PDA

View Full Version : Story of Week Is Not Inauguration But Flight 1549

Kathianne
01-18-2009, 10:20 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_ed/view.bg?&articleid=1145964&format=&page=1&listingType=opi#articleFull

A great nation rises in the worst of times
By Michael Graham | Sunday, January 18, 2009 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Op-Ed

Photo by AP (file)
Looking for this week’s classic American tale? Forget the rise of Barack Obama. It’s the fall of Flight 1549.

There, lined up on the wings of a sinking plane like kids patiently waiting for the school bus, was the real America.

Not to name any names, but there are those who believe American society is broken, that our national soul needs healing, that our citizens lack the character to even set our own thermostats. But I believe that the nation this unnamed person will be sworn in to govern on Tuesday is a much better place than many of his supporters (not to mention family members) believe.

And I offer Flight 1549 as Exhibit A.

Captain Chesley Sullenberger III faced a scenario that would embarrass the writers of “24.” A packed plane, both engines out, over America’s largest population center, with no place to land but a nearly frozen river.

Sully did it, and then stood so calmly on the floating jet afterward he could have been handing out drink vouchers for the club room.

Now he’s hailed as a “hero,” a “pilot’s pilot” and a shoo-in for Sen. Hillary Clinton’s vacant New York Senate seat if he wants the job.

But his wife finds the national hero talk “a little weird.” He was just doing his job.

That is such an American phrase. It’s heard often from cops who kick in doors in our worst neighborhoods and Marines who patrol worse ones in Iraq. Americans who do exceptional things nearly every day, and dismiss it as mundane...

...And I’m not surprised at all by the story of a woman who began the flight by blurting out her fear of flying, but then held hands and comforted her fellow passengers during the landing. This is who we are.

Day after day, in ways miraculous and mundane, Americans strive to be their best selves. In doing so, we create a greater nation. What we lack is great leaders.

The passengers on Flight 1549 found one. On Tuesday at noon, let’s hope we did, too.

PostmodernProphet
01-19-2009, 10:14 AM
naturally....everyone prefers good news to bad.....