usual, this happens with the Democrats and all we hear is, it was an HONEST MISTAKE..

absolute disgusting double standards I find amazing..

namvet
01-14-2009, 10:51 AM
dems are dogs covering up their turds................

red states rule
01-14-2009, 10:53 AM
dems are dogs covering up their turds................

It is a better protection racket then the Mafia

crin63
01-14-2009, 10:54 AM
I know personally that tax problems can catch people unawares. My ex-wife retained my last name and used my S.S. number when she made a deal with the IRS that she defaulted on. My refunds were held up for years while I straightened it out and I still have tax liens on my credit report from her taxes. They come off this year so I'm not going to worry about them.

Yurt
01-14-2009, 11:05 AM
I know personally that tax problems can catch people unawares. My ex-wife retained my last name and used my S.S. number when she made a deal with the IRS that she defaulted on. My refunds were held up for years while I straightened it out and I still have tax liens on my credit report from her taxes. They come off this year so I'm not going to worry about them.

that is true. in this case though, he knew about the taxes because he was given documents regarding the taxes and did not pay them. his accountant also later told him he could not write certain taxes off, still he failed to file an amended....then, after nearly four years he finally pays off half onlyafter getting the nod from obama.

that doesn't sound like a normal tax problem, that seems to me that this guy purposefully avoided taxes and is now going to head the tax department...hmmm

red states rule
01-14-2009, 11:11 AM
that is true. in this case though, he knew about the taxes because he was given documents regarding the taxes and did not pay them. his accountant also later told him he could not write certain taxes off, still he failed to file an amended....then, after nearly four years he finally pays off half onlyafter getting the nod from obama.

that doesn't sound like a normal tax problem, that seems to me that this guy purposefully avoided taxes and is now going to head the tax department...hmmm

and Dems will rubber stamp the pass without giving it a second thought