PDA

View Full Version : Bird Strikes SUCK!

Mr. P
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Had a few myself but never killed an engine.

This crew did a fantastic job!!! :thumb:

Kathianne
01-15-2009, 04:39 PM

Indeed, it looks like the pilot purposefully put it down in the Hudson, to avoid death on the ground. There was a passenger that said the landing was 'smooth' but sudden. Wow!

Noir
01-15-2009, 05:28 PM
I just herd, seems that all of the folk onboard have got of alive and well, seems a real disaster has been averted. It seems a bird got caught in an engine and took it out, shows how fragile these steel birds are.

Kathianne
01-15-2009, 05:30 PM
I just herd, seems that all of the folk onboard have got of alive and well, seems a real disaster has been averted. It seems a bird got caught in an engine and took it out, shows how fragile these steel birds are.

That had to be a bunch of birds! I've heard Canadian Geese.

Mr P posted on this, I'm going to merge the two.

Noir
01-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Ah I see, I hadn't viewed this thread as I thought it had somthing to do with hunting upon reading the title.

The pilot should be gettin a few extra $$$ in his paypacket this month. Do they have a system whereby normal folk can get medals for special actions as a US citizen?

Kathianne
01-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Ah I see, I hadn't viewed this thread as I thought it had somthing to do with hunting upon reading the title.

The pilot should be gettin a few extra $$$ in his paypacket this month. Do they have a system whereby normal folk can get medals for special actions as a US citizen?

Wouldn't be surprised if he gets this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Medal_of_Freedom

With the plane sinking the captain checked the plane at least twice, making sure everyone was off. Then he left, the last man out.

-Cp
01-15-2009, 07:05 PM

Mind posting a link so everyone knows what pilots you're referring to?

Kathianne
01-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Mind posting a link so everyone knows what pilots you're referring to?

Agree a link would be a good thing, but seems everyone knows what it's about.

Kathianne
01-15-2009, 07:14 PM
The crew was stupendous! No question about that. So were however the police, fire, businesses, and private citizens that got to the plane within minutes, saving people from the frigid water. Reminded me of this:

http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=111302B

'American Dunkirk'

By Glenn Harlan Reynolds : 13 Nov 2002

Two weeks ago I wrote about the need to adopt a broader approach to antiterrorism, one that would help the citizenry function as (in Jim Henley's words) "a pack, not a herd." This week I'm going to say a little more about how that should be done, though in truth it's already happening on its own.

In fact, one barely-reported story from September 11 illustrates this better than any other - the improvised navy that evacuated roughly a million people by boat from Lower Manhattan, in an operation that some have called an American Dunkirk. Ferries, commercial boats, and pleasure craft spontaneously assembled to carry people away from the scene of the attack, and to return with needed supplies:

People at Ground Zero, the Manhattan Waterfront, nearby New Jersey, Staten Island and Brooklyn waterfronts, and crews on the numerous vessels repeatedly used the phrases "just amazing," "everyone cooperated, and "just doing what it took" to describe maritime community responses. Individuals stepped up and took charge of specific functions, and captains and crews from other companies took their direction. . . . Private maritime operators kept their vessels onsite and available until Friday, Day Four, when federal authorities took over.

emmett
01-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Indeed, it looks like the pilot purposefully put it down in the Hudson, to avoid death on the ground. There was a passenger that said the landing was 'smooth' but sudden. Wow!

It's called Forced Aquatic Landing! Excellent job it appears however I believe it comes from his training and is still a tragedy. Hero? He did his job! Lots of lives saved from quick level headed thinking by crew, not just the captain!

Nice to see the unity on the ground by all involved, well...... in the water.

Mr. P
01-15-2009, 08:04 PM
It's called Forced Aquatic Landing! Excellent job it appears however I believe it comes from his training and is still a tragedy. Hero? He did his job! Lots of lives saved from quick level headed thinking by crew, not just the captain!

Nice to see the unity on the ground by all involved, well...... in the water.

I might take issue with the "Forced Aquatic Landing" but all the rest is true!

This is what pilots train for, those "OH SHIT" moments. I, like this Pilot, have spent hrs, year after year, in a simulator dealing with things you NEVER want to see happen in the real aircraft. So, if these bad things ever happen yer ready to deal with them calmly and deliberately. Response to emergencies becomes second nature. So ya, he was really just doing his job. :thumb:

Yurt
01-15-2009, 08:13 PM
i heard the pilot was airforce before civil :clap:

REDWHITEBLUE2
01-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Well thank god everyone got out alive BUT a good headline would be biggest upset in history 5lb bird defeats 5 ton bird :laugh2:

Little-Acorn
01-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Well thank god everyone got out alive BUT a good headline would be biggest upset in history 5lb bird defeats 5 ton bird :laugh2:

Actually I think the big bird came out of it in rather better shape than the 5lb bird. The big one could still glide, was under good control, flew down to a relatively safe landing, and nobody on board was killed, The 5lb bird, however, was a cloud of feathers and roast hash, half a second after the collision.

They're now saying it was multiple bird strikes. Had to be, to take out both engines.

Information will become more accurate as time goes by. Unlike in Democrat politics.

Sitarro
01-16-2009, 03:29 AM
A great example of why we need the human presence on the flight deck(we aren't allowed to call it a cockpit any longer).......... can you imagine what a computer would have done in the same situation. My brother is not only a Captain but is also in the training department, he helps pilots with these same scenarios in the simulator( a new 737-800 simulator is about 12 million dollars, a bargain for sure). I'm sure there was some luck involved but the training that is given constantly throughout their careers paid off for the whole crew. I am amazed that the passengers actually listened to the crew and stayed away from the emergency exits above the wing and the rear doors, opening those would have caused a whole different outcome.

The water taxis and ferries were there immediately, couldn't have had much better of a place to put it into the water. Someone has to have video.

I wonder who the attorneys are planning on suing, the birds, the water?

namvet
01-16-2009, 09:13 AM
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/5206/06509262cj3.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/IAF_UH-60_after_birds_strike_outside.jpg

photos (photos)

I had 1 hit my windshield going across a river bridge. duck !!! all I saw behind me was feathers. the windshield had to be replaced. he cracked it good.