PDA

View Full Version : Don't ask what Barack Obama can do for you, ask...

stephanie
01-19-2009, 10:14 PM
this whole thing with the little Marxist worshipping is bordering on insane..and it's making me ill..

If the President-elect is not to disappoint us, a coalition of willing must be prepared to rethink entrenched positionsDavid Aaronovitch
Protecting the President | Graphic: inauguration security | The world waits | A new dawn begins | Words to define history | The disadvantaged will go to the ball | Leading article

On Sunday night I had a dream about Barack Obama. Millions of people do. I was at some meeting, in which activists and officials sat around a long rectangular table. Everyone was dressed informally, and people were making presentations to the group about the things we needed to do. Mr Obama was next to me on my left. He was tired. After a while he fell asleep, and his head rested on my shoulder. Naturally: it was my dream, so it was my shoulder.

It's all wine and concerts right now. Then, later today, the inauguration, and after that the presidency. Every lobby one can imagine - and not a few that one can't - is rushing out press releases advocating that the new president do the particular thing it advocates. In an internet version of a medieval petitioners' hall, lobbyists thrust requests and remonstrances in what they hope is the direction of the increasingly iconic Mr Obama.

It is now a cliché to say that he must inevitably disappoint, and one - as with the worst clichés - that covers almost any meaning, from the possibility of minor failure to his certain imprisonment by the Israel lobby, big business, the arms trade or whichever demons you think rule the fallen world. Only in what he represents can Mr Obama fail to disappoint because that cannot be altered by disillusion.

Woodrow Wilson, that great internationalist and one of the few library card-carrying intellectuals to be elected to the highest office, spoke in his first inaugural address in 1913 about the hardly perceived forces that can underlie an election. The American nation, he said, was seeking to use his victory “to interpret a change in its own plans and point of view”.

“Some old things with which we had grown familiar, and which had begun to creep into the very habit of our thought and of our lives, have altered their aspect as we have latterly looked critically upon them,” he said, while some new things have come to look like the “stuff of our own convictions”.

His thoughts were largely domestic and concerned how working-class Americans and American consumers had been denied even the most basic protection from the depradations of unregulated corporations.

But the thought holds good, that one of the marvels of democracy is how it allows old, almost tyrannical ways of thinking to be seen for what they are, and new possibilities to be imagined. The space is suddenly there. Perhaps the old Administration was overcontent with an unfair world, complacent or querulous in the face of possible environmental catastrophe, sometimes unimaginative in dealing with threats to its security.

read the rest..
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/david_aaronovitch/article5548846.ece

namvet
01-19-2009, 10:30 PM
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2001/us48xj1.jpg

he can wipe his ass on this for all i care

GW in Ohio
01-20-2009, 09:13 AM
While the rest of the country is out celebrating, you narrow-minded right-wing wackos are hanging out here, thinking up negative things to say.

Pretty pathetic......

Turn on your TV. Check out the mood of euphoria in DC and across the country. It's partly relief that the idiot Bush is leaving (finally) and it's also jubilation that we've finally got a president who looks like he might actually know what he's doing.

And finally.....I know this doesn't mean anything to you at all.....but for African Americans who've endured 400 years of second-class citizenship, the inauguration of Obama is a symbol that you can make it in this country, and go as far as your abilities will take you, and it doesn't matter what color you are.

namvet
01-20-2009, 09:27 AM
your a fucking mongoloid idiot

GW in Ohio
01-20-2009, 09:32 AM
your a fucking mongoloid idiot

Like I said, you've got nothing to offer but negativity and hostility.

'Scuse me for a minute, while I spontaneously break into a little dance step.....

:dance:

Okay, that's better. I'm feeling so good today, that happens from time to time.

:salute::beer::salute:

namvet
01-20-2009, 09:38 AM
enjoy your dance pussy. when the bombs go off you'll be the first to run.

GW in Ohio
01-20-2009, 09:44 AM
enjoy your dance pussy. when the bombs go off you'll be the first to run.

:salute::dance::salute:

stephanie
01-20-2009, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=GW in Ohio;341189]Like I said, you've got nothing to offer but negativity and hostility.

QUOTE]

kinda like what you've offered here for the last couple of years...then you think to come on here and tell us we are NOTHING BUT NEGITIVE..

sure sonny boy..

darin
01-20-2009, 11:22 AM
There's a difference between 'celebrating' and 'worshipping'. Folks WORSHIP this man - as a Saviour. Seriously - it's VERY sad. If he were a man of faith, he'd put a stop to it.

Trigg
01-20-2009, 02:07 PM
And finally.....I know this doesn't mean anything to you at all.....but for African Americans who've endured 400 years of second-class citizenship, the inauguration of Obama is a symbol that you can make it in this country, and go as far as your abilities will take you, and it doesn't matter what color you are.

Well at least they can't say their being kept down by "The Man". :laugh2:

hjmick
01-20-2009, 02:39 PM
While the rest of the country is out celebrating, you narrow-minded right-wing wackos are hanging out here, thinking up negative things to say.

Pretty pathetic......

Turn on your TV. Check out the mood of euphoria in DC and across the country...

No negativity from me. Just unbridled excitement in anticipation of the future promised me by all those who have blindly followed Obama on his nearly five year journey to this point.

It's partly relief that the idiot Bush is leaving (finally) and it's also jubilation that we've finally got a president who looks like he might actually know what he's doing.

Based on what? His stellar record of achievement in the Senate? Perhaps you refer to his unprecedented efforts in the Illinois house? Can't be his record of bipartisanship, because he has none. The truth is, GW, he knows what he's doing just as much as any other man who has taken the oath. I'd like to be a fly on the wall when he realizes just how tough it's going to be in the Oval. The facial expressions of the crestfallen can make for compelling photographs.

And soon to come is the resounding disappointment that will be experienced by those fawning psychophants when both they and Obama come to the realization that he can not and will not do all that he promised and all that they think he promised.

But you are correct, it is an inspiring day and Obama's election is certainly proof that, should one be willing to work hard enough, get an education too few can afford, buddy up to some people of questionable character who can further your ambitions, throw a few of them overboard at the first sign that they may drag you down, and remain purposely vague and avoid controversial votes, the color of your skin won't matter.

manu1959
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM
so throughout the campaign he promised all the thing he would do.....since his election have you noticed how he is shifting the responsibility from himself to you.......if he fails it will be because the people did not do enough.....

Hobbit
01-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Well, we kept saying that the president can't vote 'present,' but it looks like Obama plans to try his darndest to do so. Paraphrasing what the last good democrat president said to fit in with the modern party line:

"Ask not what your country can do for you, demand what your country can do for you!"

red states rule
01-21-2009, 02:15 PM

Pretty pathetic......

Turn on your TV. Check out the mood of euphoria in DC and across the country. It's partly relief that the idiot Bush is leaving (finally) and it's also jubilation that we've finally got a president who looks like he might actually know what he's doing.

Should I go back and find all your "postive" posts in regards to Pres Bush?

As far as your bullshit about African Americans who've endured 400 years of second-class citizenship, the US is only 232 years old

Where the hell do you come up with the number 400? In 1780, Pennsylvania became the first state to vote to end slavery