PDA

View Full Version : Iran ratchets up tension over hostage stand-off

mrg666
03-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Iran further raised the stakes in the diplomatic stand-off with Britain tonight by releasing a second letter said to have been written by Royal Navy rating Faye Turney.

In the the hand-written note, released by the Iranians to Sky News, Leading Seaman Turney is said to have called for the withdrawal from British troops from Iraq.

There was no immediate response from the Foreign Office, however it is likely to raise concerns fresh concerns that it was written under some form of duress.

The letter, dated March 27, was addressed to “representatives of the House of Commons” and states: “Isn’t it time for us to start withdrawing our forces from Iraq and let them determine their own future?"
Iranian television also aired new footage apparently showing the capture of 15 Royal Navy personnel.

In the five-second clip of film gunshots can be heard and a helicopter is shown hovering above inflatable boats in choppy seas.

The video, shown on Iranian state television, then switches to an Iranian military official who outlines the Iranian position that the British vessels had strayed into their national waters.

The letter and footage was released as Britain continued attempts to finalise a UN Security Council resolution condemning the seizure, calling for the captives' immediate release and declaring they was taken during a routine patrol in Iraqi waters under a UN mandate.

The UK has called for the resolution after freezing all bilateral ties with Iran except for contacts directly related to the hostage crisis.

After accusing Britain of making a "fuss", Iran this afternoon responded by going back on its promise that Leading Seaman Turney would be released, claiming that she would now remain in captivity.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article1585838.ece

03-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Brits better not cave to Iran. That will just cause them to start kidnapping more people.

mrg666
03-29-2007, 02:36 PM
from a brits perspective
i think they are playing games
my first instinct as got to be go for an agressive response but as ive said before can we afford to go this far ( the west as a whole) at this stage in time not just because of the nuclear threat (that should be no detterant to anyone) but the fact that there are so many hostiles over the boarder in iraq as we all know the iranians are helping there cause under a veil any way, but to declare war and let them publicly unite ? well thats food for thought .
however if negotiations dont get any where im afraid a strike as to come this situation is not only a spit in the face of the uk but all the coalition.
anger is rising here purely for the fact that they paraded Faye Turney on tv and scripted her what they did
i know there are other threads covering this one but this is a slightly differant angle on it

03-29-2007, 02:38 PM
I want to know why such blatant acts of hostility arent uniting the west.

stephanie
03-29-2007, 02:43 PM
from a Brits perspective
i think they are playing games
my first instinct as got to be go for an aggressive response but as Ive said before can we afford to go this far ( the west as a whole) at this stage in time not just because of the nuclear threat (that should be no deterrent to anyone) but the fact that there are so many hostiles over the boarder in Iraq as we all know the Iranians are helping there cause under a veil any way, but to declare war and let them publicly unite ? well that's food for thought .
however if negotiations dont get any where im afraid a strike as to come this situation is not only a spit in the face of the uk but all the coalition.
anger is rising here purely for the fact that they paraded Faye Turner on tv and scripted her what they did
i know there are other threads covering this one but this is a slightly different angle on it

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this..
It's hard to know what the Brits are feeling and thinking about all this..

mrg666
03-29-2007, 02:55 PM

only the brits and the usa have actually got the balls to stand up to them
all the others in my opinion have sent tokens and arent serious about it
regardless that the threat belongs to the west
we all know its a global jihad

03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
only the brits and the usa have actually got the balls to stand up to them
all the others in my opinion have sent tokens and arent serious about it
regardless that the threat belongs to the west
we all know its a global jihad

That's what scares me. we are the only ones willing to do it. And even we are divided.

The west cannot survive if it loses the will to protect itself.

theHawk
03-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Funny how all the liberals who are always so concerned with "the welfare of the troops" aren't saying a peep about this situation.

stephanie
03-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Funny how all the liberals who are always so concerned with "the welfare of the troops" aren't saying a peep about this situation.

I was thinking that myself.

grunt
03-29-2007, 04:33 PM

Yes they are. They're claiming that the British and US have caused this situation because the US and Bush (gotta throw his name in here...lol) are evil and because of this evil have caused the poor defensless Iranians, dare I say, entire moo-slum world to hate us. So the Iranians are just protecting themselves with these British sailors and Marines.

jimnyc
03-29-2007, 04:52 PM
I'll never forget Blair coming to the US after 9/11 to show his support. They've been our greatest ally in the war against terror. I think we should back them 100% in whatever they decide to do, whether that be diplomatic resolutions or making Iran a parking lot. I personally prefer the latter, as I said about Iraq from the beginning.

The libs don't want our soldiers in harms way and want them home pronto. Give them what they wish and unleash hell via nukes on those 2 terrorist ridden hell holes.

glockmail
03-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Like who? US Democrats and Europeans?

Gaffer
03-29-2007, 07:58 PM
There are two wars going on. The war with islam, headed by iran, and the war with the libs, headed by polosi, kennedy, and the rest. So far the war with the libs has been a non shooting war. But its a war just the same with them attempting to undermine everything the US stands for and bring this country down.

03-30-2007, 04:38 AM

You have to realize, they are probably trying to pretend Iran hasnt taken any hostages. Last time Iran took hostages and the libs in the media paid attention to it, Ronald Reagan was elected.

Is it me or history repeating itself, just faster this time?

What happened before:
1. We wage, and are winning war (Vietnam)
2. Democrats/ liberals try to do everything in their power to lose war
3. Creating scandal and attempt at impeaching Republican, but non - conservative President who tried to appease libs by expanding government and giving them many things they wanted.
4. America loses hope
5. Iran takes hostages - results election of conservative Ronald Reagan.

Happening now:
1. we wage and are winning war (Iraq, Aghanistan, War on terror in general)
2. Same as #2 above
3. Same as number 3 above
4. See #4 above
5. Iran takes hostages.

The only difference is there isn't anyone like Reagan rising up.

03-30-2007, 04:39 AM
There are two wars going on. The war with islam, headed by iran, and the war with the libs, headed by polosi, kennedy, and the rest. So far the war with the libs has been a non shooting war. But its a war just the same with them attempting to undermine everything the US stands for and bring this country down.

hopefully it stays a non-shooting war, but I cant help but think both sides are walking a fine line and can quickly cross it.

03-30-2007, 04:39 AM
I'll never forget Blair coming to the US after 9/11 to show his support. They've been our greatest ally in the war against terror. I think we should back them 100% in whatever they decide to do, whether that be diplomatic resolutions or making Iran a parking lot. I personally prefer the latter, as I said about Iraq from the beginning.

The libs don't want our soldiers in harms way and want them home pronto. Give them what they wish and unleash hell via nukes on those 2 terrorist ridden hell holes.

Problem with making Iran into a parking lot is it really doesnt help us get the hostages free.

glockmail
03-30-2007, 09:14 AM

We conservative Americans are fighting two fronts against Democrats and Jihadists. :salute:

glockmail
03-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Problem with making Iran into a parking lot is it really doesnt help us get the hostages free. Details, details.... :poke: