PDA

View Full Version : A Taste of Honey

Noir
01-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Ring a ding y'all.

I am writting this to promote a play that has simply blown me away, A Taste of Honey by Shelagh Delaney.

The play centres around the relationship between a mother and daughter, Helen and jo, and also dips into mixed colour relationships and that of a older women and her toyboy. All with the backdrop of the inevitable cycle of the poor in working class Manchester in the 60's

The play was recommended to me and I expected much from it, but it far outstriped that, it is only the second book I have ever read in one sitting as I couldn't put it down (though by luck it is only about 90 pages long, so even at my snails pace of reading one sitting was enough)

So keep your eyes out next time your passing through the library, and give into to your sweet tooth, with a tatse of honey.

Abbey Marie
01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Is the title based on the fabulous Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass hit?

Noir
01-15-2009, 04:11 PM
looking up the dates it seems the song was from 1966, and the play was first performed in 1958, so in assuming they were linked it would seem that the song was named after the play.

Abbey Marie
01-15-2009, 08:28 PM
looking up the dates it seems the song was from 1966, and the play was first performed in 1958, so in assuming they were linked it would seem that the song was named after the play.

I think I'm confused. The play was first performed in 1958, but it was about life in the 60's?

Noir
01-16-2009, 03:58 AM
I think I'm confused. The play was first performed in 1958, but it was about life in the 60's?

Sorry, my fault, it doesn't mention specific dates in the play, but from it I got a sense it was set in the 60's, but the 50's is close enough.

Psychoblues
02-04-2009, 06:13 AM
Great jamm, on stage or off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues