PDA

View Full Version : Obama is now my President, and I wish him success

Little-Acorn
01-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Success is, of course, increasing prosperity for the country as a whole, effective defense against enemies such as terrorists without, and defeat of corruption and injustice within; an economic "lifting of all boats", a decrease of the size and intrusiveness of government, etc.

What else could "success" of a President, possibly mean?

I think that some of the things he has said he will do (withdraw from Iraq before victory, increase taxes, "spread the wealth around", appoint justices like Gunsburg and Stevens etc.) will defeat any possible success. So, I hope he does not do them, but achieves success instead.

But I do hope he achieves success. REAL success.

GW in Ohio
01-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Success is, of course, increasing prosperity for the country as a whole, effective defense against enemies such as terrorists without, and defeat of corruption and injustice within; an economic "lifting of all boats", a decrease of the size and intrusiveness of government, etc.

What else could "success" of a President, possibly mean?

I think that some of the things he has said he will do (withdraw from Iraq before victory, increase taxes, "spread the wealth around", appoint justices like Gunsburg and Stevens etc.) will defeat any possible success. So, I hope he does not do them, but achieves success instead.

But I do hope he achieves success. REAL success.

Acorn: I think the main thing on Obama's plate is to put our economy on a solid footing, stop the recession and put Americans back to work. He also needs to put a stop to the mountain of debt that Bush created.

Personally, I favor disengaging from Iraq sooner rather than later. We are spending $billions there every month that could be put to good use in this country.

Immanuel
01-20-2009, 03:25 PM
To accomplish what this country needs, President Obama would have to be the messiah.

That being said, I wish him much success in pushing this country in the right direction.

Immie

GW in Ohio
01-20-2009, 03:47 PM
To accomplish what this country needs, President Obama would have to be the messiah.

That being said, I wish him much success in pushing this country in the right direction.

Immie

Not necessarily the messiah, just a very capable president.

Obama has a number of things going for him, e.g.,

He's very smart.
He isn't bound by ideology. He's already shown a tendency to reach across the aisle and enlist Republicans in a common effort.

darin
01-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Godspeed, Mr. President. May God get through that hard head of yours and grant you Wisdom to make the call that needs to be made on so many hard decisions. Nevertheless, May God's will - not your Will nor that of your followers - be done.

:)

(and it will...cuz God is like that.)

GW in Ohio
01-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Godspeed, Mr. President. May God get through that hard head of yours and grant you Wisdom to make the call that needs to be made on so many hard decisions. Nevertheless, May God's will - not your Will nor that of your followers - be done.

:)

(and it will...cuz God is like that.)

Amen, brother.

Little-Acorn
01-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Since he has not had a chance to do anything as President, and has done very little as a Senator, this is impossible to judge now.

He's very smart.
There is no evidence he is any smarter than any other President we've had. He is certainly articulate, which might give the impression that he is smart. But Ronald Reagan was equally articulate, and the Left continually smeared Reagan as an "amiable dunce". Until he proves otherwise, Obama cannot be considered any better than that.

He isn't bound by ideology.
I assume you are joking here, which is healthy. Good for you!

Obama, of course, has compiled the most liberal voting record in the Senate, voting for tax increases and against tax cuts, voting to increase govt intrusiveness, increase redistribution of wealth, increase the tax burden on people who already pay the lion's share of taxes, de-fund the military, etc. etc., literally every chance he has gotten.

Trying to talk Republicans into doing it too, doesn't exactly qualify as "moving to the center".

But if there's one thing Obama has shown, it's that he is the most ideologically-lopsided person in the Senate. And considering that he's among such contenders as Teddy Kennedy and Hillary Clinton, that's saying something.

As I pointed out above, I wish Obama success as President. But there are some things that will defeat success, and Obama has indicated a belief in them. If he follows through on much of what he has promised, he will fail to achieve the success that both he and I want, and the country will suffer for it. I hope he will find the wisdom to re-evaluate those things, and achieve the success I described.

emmett
01-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Acorn: I think the main thing on Obama's plate is to put our economy on a solid footing, stop the recession and put Americans back to work. He also needs to put a stop to the mountain of debt that Bush created.

Personally, I favor disengaging from Iraq sooner rather than later. We are spending $billions there every month that could be put to good use in this country.

Presidents have nothing to do with putting anyone to work in the private sector. People with vision who take risks and invest savings and earnings do that. The less we are taxed, the more of those entrepeneurs emerge from the masses to do that.

In regards to Iraq. We're there! I hate it too but am realistical enough to know that the job must be finished. I'm afraid your new president knows it too and that is why they are not on their way home now, nor preparing to come home as he assured us he would do in the early days of his campagne.

I do admire his seemingly new attitude toward President Bush. I notice that it started around the time they had their first closed door meeting. Hmmm! I wonder what Mr. Obama learned that day that he did not know already! I also notice a slightly different tone to his rhetoric of recent, again I believe as a result of his meeting with Bush. Some will label these softenings as flip slopping or waffling, I again being a realist, will label them realisms, which I think were brought to light by the dignified and co-operative President Bush and taken in well by our new President.

President Obama now knows things he could never have known prior to this morning. The codes for instance, the knowledge that he has the power to end mankind as we know it, his rank as commander in cheif, his commitment to be everyone's president, not just liberals and the many other pieces of knowledge he no doubt has been enlightened on.

Let's not forget how anxious liberals will no doubt be to poin t oput how much more co-operative republicans have been, (I'm sure there is no disagreement in this regard), than they were during the transition process of eight years ago. I suspect all equipment at the White House will be found to be in perfect working order, no hard drives will be erased, no pugnacious stickers will be found on mirrors, no slang insults will be found etched into desks or similar childish shit like the Clinton administration did then. I'm sure CNN, the NBC conglomeration, CBS and others will no doubt go out of their way to insure Americans know that these things are true and what a dignified administration just left the Hill.

President Obama on his first day has been given a much better head start than Republicans had for sure. A display of responsibility. Will one Liberal on here concede to that? Probably not! A couple might say yes ..... but! None will concede this purely obvious fact however and that my frioends is why the left will never work with the right in true harmony like a well oiled machine and why they will lose a record number of seats in house and Senate over the next six years. In 2010 the balance will be back in favor of Republicans and the same roller coaster will return to the top to offer another thrill ride to patrons game for the show!

6 confirmations today! No thirty minute questions like offered up by Ted Kennedy or his constituants, no stopping confo's because of stupid technical diff's like a houseworker who didn't pay income tax or was illegal, no stopping confirmation over the smoking of one joint (admittedly) like Judge Bork, hell, the President is an admitted cocaine addict and dealer, nope, race fans, start your engines............

My thoughts

Immanuel
01-20-2009, 07:36 PM

Obama has a number of things going for him, e.g.,

He's very smart.
He isn't bound by ideology. He's already shown a tendency to reach across the aisle and enlist Republicans in a common effort.

GW,

My point was that no man... no human being... can possibly solve the problems we face no matter how good of a leader he is. It is an impossible task set before him.

I only wish him the best.

But, I have not seen any real efforts to reach across the aisle. It ain't gonna happen in any way that really counts.

Immie

Hobbit
01-21-2009, 02:00 PM
I hope for the best but fear the worst. If he's as smart as everybody thinks he is, he will govern with a soft hand, let the market work, and remove the burdens from those who drive it. What it looks like he will do is rule, in his own words, with a very stern fist, letting the government pick the winners and losers and making sure that every citizen must turn to the government before all others for assistance.

In the end, though, it looks like he's going to be Clinton 2, rather than Roosevelt 2 or Carter 2. He's going to pick up his focus group and poll results every morning and use those to make policy decisions.

PostmodernProphet
01-21-2009, 02:33 PM
he's the president of my country....but I hope that the minority in Congress keeps him from fucking things up so badly it can't be fixed.....

stephanie
01-21-2009, 02:36 PM
he's the president of my country....but I hope that the minority in Congress keeps him from fucking things up so badly it can't be fixed.....

Things aren't looking so good on that front either..