PDA

View Full Version : Superintendent warns against 'inappropriate comments'

stephanie
01-18-2009, 09:32 PM
By Eric Schwartzberg and Marie Rossiter

Staff writers

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mason school officials said they are taking a proactive educational approach in advance of next week's planned Inauguration Day activities.

"Inappropriate comments that may make other students, staff or families feel unwelcome or uncomfortable in school or on the bus will not be tolerated," Superintendent Kevin Bright said in an e-mail sent to parents Monday, Jan. 12.

The district, he said, expects students and staff to show respect for President-elect Obama and the incoming administration, as well as President Bush and the outgoing administration, and recognize that "while the election is a competitive process, our nation's greatness is displayed when all sides come together for a united country."

read the rest.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2009/01/15/pjm011509inaugletter.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=16

Kathianne
01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
As long as the school has a policy and enforces it, nothing wrong with it. Schools are not places of 'free speech' as are other locations. As parents set rules about swearing, back talking, etc., so can schools.

I doubt a place of business would allow such behavior either. I like that the school specified both 'incoming' and 'outgoing.'

LiberalNation
01-18-2009, 11:34 PM
school students do have free speech rights, they don't end at the school doors. Curtailed but court battles can still be fought and won.

Kathianne
01-18-2009, 11:37 PM
school students do have free speech rights, they don't end at the school doors. Curtailed but court battles can still be fought and won.

Not if 'disruptive', which seems to be what happened with the election.

5stringJeff
01-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Speaking ill about politicians (in a non-disruptive manner) should be one thing every American can support! :D

Kathianne
01-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Speaking ill about politicians (in a non-disruptive manner) should be one thing every American can support! :D

I agree, but I don't think that is what the problem was during the election or what the concerns are about tomorrow. It's more of some acting to incite and that's just not ok in school.

5stringJeff
01-19-2009, 10:05 AM
It's more of some acting to incite and that's just not ok in school.

I absolutely agree with you on that. I'd just hate to see a school principal decide that a normal lunchtime conversation between friends that happened to be about Obama was 'disruptive' or 'inciteful.'

Kathianne
01-19-2009, 10:11 AM
I absolutely agree with you on that. I'd just hate to see a school principal decide that a normal lunchtime conversation between friends that happened to be about Obama was 'disruptive' or 'inciteful.'

I would hope that civil conversation should be allowed. I think it was directed at the types of behavior seen at the election. I think I related that in our school we had two kindergarten kids and two second graders become involved in physical and verbal fights, obviously not understanding what they were fighting about. Issues were racism and abortion.

Tomorrow I plan on showing the inauguration, emphasizing the peaceful passing on of office and power. Considering the school's parents lean Republican, the idea that the President that is elected, is our President is not something I thought 10 years ago I'd have to teach. I think now we do.

Immanuel
01-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I would hope that civil conversation should be allowed.

The problem will be when they come up with their, "zero tolerance" approach and the mere mention of either George Bush or Barack Obama will be grounds for suspension.

Tomorrow I plan on showing the inauguration, emphasizing the peaceful passing on of office and power. Considering the school's parents lean Republican, the idea that the President that is elected, is our President is not something I thought 10 years ago I'd have to teach. I think now we do.

I think showing the inauguration is a great thing. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be able to watch it as it happens. I guess, I'll have to set my DVR and watch reruns.

Immie