PDA

View Full Version : CNN's "coverage" of the inauguration

Little-Acorn
01-20-2009, 12:58 PM
I stopped by my company's cafeteria ten minutes before Obama was supposed to take the oath, there's a TV in there. It was tuned to Headline News.

And I was astonished. They showed the same pictures of the full Mall, the various dignitaries, the speechmakers, Obama and Biden etc... but didn't broadcast much of what people were saying or singing etc! CNN seemed to feel that we wanted to hear their own announcers - same ones that are on all day, every day - than to hear the speeches, songs, etc. They talked over half of Biden's recitation of the VP oath, and managed to get in the other half. Then when everyone was ready for Obama, CNN switched to an AARP commercial!

Fox News Channel isn't available on that TV, don't know why. But enough people in the cafeteria got sufficiently pissed off, that they started fiddling with channels, and wound up on CBS. At least that network had the sense to let the cameras and mikes roll, and keep their own mouths shut. So we heard the entire Obama oath, stumbling (by both Barry and John Roberts) and all. And we heard the inaugural address in full, too. I wonder if CNN showed any of it.

I guess I need a reminder every now and then, of why I don't like CNN. Since I never watch it, I tend to forget the particulars. But CNN reminded me well today.

KSigMason
01-20-2009, 01:14 PM
FoxNews announcers didn't speak much during the actual Inauguration. They let the ceremony go on.

darin
01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Funny about the media and Obama...saw this on another forum and it's perfect...

"They read a "cute" letter from a 7 year old on the radio this morning.. something like this.

Dear Mr. President,
Are you excited to be becoming President? Is your wife happy? What are your little girls names? Do they like their new school? Are you going to get a new dog? What kind? What are you going to name it? Have fun being the President.

Bobby, age 7...

.... the it struck me... this kids questions were, literally, the same questions posed (To Obama) by the media."

gabosaurus
01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
I totally agree with Little Acorn on this one. I can't recall how many times the announcers talked over parts of the program. The broadcast media's sense of self-importance has gotten WAY out of control.

5stringJeff
01-20-2009, 08:38 PM
We watched CBS at work. It was wonderful, except Katie Couric's remarks (e.g. as Rick Warren came up, she reminded us how "controversial" he was for his stance on gay marriage).

Kathianne
01-20-2009, 08:59 PM
We watched CBS at work. It was wonderful, except Katie Couric's remarks (e.g. as Rick Warren came up, she reminded us how "controversial" he was for his stance on gay marriage).

I thought Warren did a good job, I'm not a fan, (though has nothing to do with his 'gay' stand). Seems he got a better reception than Bush. Truly it was so wrong how the VIP's acted.

5stringJeff
01-20-2009, 09:04 PM
I thought Warren did a good job, I'm not a fan, (though has nothing to do with his 'gay' stand).

I wasn't particularly impressed, although I tend to not like 'ceremonial' prayers to begin with.