PDA

View Full Version : A Bit Surprising To Me

Kathianne
01-16-2009, 09:01 PM
From Bill Frist:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/15/frist.bush/index.html

Editor's note: Bill Frist, a physician, is former Republican majority leader of the U.S. Senate and a professor of medicine and business at Vanderbilt University.

(CNN) -- A legacy of President George W. Bush will be that he saved 10 million lives around the world.

His critics ignore it, but name another president about whom one can say that with such certainty. It is what historians will say a decade from now looking back. Not bad for a president who leaves office with the lowest approval rating in recent memory.

The bottom line is: George Bush is a healer.

First, a surprise proclamation came on January 29, 2003.

I was in the first row in the House chamber when three quarters through his State of the Union address, the president boldly said: "I ask the Congress to commit $15 billion over the next five years ... to turn the tide against AIDS in the most afflicted nations of Africa and the Caribbean" and "lead the world in sparing innocent people from a plague of nature."

And lead the world we did. No president in history had made such a commitment against a single disease. Those words and the action that followed meant that instead of another 30 million people dying from HIV infections, maybe just another 20 million will.

Later that night in an interview for CNN in my Capitol office, I predicted that five years later, this commitment to fight HIV would be the single most significant thing the president said that night. It was....

01-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Ive always thought the Saddest thing about AIDs is how avoidable it is. But I can understand why people already always able to prevent it. Glad to see some progress can be made. But its a shame we had to spend Federal tax dollars instead of private contributions.

Joe Steel
01-17-2009, 08:09 AM
From Bill Frist:

...the president boldly said: "I ask the Congress to commit $15 billion over the next five years ... to turn the tide against AIDS in the most afflicted nations of Africa and the Caribbean" and "lead the world in sparing innocent people from a plague of nature."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/15/frist.bush/index.html

Making the world safe for capitalist exploitation.

What capitalist wants to export jobs to some third-world hellhole where sweatshop workers die of AIDS before they can be worked to death?

PostmodernProphet
01-17-2009, 08:13 AM

What capitalist wants to export jobs to some third-world hellhole where sweatshop workers die of AIDS before they can be worked to death?

gotta love the compassionate liberal......

5stringJeff
01-17-2009, 10:12 AM

You mean, what capitalist wants to outsource jobs so they can maximize profits, while at the same time raising the standard of living in the new countries they operate in, so people don't have to worry about where their next meal is coming from and can buy medicine to treat their diseases?

Joe Steel
01-17-2009, 11:32 AM
You mean, what capitalist wants to outsource jobs so they can maximize profits, while at the same time raising the standard of living in the new countries they operate in, so people don't have to worry about where their next meal is coming from and can buy medicine to treat their diseases?

Maybe we can get an answer to the question from the Chinese who spend all day salvaging e-junk and being exposed to all the nasty things in it.

01-17-2009, 12:02 PM

I am not really seeing what this has to do with revitalizing Detriot.