PDA

View Full Version : Obama train arrives in Baltimore

stephanie
01-17-2009, 06:49 PM
I couldn't bring the picture over...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/politics/bal-baltimore0117,0,5204082.story

Whistle-stop tour made rolling stop in Edgewood before city speech
By Melissa Harris and Candus Thomson | melissa.harris@baltsun.com and candus.thomson@baltsun.com
5:18 PM EST, January 17, 2009

Caprina Hooper (near) and her mother Ruth Hooper of Baltimore wave flags at War Memorial Plaza before President-elect Barack Obama's arrival. (Baltimore Sun photo by Karl Merton Ferron / January 17, 2009)

1 2 next President-elect Barack Obama told a shivering crowd in Baltimore today that the nation faces the kind of challenges that have emerged "only a handful of times in our history" but said the country possessed the tenacity needed to solve them.

"While our problems may be new, what is required to overcome them is not new," Obama said. "What's required is the same perseverance and idealism that those first patriots displayed."

red states rule
01-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Wonder if anyone passed out or fainted as the Chosen One stepped off the train?

Kathianne
01-17-2009, 07:02 PM
I watched the Baltimore stop, kept thinking of Fort McHenry. Seriously, I hope that Obama is able to lead the country, as I think we are facing very difficult times. I got a call from a friend, shortly after Obama exited the podium in Baltimore, her father's bank failed last night, taken over by fed. Bottom line, we own it, BofA, and countless others. What do any of us know about banking?

Scary times, an economic 9/11 before he takes office.

stephanie
01-17-2009, 07:04 PM
I was looking at the flag...

red states rule
01-17-2009, 07:05 PM
I watched the Baltimore stop, kept thinking of Fort McHenry. Seriously, I hope that Obama is able to lead the country, as I think we are facing very difficult times. I got a call from a friend, shortly after Obama exited the podium in Baltimore, her father's bank failed last night, taken over by fed. Bottom line, we own it, BofA, and countless others. What do any of us know about banking?

Scary times, an economic 9/11 before he takes office.

Kat, my problem is by wishing Obama success - you are wishing for tax and spend liberalism to succeed

You know it will not and cannot work

I hope he succeeds by pulling the biggest bait and switch in history. He will succeed, ut he will piss off his base in the process. He might also incur the wrath of the liberal media

I do not think he has the political courage to do so

Kathianne
01-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Kat, my problem is by wishing Obama success - you are wishing for tax and spend liberalism to succeed

You know it will not and cannot work

I hope he succeeds by pulling the biggest bait and switch in history. He will succeed, ut he will piss off his base in the process. He might also incur the wrath of the liberal media

I do not think he has the political courage to do so

I'm sort of hoping that reality hits Washington DC in the face, I just hope Obama is mature enough to know the way to go.

Bush is the one for bait and switch regarding economics. I'm hoping, so far with some comfort, that Obama is too. Neither seems to be what they 'ran on.'

red states rule
01-17-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm sort of hoping that reality hits Washington DC in the face, I just hope Obama is mature enough to know the way to go.

Bush is the one for bait and switch regarding economics. I'm hoping, so far with some comfort, that Obama is too. Neither seems to be what they 'ran on.'

Obma has to deal with Reid and Pelosi - I do not know if he has what it takes to do that

In Bush's defense - and it is hard to do Kat:

He did have 54 consective months of job growth. And he did try to reform Fannie and Freddie several times - but Dems blocked him

IF the reforms would have went thru, we may not be in the trouble we are in now

Pres Bush has many faults in my book - but overall I would give him a B-

Mostly because we had no more attacks on our soil

Kathianne
01-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Obma has to deal with Reid and Pelosi - I do not know if he has what it takes to do that

In Bush's defense - and it is hard to do Kat:

He did have 54 consective months of job growth. And he did try to reform Fannie and Freddie several times - but Dems blocked him

IF the reforms would have went thru, we may not be in the trouble we are in now

Pres Bush has many faults in my book - but overall I would give him a B-

Mostly because we had no more attacks on our soil

Bush did not apply pressure when needed, not for domestic issues.

Irony alert: Bush campaigned in 1999 as domestic president, 'compassionate conservative." After a surreal election he demonstrated every indication of ruling like such, 9/11 transformed his administration to a war time presidency.

Obama campaigned as a reformer/change candidate. With the economy tanking and the WOT more or less contained, he may well find himself continuing the Bush agenda at home. Something he nor his supporters thought. On the other hand, the opposition is primed to attack both Bush and Obama.

red states rule
01-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Bush did not apply pressure when needed, not for domestic issues.

Irony alert: Bush campaigned in 1999 as domestic president, 'compassionate conservative." After a surreal election he demonstrated every indication of ruling like such, 9/11 transformed his administration to a war time presidency.

Obama campaigned as a reformer/change candidate. With the economy tanking and the WOT more or less contained, he may well find himself continuing the Bush agenda at home. Something he nor his supporters thought. On the other hand, the opposition is primed to attack both Bush and Obama.

Lord knows the Republicans will not put up much of a fight. They are all but silent on a tax cheat running the IRS and US Treasury

If Obama moves to the center or ight - only the kook left will speak up

And perhaps Chis Matthews, who will blame Pres Bush for Obama changing policies and direction

emmett
01-17-2009, 08:02 PM
One thing is for sure, we will hear constantly a reference to what Mr. Obama cannot fix as being George Bush's fault. Four years from now we will hear "It has only been four years".

I shiver in regard to the backsteps civil liberty will take over the next 4 / 8 years. I also worry that with the press solidly in the Democrats corner, we won't get the same coverage as mistakes made by GB were. People are shallow in general and believe what they see on TV. Until the left and the press incur a seperation on enough issues to matter, this is what we will get.

I still think Obama is in for a real suprise when his sector does not realize instant change. His waffling has already started as RSR pointed out on another thread and I think January 21, will see many more topics of suspect "change". He talked himself into the presidency and I also think this will cause him to talk himself out of it!

All of this talk about helping folks make their house payments, pay for cars and providing free health care (which of course is not free), will not be accomplished the way he says, we all know this. He is about to find out the difference between talking tough and being tough! My guess is he is going to flop like a fish out of water. Just go back and remember the "deer in headlights" look he had on his face when he was in debates with John Mccain. This is what you will see again.

He won't go on Fox News ever again.... watch and see! He will face no commentators who are non biused. He will not address issues which are not popular. Look how he handled gays when they got pissed about Rick Warren. He did not address the issue. He talked alot during the campagne because he had a free ride, all he had to do was say a few words and wa-lah, he had their votes. Basically he got 100% of gay voters to vote for him like that, yet he couldn't even get to the white house before he had them 100% pissed off.

I got into a conversation over in Augusta with a c-store clerk the other night who actually believes that Barack Obama is going to catch up her house payments and then lower them by half. Her sister told her that. She believes it! She also thinks she will be getting a huge check in the mail this year because a black man is the president. Carefully I asked her if she thought black people would be better off now, her reply was that she knew they would be because they "have been waiting" along time. Waiting for what? I didn't ask her that. I think this is the general consensous of most black's thinking. This is also what I think will be his downfall.

red states rule
01-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Dems will try to balme Pre bush np matter what. After 6 months Obama will own the economy, own Iraq, and own Gitmo

Dems have no excuse since they have control of Congress and the WH

But Dems always look for escape goats - and never take responsiblty for their failures