PDA

View Full Version : Union Worker Saves Passengers and Crew of Flight 1549

Joe Steel
01-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Always look for the union label.

Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger, III, the pilot credited with landing US Airways flight 1549 gently on the Hudson River is a veteran of 40 years. The “miracle on the Hudson” is really a result of professional pilots organizing to ensure that they get the best support and training at the highest standards in the industry. Captain Sullenberger is a former safety chairman, accident investigator and national committee member for the Airline Pilots Association (ALPA). His ALPA safety work led to the development of a Federal Aviation (FAA) Advisory Circular.

The next time you see the scurrilous advertising by the opponents of the Employee Free Choice Act, remember they are insulting union members like Captain Sullenberger. From the pilots, to the flight attendants, to the air traffic controllers, to the members of the FDNY, the “miracle on the Hudson” happened thanks to the skill and dedication of union workers.

Miracle on the Hudson happened thanks to the skill and dedication of union workers (http://www.examiner.com/x-2071-DC-Special-Interests-Examiner~y2009m1d15-Miracle-on-the-Hudson-happened-thanks-to-the-skill-and-dedication-of-union-workers?cid=examiner-email)

Mr. P
01-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Actually the training and standards are mandated by FAA regulation, NOT by ALPA.

Nice try.

Missileman
01-17-2009, 09:51 AM

Can we assume then that belonging to a union has also been responsible for all the pilot error crashes and incidents of pilots flying drunk? There have certainly been more of those than successful water landings.

stephanie
01-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Can we assume then that belonging to a union has also been responsible for all the pilot error crashes and incidents of pilots flying drunk? There have certainly been more of those than successful water landings.

great question, I'd love to hear his answer for that..

01-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Union? Who on earth sees something like this and praises government for Unions?

Sitarro
01-17-2009, 03:20 PM

I have 3 airline Captains in my family, they all hate ALPA. I have a girlfriend who is a flight attendant, she hates her union. I have friends who work as aircraft mechanics, they all hate their union. They all feel forced to be a member to keep their jobs, forced to pay dues to organizations who support political candidates like that clown Osama with their dues money.

My 2 older brothers were threatened and harassed by union thug assholes because they wanted to fly rather than carry a sign in a parking lot making asses out of themselves. They were called scabs, they would fly with union pussies that refused to talk to them for entire trips, basically a bunch of fags. Whine about the guys that pay their bloated salaries and through the use of coercion, force people to pay dues.

My oldest brother paid around 90,000 dollars in dues over his career with the airlines,his union fought against changing the forced retirement age to 65 from 60. The U.S., France, Columbia and Pakistan were the only countries left forcing pilots out at 60. The law was finally changed 2 weeks after my brother's 60th birthday. At the time, he was number 1 in seniority with the company on his particular aircraft. He was flying when he wanted, where he wanted and only 10 days a month, who would want to give that up. When the law was changed, he tried to get his job back, the union said he could but he would drop all the way down to the bottom of seniority list and be on 24 hour call, he told them to go fuck themselves.

Union are a drag on society and serve no purpose but to make union bosses rich, screw them.

One other thing, there were 2 pilots on that flight deck, both were working their asses off and I doubt that the Captain could have been as successful without his First Officer...... anybody heard his name?

Mr. P
01-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I have 3 airline Captains in my family, they all hate ALPA. I have a girlfriend who is a flight attendant, she hates her union. I have friends who work as aircraft mechanics, they all hate their union. They all feel forced to be a member to keep their jobs, forced to pay dues to organizations who support political candidates like that clown Osama with their dues money.

My 2 older brothers were threatened and harassed by union thug assholes because they wanted to fly rather than carry a sign in a parking lot making asses out of themselves. They were called scabs, they would fly with union pussies that refused to talk to them for entire trips, basically a bunch of fags. Whine about the guys that pay their bloated salaries and through the use of coercion, force people to pay dues.

My oldest brother paid around 90,000 dollars in dues over his career with the airlines,his union fought against changing the forced retirement age to 65 from 60. The U.S., France, Columbia and Pakistan were the only countries left forcing pilots out at 60. The law was finally changed 2 weeks after my brother's 60th birthday. At the time, he was number 1 in seniority with the company on his particular aircraft. He was flying when he wanted, where he wanted and only 10 days a month, who would want to give that up. When the law was changed, he tried to get his job back, the union said he could but he would drop all the way down to the bottom of seniority list and be on 24 hour call, he told them to go fuck themselves.

Union are a drag on society and serve no purpose but to make union bosses rich, screw them.

One other thing, there were 2 pilots on that flight deck, both were working their asses off and I doubt that the Captain could have been as successful without his First Officer...... anybody heard his name?

I was called a scab when the Eastern Pilots union caused the collapse of Eastern airlines. I was proud of it too! You need a scab for a wound to heal..unfortunately it was to late.

Immanuel
01-17-2009, 07:06 PM
great question, I'd love to hear his answer for that..

Some how, I doubt we will.

Immie

Yurt
01-17-2009, 08:27 PM

:lol:

PostmodernProphet
01-18-2009, 08:34 AM
thank goodness this union member was a good pilot....instead of one of the ones the union wouldn't let be fired for incompetence.....

remie
01-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Perhaps we should thank the Air Force Academy for training him in F-4s to be cool under fire.:salute:

stephanie
01-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Perhaps we should thank the Air Force Academy for training him in F-4s to be cool under fire.:salute:

:clap::salute:

5stringJeff
01-19-2009, 10:17 AM
I was called a scab when the Eastern Pilots union caused the collapse of Eastern airlines. I was proud of it too! You need a scab for a wound to heal..unfortunately it was to late.

My father was a "scab" as well. He crossed the picket lines at Continental back in the early 80's. That got him full-time work as a pilot again; before that, he was buying old cars, fixing them up, and reselling them in order to put food on the table.

Monkeybone
01-19-2009, 10:22 AM
One other thing, there were 2 pilots on that flight deck, both were working their asses off and I doubt that the Captain could have been as successful without his First Officer...... anybody heard his name? no we won't hear his name because he was the drunk union pilot in the cockpit. they have to have at least one sober one. union rules. :cheers2:

Kathianne
01-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Jeff Skiles. He was not drunk, he performed bravely:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/37719984.html

"We give thanks to both God and the pilot."

Co-pilot helped passengers

Earlier Friday, Barbara Skiles of the Dane County Village of Oregon described the experience of her husband, Jeffrey, the plane's co-pilot.

The water in the Hudson River was so cold that Jeffrey Skiles' legs were immediately numb, Barbara Skiles said.

Skiles said her husband, 49, walked through the plane to find more life vests for people who had exited without them. The quick response from New York City's police and fire departments, as well as ferries and other boats that helped bring passengers to safety, was a key reason no one was killed, she said.

"He did say that it was amazing the help that they got . . .&ensphow quickly boats were at the side of the airplane," she said.

Skiles said her husband lost his cell phone in the incident, but used a borrowed phone to call her with news about the accident.

" 'We had to ditch the plane in the Hudson, I want you to know I'm OK and I think we got everybody off OK,' " she said he told her. She said she's spoken with him a couple more times from his hotel room, but isn't sure when he'll be home.

"I think it's still sinking in," she said of how he's feeling. "He just really doesn't know how things are going to happen from here."

Jeffrey Skiles got his private pilot's license when he was a teenager and has been flying professionally since his early 20s, spending the past 23 years flying for US Airways, Barbara Skiles said.

He is a 1984 graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison who majored in geology and geophysics.

The University of Wisconsin Board of Regents is inviting Jeffrey and Barbara Skiles, a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, to its next meeting Feb. 5 and 6, said university system spokesman David Giroux.

"It's always nice to see UW graduates do well and serve so admirably under intense pressure," Giroux said.

Barbara Skiles and the couple's three children, ages 17, 15 and 12, spent Thursday evening watching TV coverage for more news about the incident, and were hoping media attention dies down soon so they can get back to their normal lives.

"We're so grateful," she said, fighting back tears. "Not just for Jeff but for everybody on the plane."

She said she's always worried more about her husband driving to airports in Chicago and Milwaukee than flying.

"If you're going to be in an airplane disaster, you couldn't ask for a better ending," she said.

http://news.scotsman.com/world/Hudson-copilot-tells-of-.4888442.jp

Hudson co-pilot tells of moment cockpit window 'filled with birds'

Published Date: 19 January 2009
By CHRIS STEPHEN
THE man at the controls of Flight 1549 which crash landed in New York's Hudson River with no fatalities told yesterday for the first time of the terrifying moment when a flock of geese appeared in front of him.
Co-pilot Jeff Skiles had just performed take-off from the city's La Guardia airport and was climbing over the skyline of New York when the flock of geese appeared "perfectly lined in formation" in front of the cockpit window.

"His instinct was to duck," said Kitty Higgins, spokeswoman for the National Air Transportation Authority (NATA). "But he didn't."

As co-pilot, Mr Skiles was at the controls when the birds hit, but it was hero pilot Chesley Sullenberger who landed the plane in the river. He told investigators he looked up to find the window full of "big, dark brown birds."

With Mr Skiles desperately trying to restart the engines and the plane losing altitude fast, Mr Sullenberger radioed: "We can't do it (land at Teterboro], we're gonna be in the Hudson."...

Abbey Marie
01-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Have the lawsuits been filed yet?

Joe Steel
01-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Can we assume then that belonging to a union has also been responsible for all the pilot error crashes and incidents of pilots flying drunk?

Nope. Errors are the result of ignoring union standards.

Mr. P
01-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Have the lawsuits been filed yet?

Geezzz Abbey, today is a holiday courts are closed! But, if it crashes they will come.

It will be interesting to see the grounds. Product liability, perhaps? A jet engine should be able to suck-up a horse and keep on tickin? Or maybe sue Canada for negligence due to their control of their geese? :laugh2:

stephanie
01-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Or maybe sue Canada for negligence due to their control of their geese? :laugh2:

I think this one will fly...:coffee:

Mr. P
01-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Nope. Errors are the result of ignoring union standards.

Please tell me what union standards are in Federal Aviation Regulation.
In 28 yrs as a professional pilot I must have missed them.

Joe Steel
01-19-2009, 12:41 PM

So?

Stories of misfits and malcontents have little value in substantive discussions of public policy.

What's your point?

Utter nonsense.

Beyond stupid.

Unions built America. They created the prosperity we once had and may have again.

Joe Steel
01-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Please tell me what union standards are in Federal Aviation Regulation.
In 28 yrs as a professional pilot I must have missed them.

Unions always impose safety standards on employers. Are you saying you are subject to none?

Mr. P
01-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Unions always impose safety standards on employers. Are you saying you are subject to none?

I'm saying you are so far off base in yer attempt to credit unions with the successful result of this accident is hilarious. You don't have a clue here, Joe. Company standards are not responsible for training REQUIRED by the FAA.

BTW most company standards are written to MEET FAA REQUIREMENTS not unions.

Nukeman
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Jeff Skiles. He was not drunk, he performed bravely:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/37719984.html

http://news.scotsman.com/world/Hudson-copilot-tells-of-.4888442.jp
I think you missed the fact the Monkey was joking!!!!! :coffee:

No1tovote4
01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Wow, Joe Stalin on our own little site...

:clap:

Imagine how much more money he'd have if he didn't have to pay into the corrupt union system. His family would be better off, and his forced "dues" would not be funneled into a political party he likely doesn't support...